*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2009252-A-Sentrys-Mission
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2009252
A lone alien is sent to Earth on a rescue mission to help save their dying world.
Their planet was dying. Deegan 382 knew it. The Elders of Alphenia did not have to tell the people that. After all many of the chief scientists had taken ships and travelled to the far reaches of the galaxy. They searched for sources of livable planets, but so far none were successful. It was the Venda who caused the devastation to their home. They were superior to the Alpheni in every way. Large broad shoulder race. They were able to manipulate other species by wearing ID masks. Their strength far surpassed them. Even a Venda youngling was able to send a full grown Alpheni through a derma-steel wall.

         Several standard months ago the Elders decided to organize an emergency meeting. They formed what they called Sentries to protect the remaining outer regions of the planet. Some of the Sentries were even sent with the scientists making sure they made it to their destinations. The Elders decided this was how they were to fight back.

         Deegan himself had been trained as one of these Sentries. Aooma 428 was his trainer and mentor. He was chosen simply because he was head and shoulders above his people. He was often teased mercilessly as a youngling… well they were not laughing now. For now they needed him.

         As Deegan walked out of his living space, Aooma pulled him aside.

         [Walked with me Deegan]

The Alpheni had no spoken language. They conversed in a song like telepathy. They called each other by their designated name and number; however, Aooma often bypassed this rule. He called Deegan by only his given name. Aooma said it was to be more personal with his students.

         [I am being assigned a mission am I not, Aooma 438?]

         [Yes Deegan.]

Aooma nodded his head. Another movement frowned upon. The Alpheni considered it rude. He did not, but rather enjoyed the movement. Aooma read a lot of pre primitive literature and sometimes mimic their style of movement for fun. Personally Deegan believed he only did this to distress the Elders.

         [I had received a transmission from Solara. She and Treck were followed by Venda kill squad to a Level-3 Terra planet. This kill squad killed a parental unit, but before they killed them someone had intervened on their behalf.]

         [Who intervene? What happened to Loomis 475 and Rikkar 321?]

         [They expired. This is where the transmission is unusual. They claim a native youngling intervened.  They continued stating he displays unusual abilities.]

         [Unusual? How?]

         [It was the youngling who picked up the cube and shift it into the weapon.]

         [I see.]

The cubes were accompanied by Sentries, they were encoded by their DNA. It is the Sentries who are trained to use these cubes. To everyone else it was only a metallic cube. This was intriguing indeed.

         [I informed the Elders of the transmission. They have agreed to send a Sentry to retrieve them as well as the youngling.]

         [You put my name before the Elders] Deegan guessed.

         [Yes. You are to retrieve them before the Venda send additional kill squads. Before you leave there other things to brief you on.

Aooma touched the cube he held in his hand a hologram popped up.

         

         Waters surrounded most of the planet with mountains and luscious green areas. It had a few arid areas as well.

         [It is beautiful] Deegan was in awe.

         [Indeed. Now then the youngling has two birth names Joshua Shepard no number designation like us.  The planet is Earth]

         

          The Venda followed close behind as Deegan raced toward the planet called Earth. He managed to shake off two of them and the three over maneuvered and hit the asteroid field. He took too much damage and hit the atmosphere with such force his whole vessel shook. The inertial dampers were off line. Deegan did his best to land softly but it was no use. The force of the impact knocked him unconscious. As blackness enveloped him his one thought was: I made it.



He opened his eyes; he was on his back staring upward. There were trees, but the trees were the wrong color.

Where was he? Alphenia? No. The trees would not be green. His eyes widen. Earth.  He crashed landed on Earth.

Think Deegan. Why are you here? He remembered. It was to rescue Treck and Solara and the youngling, Joshua Shepard. Deegan did not know if he was in the correct destination.

In the distance he heard a sound. What is that sound? Talking? No, not everyone here can talk. It was what Aooma said in briefing.

The sound became more persistent.  It was barking, yes that was what it was. Barking. What did Aooma say about barking? Seals?  No, he did not feel like he was near water. The air smelled wrong.

Canis lupus familiaris— domesticated dog. Yes that was it. A dog. Then he heard another sound, a command.

The dog kept getting closer and closer.

His body would not cooperate. He must be still in shock from the impact.

Then he felt hot, stale breath on his face. Then a lick on his cheek. The dog made a sound.

