*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2004962-The-Young-Prince
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2004962
Assassination is in order to fix what has been done to the young prince's kingdom.
         The latest events in the kingdom of Phorlana were not an uprising of goodness, like the new king had promised. King Ares had promised no more hunger or thirst, affordable necessities and safer streets. A kingdom behind tall, guarded walls, where the children of Phorlana could run freely without their loving parents worrying about their protection.

         But politics are built with lies. King Ares had become king after his brother died with an incurable disease, his own son only a month from taking the throne from his uncle. A ring was held by the ruler of the land, so when King Ares’ brother had passed away, he was given the ring. He wore it in the day, flaunting the beautiful gold band around his right index finger. The ring had an intricate design of a black dragon circling the outside, the nose and tail touching. Some believe the gold that the ring was created from was melted by the fiery breath of the dragon Erdogan.

         Prince Faraei did not believe such nonsense. Or perhaps it was his hatred for his uncle that caused such sour thoughts. Prince Faraei was not usually so bitter, he was graceful and sweet and kind. The king of prince his father was, who thought of his people and kingdom before himself. He loved his people as if they were all part of his blood. Their problems were his problems, and it is why they all despised the deceiving King Ares. After the ceremony, he had shed the kind act and become the cold bastard he always was, hurting the innocent and punishing the blameless.

         The young prince, nearly eighteen years of age, decided to take matter into his own hands. He knew that if the king died he would be crowned as king, as he should have been. But Prince Faraei was only fifteen at the time of his father’s death, he had no capability to rule a kingdom. But over the years of putting up with his uncle, he had been gaining knowledge and strength. He could rule properly, and his people would be happy again. They would have everything that King Ares had promised and not given. It was up to the young prince to bring happiness back to the land of Phorlana, and gain the trust of his people that he had slowly been working to gain in secrecy.

         The mere kind actions that the young prince had been doing over the years would infuriate the current king if he ever found out. Giving an apple to a hungry child? Helping an elderly to her home so she would not be harmed by the callous guards. That was another thing Prince Faraei wanted to change. The kingdoms guards, even if he had to hire foreigners.

         “Faraei, my friend, it is time.”

         Prince Faraei turned his head to gaze upon his best friend, Hallier. He was supposed to be his personal servant, one that he could call on to make him food or get his clothing ready. But the young prince was independent, he didn’t need someone to do such easy tasks that he could do himself. But he didn’t get rid of the boy. He liked having him around, and he trusted Hallier with his life. It was why he chose him, specifically, to help him do the dirty deed he had been planning for months.

         “Very well,” said Prince Faraei. He turned from his position by the window, where he had stood and watched the few of his people walk cautiously and carefully to not anger the guards in the bright moonlight. It saddened him, seeing his people so afraid for their lives. But that would change soon. Sooner than the people truly thought. It was his eighteenth birthday in little over a month, and the people of Phorlana were already getting excited.

         The young prince and his best friend walked along the damp halls of the palace, chatting as if it were a normal day. They didn’t want to raise suspicion. Prince Faraei didn’t want anybody participating in the act that was to take place other than him. His friend was only accompanying him in his travels and finding what he needed.

         Most of the kingdom was asleep by now, if not then doing work. The young prince knew his uncle would be asleep, as he slept a whole twelve hours each night, from nine in the evening to nine in the morning. He didn’t take his duty as a king seriously, and it would all change tonight. A month earlier than planned. If he didn’t strike before King Ares, the prince would be killed first. The time was slimming, and he knew his uncle would find an assassin to kill him. The king was full of each of the seven sins just as equally.

         Lust; he bedded a woman once a night, which made the two young boys hope they would not stroll in on two sleeping figures rather than one. Gluttony; he had five meals a day, as well as snacks in between. The young prince found it disgusting. Greed; that was the main one. It’s what would be his demise, it was what the kingdom hated him for. Sloth; the man was lazy. He was larger than his own father, who he had taken ninety percent of his genes from. Prince Faraei knew it, whilst his father had taken his mother’s genes. Wrath; there was an ongoing war with three other kingdoms, which the young prince intended to ease immediately. The king was a very angry soul. Envy; the thing that started this all. King Ares had hated his older brother for getting the throne, and why he hated the young prince, as he was the heir. He had the right of the throne as soon as he turned eighteen. Finally, there was pride; the king had so much and gave so little. He admired himself above all others, and did not notice the achievements of anybody but himself.

         The young prince, whilst thinking about this, had started to become excited. All would go swiftly, he had a feeling. But he was also getting a feeling of being watched, and it was unnerving him. Each time he glanced backwards the hall was empty, and although he shrugged it off as his nervousness, he wasn’t quite convinced.

