*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2004566-A-heros-story
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Other · #2004566
Please enjoy!
Long ago in a forgotten era when humans roamed the earth, humanity faced the threat of extinction due to demons. Demons invaded the earth leaving their abyss known as hell. They devoured humans, quickly diminishing their population. On the brink of destruction, a certain king prayed to the goddess of creation, Vena, for salvation. She answered the king's prayer bestowing the power of magic upon the king's son, Alden.

Alden was given the power of a goddess and was the last ray of hope for humanity. Burdened with the fate of mankind he was expected to be their saviour. Alden however was a pacifist and hated violence with every fibre of his being. Unable to fulfil the wishes of his race, he fled with his wife Serena.

Alden fled deep into a forest with his wife, isolating the two to nature. They lived peacefully together, this was short-lived. Demons invaded their home, resulting in the death of his beloved wife. Enraged, Alden called upon his mighty powers, banishing the demons. Carrying the deceased body of his wife, Alden swore vengeance on the demons.

Alden stood beside a mighty army crushing each wave of demon spawn; mankind had finally turned the tides of the war. As they won more and more battles, the men who stood beside Alden began to slowly dwindle away until he was the last remaining one.

He watched as fellow comrades fell battle after battle after battle. Warriors, who had pledged their life to Alden, perished in front of his eyes. Everyone Alden had cared about was gone. Although praised and worshipped as a hero, Alden felt nothing but emptiness and sadness.

Alden roamed the earth for years, battling demons and fighting for a cause he no longer believed in. One day, he met a woman who was both beautiful in appearance and gracious in personality. Instantly he was smitten and was in love. Her name was Elsa.

Finding a new purpose to fight for, he vowed to return back to Elsa and would ask her hand in marriage when he did. Alden once again set off, this time with his eyes set on ending the war, killing the demon king.

Entering hell, Alden killed millions of demons upon arrival. Continuously fighting, days passed but still Alden felt not even a hint of Exhaustion. Finally he had made it to the demon king's throne room, entering he was shocked to see what lay before him.

His love, Elsa sat upon the throne of demise. Heartbroken and enraged, the full of extent of his power was released. Reluctantly, the two fought with all of their might. When the ashes and dust cleared, Elsa's corpse remained, with Alden as the clear victor.
After years of fighting, he had finally won, he had ended the war. An event which was clearly to be rejoiced, yet Alden felt nothing but sadness. When he returned his people would celebrate to their heart's content and write stories and songs about his victory.

Alden thought of it, but he could not imagine it, not with the pain and suffering he was forced to endure. His task was completed and it was time to now end it all. Unsheathing the blade of want, Alden's sword, he pierced his own heart.

He felt no pain in fact he felt nothing. Alden smiled, finally he was free from it all, the duty that was thrust upon him, the impossible expectations, and the losses he faced. He collapsed to the ground lying beside the last person he ever truly loved.

Closing his eyes and fading into darkness, Alden dreamt of a world full of happiness and laughter. A paradise where peace reined every day and such a thing as violence didn't exist. "Avalon" he whispered with his final breath.








© Copyright 2014 Eleusis (phanatos at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2004566-A-heros-story