“Pal, heel,” a female voice commanded again.

The domesticated dog’s name is Pal. Intriguing. The dog lays his paws on Deegan’s chest and rested his head on his paws.

“Oh, goodness, are you alright? The person came into view. It was female, human. Her dark locks fell in her face as she bent over him.

Deegan worked his mouth. “Y-yes.” The sound was a bit odd coming from his lips. He never spoke aloud before. He made another sound in his throat, clearing it.

“Yes, I am well.”

The dog Pal pulled into a sitting position. Deegan wiggled his fingers. Then slowly rose into a sitting position as well. Deegan glanced at the woman. Concern covered her face. He guessed her to be adult form. Not senior adult form though, perhaps mid adult form. She wore articles of clothing most likely common to this area. Where ever this area was.

Deegan wiggled his toes. He rose unsteadily.

The young woman rose to help him.

“Are you sure? Let me take you to the county hospital.”

Hospital?  No, he mentally shook his head. Deegan somehow knew it would be unwise.

“No thank you. I am functional.”

The woman glanced around the field. “How did you get here?”

“I…” he faltered. He did not want to explain he came from another planet. This encounter should not have happened.

Pal pawed at the small metallic silver-like box on the ground. Deegan reached over and picked it up.          

“Beautiful box.” the woman admired.

“Thank you”

“Well, c’mon. It looks like you need a ride into town. If you won’t go to the hospital at least let me take you to the local clinic. It’s the least I can do.

Deegan made a gesture with his head, no.  The good thing he could say is he would be able to blend in. The Alpheni carried the same characteristics as the humans. Physiology was more different. The humans would know automatically he was not a native.

Suddenly the box lit up. A bright light shot to the sky.

“Oh, my,” the woman said in wonder.

Deegan touched the box and the light shut off. They needed to move fast. The beacon had set off a location. It meant the Venda caught it as well.

“We must hurry,” he said. Before she could ask any questions Deegan grabbed the woman by the hand, walking across the field and up the steep embankment.

“Wait; hold on, you’re walking too fast.” She stumbled. Deegan picked her up like a rag doll.

“We must keep running.”  He insisted.

“Why are you in a hurry?”

Deegan could not begin to explain who the Venda were.

“A …feeling. Please I cannot explain at this current moment.”

They reached a small, worn, wooden bridge.

“Which way?”

“Straight across it will lead us to the parking lot.”

“Parking lot?” he replied. He remembered in his briefing it was what humans referred to as a transport landing pad, “Okay.”

Deegan crossed the bridge and down a hill into what the female said was the parking lot. He paused again.

“Where is your transport?”

She raised her eyebrow, “Transport?”

Deegan realized his mistake, for the humans call it vehicle or car, not transport.

“I mean your car.”

“Over here,” she looked at him oddly as she stretched out her arm and pressed a button on her transport—keys, making a beep beep sound. Deegan followed the woman when she opened the back door Pal jumped in.

Deegan stopped to glance around. He tilted his head.

“You can climb in. I unlocked…”

“Shh.” He said, it made it lips feel odd. Nothing. No sound. He felt a sense of dread.

Then Deegan mimed her earlier action. He opened the passenger door.

“We must not tarry. Something is coming.”

A hawk screeched in the distance.

“Please get in,” Deegan said urgently.

The woman entered her vehicle and “started the car”.  The vehicle did not move, however.

The female faced him. Her lips were set in determination. The female’s expression was what Deegan would remember as ‘upset’. Humans were very good with their facial expressions.

“I am not going anywhere until you tell me what is going on,” she demanded.

“Please, you mus… Get down!”

Deegan pushed the woman down. Glass shattered everywhere.

“Start navigating!”

Without argument the woman pealed out of the parking lot.

Deegan sneaked a look over his seat. The dog Pal was in the floor whimpering and his fur bristling causing him to shake.

He glanced upwards. Deegan saw a beam firing towards them.

The Venda are already here? How? Then he remembered he lost two of them and those two vessels finally caught up to him. This was not good.

Apparently the human female saw it as well for she swerved and the beam missed them.

Deegan risked another look, he saw four individuals, very tall and wearing articles of clothing humans would refer to as black ‘dusters’ and sunglasses, though the sun was not shining. They too entered a vehicle.

