*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2003226-The-Fairy
by Boo
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #2003226
A fairy, who has hidden her true life her entire life, is about to be discovered
As the raindrops drizzled down the glass of the window, my wings fluttered with excitement. Rain! Glorious, beautiful, heavenly rain! It hadn't rained for months and as soon as I had heard the patter of it on the roof that morning I had felt blessed. Having no rain was especially hard for me, a water element fairy.

I should explain what that is. Well, I was born into this world not completely human, but half-fairy. My mother was one of the enchanted beings and my father, a pure mortal, fell deeply in love with her as soon as he saw her. I'm not surprised either, she was a fairy of love with the gift of eternal youth and a beautiful face. She could charm people, I used to watch her charm my dad to do more housework when I was little, winding him round her little finger. She was gorgeous, my mother, until she got sick and was unable to be healed. Apparently even the supernatural can get cancer and leave us in this world.

Being only half-fairy, I can transform into my human form anytime I wish, and back to my true form again. This is handy because it means I have lived fifteen years as a relatively normal girl, growing up with mortals, going to a mortal school, having mortal friends ... it's done me good, I believe.

So here I am, sitting by my bedroom window while my dad is still snoring and it's barely even dawn yet. I sigh and take in the raindrops. I could have made it rain, if id had enough power. However, I will not be able to even cause a drizzle until I gain enough power and until my mentor, Leila, believes I am strong and experienced enough to do so. Fairies who are under twenty one and live down on Earth have to have a mentor to help us to learn to use our skills and powers. Leila, like me, is a water element fairy, gifted with talents to cause thunder storms and floods and control water. At the moment, I can only do the most basic skills our type of fairy has, breathe underwater. Leila taught me how to do that when I was ten and she's now teaching me how to control the waves in the sea.

I check to see whether my dad is still asleep and sure enough I still hard his raspy snoring, so I drift through the open window and sit on the tree branch near the pond. I sigh again, deeply, and let the cooling breeze blow through my shoulder-length black hair.

'Enjoying the rain then? Can't say I'm too fond of it myself,'

I scream and turn around, seeing the pair of bright green eyes first, then the rest of his face, tanned and smiling and beautiful.
© Copyright 2014 Boo (georgiaboo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2003226-The-Fairy