*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2003707-A-farmers-dream
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2003707
A sneak peak into a very special farmer's life who might just teach you a moral lesson.
I look up into the bright sky and adore the soft puffy clouds that swam above me, is the sky really just air or is it a form of the ocean where the clouds are actually sea creatures unknown to mankind? The answer to that, I knew not but what I did know was that if i spend anymore time day-dreaming the crops won't grow themselves. I walked into the barn and fed the hen,collected the eggs and grabbed a bag of seeds which needed to be planted. My family lived off the money it made after all!

After hours of hard work and sweat i made my way back to my house for a little afternoon lunch with my beautiful family. My wife,Zelena and my two angelic kids, Alexia and Norman. We ate some delicious curry with rice along with some bread made from the wheat flour which was delicious, warm and tender and every bite of it felt as though I were eating the clouds.

At sundown, a caravan had arrived. I sold my hardwork to the man and got a few dollars. My son had been wanting to ride a horse, now i could finally buy him one and I would train him myself. After another few hours hours of working and accounting I went home. My family and I love playing charades and it has pretty much become a dinner ritual. Charades and then dinner. Norman likes to call it the "Charaner" time. We have dinner and then Zelena and I tuck our kids in bed.We kiss them good night and then go to our bed.
Day after day, I work long hours and wish nothing more than to keep my family happy but tonight as i stared at the stars through the window, i wondered for the first time in my life how it would be if i could live a different life...perhaps a life in the city. Would my life be better? Would my kids be happier? Well, the truth is I would never really know...so instead of hoping for another life, why not make this one more fun? why not make this one more worthwhile?

With that said he turned and faced his wife and stared at her smiling.
"Is something wrong?" she asked.
I just shook my head and gave her a warm kiss on her forehead. "Nothing, dear. I just realized that my true happiness lies right here...with you all."
"Well, I don't know what you've been thinking about all day but i'm glad you found your happiness" replied Zelena smirking.We both chuckled and as I dozed off to sleep I smiled at the stars and nodded... I wouldn't exchange my life as a farmer for nothing!!
© Copyright 2014 Alex Parkson (alexparkson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2003707-A-farmers-dream