“Did we lose them?”

“Unfortunately, no. They drive a vehicle of their own now.”

“Great.”

Deegan noted her tone of voice suggested sarcasm. Humans are also very good at expressing themselves through a variety of tones with their voices.

“If we live you had better give me an explanation. “

She glanced in the rearview mirror.

“You okay, Pal? When this is over I’ll get you a really big treat, okay, boy?” Pal just whimpered.

Deegan’s eyes widen. The individuals had quickly caught up.

“It would be in your best interest if you accelerate your vehicle.”

“I see them.”

A blue beam shot toward them once more. The woman avoided the first hit the second shot she did not. The car swerved badly.

Deegan remembered the metallic silver box.

He turned around in his seat, holding it out. Deegan touched it and the box transformed into a handheld pistol. He pressed the trigger lightly. A blue beam shot out with an impact causing Deegan to fall back hard into the dashboard. He noticed the other vehicle was blown into tiny particles.

The human female’s eyes widen as she glanced in the rearview mirror.

“I don’t know what you did, but I think they’re toast.”

Toast?  Deegan was told it was food humans ate involving heated bread. Or what Aooma called “slang”.  The handheld pistol changed back into the metallic box.

“I am in agreement.”

“By the way my name is Nadia Rollins you already know Pal.”

“Deegan.”

“Just Deegan?” he thought about a surname. He briefly glanced at Pal.

“…Black…Deegan Black.”

While driving with one hand she stuck out her other hand “Pleasure to meet you, Deegan Black.”

He grasped her hand and “shook” it. Aooma said it was a gesture used for friendship.

Deegan glanced in the rearview mirror and noticed what he must have looked like to her. He was about mid adult form, like Nadia, with dark hair and eyes. He did indeed blend in. Deegan made another familiar human gesture with his lips, he smiled.

         

“Welcome to Pine Falls,” Nadia announced, 20 minutes later.

“Pine Falls?”  The name was not the last location of the researchers and the youngling.

“Yep, population of 1,500.” Nadia parked her vehicle in front of a small building.

“What is this infrastructure?” Deegan asked.

“Cliff’s garage. If anyone can fix my vehicle, it’s him.”

“If he is unable to?”

“Then we head over to the car lot and pick out a new one.”

“I see.” He didn’t really. Deegan was not informed about “car lots”.

A human in senior adult form had come to great them, holding a bag.

“Afternoon, Nadia. Who is your friend?”

“Hey Cliff, this is Deegan Black.”

Cliff glanced at the monstrosity of what was her vehicle.

“Goodness, did you run into a rocket?”

“Something like that, is Anne home?”

Cliff nodded. Then he shook the bag in his hand.

“You want a treat boy?”

Pal perked up and Nadia opened the door. He happily bounded over to Cliff and looked at him eagerly. He handed him a milk-bone and Pal, satisfied with his treat, lies down on the floor gnawing it.

“Will it be alright if Pal stays here? I want to get Deegan settled.”

“Sure thing. I’ll be able to give an estimate sometime tomorrow morning.”

Nadia tugged on Deegan’s sleeve. “Come, I will get you settled at Anne’s.”

She looked both ways and crossed the street with Deegan.

The sign in the yard read: Anne’s Bed & Breakfast.

“Who is Anne?”

“Cliff’s wife. As the sign says she owns the bed and breakfast. They had been here for years. They are very generous people. Once you settle I want to hear the explanation.

“I cannot expand on the parameters of my mission,” Deegan said.

Nadia rang the doorbell. The habitat or home was a large three floor house with a large porch area with several wicker chairs on it.

“Door’s open,” a woman’s voice announced from within.

“It’s getting close to winter, so tourism has officially ended. You’ll be the only one here besides Anne. ”

“You will not be staying?”

“No, I live on the outskirts.

Nadia reached inside her back pocket and pulled out a card.

“This is my number; I am a dispatcher for the sheriff’s office as well as an unofficial deputy.” She flipped the card over. “My cell number is on the back.”

Deegan glanced down at the card. He looked up at Nadia. “This is meaningless to me. I am uncertain how to communicate here.”

“You do not know how to use a phone?”

Nadia opened the door and they walked into the foyer.

“I’ll be with you in minute, hon.” Anne called out from the kitchen.

“Take your time,” Nadia responded. She turned back to Deegan.