         “We part now, Hallier. Inform me of those who wish to enter. If you hear noise from inside, you leave.”

         “Faraei, do not think of such negativity. You’ll be in and out, I have a feeling,” replied his friend. He was happy he wasn’t the only who thought it would go well. But that watchful feeling had the hairs on the back of his neck stand up as he stepped through his uncle’s chambers silently. He had trained years to build such stealth and grace. It would all be put to the test tonight.

         The young prince glided carefully over the rough floor of his uncle’s bedroom, grasping the small vile gently in his pocket. King Ares was laid across his bed on his back, the bottom of his hairy belly showing. Supressing a grimace, Prince Faraei followed the instructions his friend gave him.

         Only a drop in the mouth and he is as good as dead. A single drop and nothing could be detected by the physician.

         He pulled the vile of blue tinted liquid from his pocket, removing the small piece of cork that kept it from leaking. He didn’t want to spill any more than a drop by accident, so he tilted the bottle onto his finger, wetting the tip a little, before pushing his finger, reluctantly, past the king’s lips. The king’s eyes fluttered a little, but didn’t wake. Hallier had told him it wouldn’t work immediately, to go onto the next part of the plan before checking the repulsive man’s pulse.

         Prince Faraei wiped his finger on his pants and shoved the cork into the opening of the vile. Quickly, he removed the necklace from the large sweaty neck, admiring the small brass key, before walking silently towards the wardrobe, where King Ares kept a small oak box. Prince Faraei had never seen inside the box, but it was small, though big enough to hold an iron.

         He took the box and lowered himself to the floor, crossing his legs as he pushed the key into its brother lock. A quiet click sounded, and the young prince knew everything was going to plan. But when he opened the box, he had to hold a hand to his mouth to hold back a scream.

         The interior of the box was covered in red felt, the ring wrapped around a bone of a finger. It wasn’t that, that scared the young prince, it was the small circles with eight legs that crawled over the edges of the box and onto the cold stone floor.

         Prince Faraei scrambled to his feet, stepping backward to distance himself from the small insects. He hated spiders, with a fiery passion. They terrified him, and it angered him that such insignificant things could bring him to the edge of panic. The young prince took another step back, but his back hit something soft. Softer than a wooden object, but rougher than curtains or a pillow. And when he felt the warm breath on the back of his neck he swirled around to see who had seen him. They could go to the courts, tell them he had committed an unforgivable crime. He could be hung for this, whether he was heir of Phorlana or not.

         He turned around, expecting an unsuited guard, or perhaps Hallier. But no, a woman stood before him. She was middle aged, yet he could still see an aura of youth around her. Her black hair was hanging over her shoulders, the top covered by the thin material that she wore as a hood, to conceivably disguise herself. Her clothing was dark and she wore very little jewellery on her person, he noticed, as she stood inches away from him. She wasn’t short at all, either. His height, maybe a little taller. And her eyes, her eyes pierced him with anxiety and curiosity.

         Who was this woman? How did she get in without him hearing her? He stood and stared with wide eyes as her lips quirked into a small smile that was meant to be friendly, but came across as a grimace.

         “Don’t be afraid, little one,” her voice croaked, almost like it hadn’t been used in years. “Take the ring and leave. You will rule this kingdom even better than your father. Your name shall go down in history-“

         She was cut off by the sound of banging on the large wooden door of the chamber. She glanced backwards at it, before turning her attention to the young prince once more.

         “Take the ring and leave through the balcony. You’ll face many impediments, and overcome them with the help of your friend. Trust him and let him influence your choices. Become the king you were destined to be.”

         The woman disappeared into a mass of wet mist, and it took a moment for the young prince to regather himself. He hesitated only a moment before reaching past the thinned amount of spiders, snatching his ring, and rushing through the balcony doors, glancing back. He could only hope the poison worked, and that the woman was right about him becoming a good king.

         “Faraei,” Hallier hissed. The young prince’s head whipped to his friends voice, finding him on the balcony above the one he was standing on helplessly. A ladder made of sheets was thrown over the side of the balcony that Hallier was on. “Hurry and climb! We do not have time for any dillydally.”

         Prince Faraei climbed the ladder of sheets, and thanking his friend with a hug, before they both exited wordlessly. Prince Faraei wasn’t sure why the guards had come to the room, but his mind wondered to the mysterious woman.

         You will rule this kingdom even better than your father. Your name shall go down in history… Become the king you were destined to be.
© Copyright 2014 cleverusernam3 (cleverusernam3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2004962-The-Young-Prince