“You have never used a phone?” she repeated.

“Phones are not used to communicate where I live.”

“I see.”

A stout older woman walked into the foyer, wiping her hands on the apron as she went.

“Sorry, I was finishing making desert. Who is your friend, Nadia?”

“This is Deegan. He needs a room.”

Anne shook hands with Deegan. “How long do you expect to stay staying, hon?”

“I am uncertain.”

“Well, tell you what you can stay as long as needed. No charge.”

“Thank you.”

“Are you staying for dinner, Nadia? I’m cooking vegetable soup. Of course I already told you about desert.”

Nadia grinned. “You’ve convinced me.”

Anne led the way up the stairs.  She opened the first door on the left.

“You can stay here. The room is all ready cleaned. Dinner will be at six. The bathroom is down the hall on the right. I will let you settle in.” She closed the door quietly.

The room was quaint. The head of the four poster bed faced the back wall. A wardrobe was directly at the end of the bed. Adjacent to the bed was a large pane window with the drapes drawn.

The hardwood floor creaked as Deegan made the inspection of the room.

“It is…” he searched for the right word.

“Homey?” Nadia suggested.

He nodded. “Yes, homey.”

There was silence then Nadia spoke again. “Who were the people chasing us?”

Deegan hesitated.

She sat at the edge of the bed. “Look, Deegan, you owe me an explanation. I have my truck nearly blown by a blue rocket and you nearly gave poor Pal a heart attack.”

Deegan glanced at her. “I am uncertain if you would believe me.” He said finally.

Nadia folded her arms. “Try me.”

“As you have most likely made certain, I am not from Earth. I am from Alphenia.  My true name is Deegan 382. My mentor’s name is Aooma 428. My people’s only means of communication is telepathy. Our physiology, at least our outer appearance allows us to blend in as a human.” He took a breath. “I am a Sentry. I was sent on a mission to retrieve two researchers. Treck and Solara. They were accompanied by two other Sentries but they were killed by the Venda. The Venda were the people who opened fired on us. I was chased here but it seems they finally caught up to me.”

“That is why you don’t use phones.”

He nodded. “Correct assumption.”

“Please continue.”

“Our planet is dying. We sent scientists to search for other planets that could accommodate us, but so far no luck. Treck and Solara are the two researchers sent to Earth to us it is a Level-3 Terra planet. Simply stated, a livable Terra planet. What they were not expecting was a youngling to intervene on their behalf. After the two Sentries, Loomis and Rikkar were killed the youngling was able to manipulate the cube to transform into a weapon. Since the youngling has no other parental units my people thought it best to bring him home with us. This is why I am here.”

Nadia shook her head in disbelief.

“You’re right it is hard to take in. Though I already figured you weren’t from around here. You keep saying youngling, you mean a child?”

“Yes.”

“Humans can’t use the cube?”

“No. To you it is just a metallic box. You cannot transform it into whatever you may need. Sentries are the only ones who can. Our DNA is encoded into it.”

Deegan took another breath. “You have seen what has transpired. You know I speak the truth.”

“Yes, I do. It does make it easier to take in.”

Nadia stood to her feet. “I suppose I better retrieve the cube before Cliff gets a hold of it. You wait here.”

Deegan nodded. “I must rest anyway.”

Nadia left Deegan alone with his thoughts. He slipped off his shoes and lay down. Before long he slipped into sleep.

         

[Deegan, there is one other thing. This youngling may be the key to power up the hidden weapon. Our own scientists are baffled how to set it up. If this youngling has these unique abilities he is the answer we seek. He may be the one to save us all.]

[I understand.]

[However, you must hurry the Venda are onto us. If they retrieve the human youngling first then all is lost. They will have completely destroyed our only hope for Alphenia future.]

Aooma placed a memo chip inside a metallic cube.

[Everything else you need is contained within. Just speak what you need and it will provide it to you.]

[Thank you, Aooma for this opportunity. Thank you for recommending me to the Council.]

[You are welcome…]

         

Deegan sat up. Time was short, he had to find them before the kill squad.

There was a soft knock on the door, snapping him out of his thoughts.

“Enter.”

Nadia popped her head. Pal pushed himself through her legs, nearly knocking her over. He barked a greeting.

“I stopped by earlier but you were still asleep.”

“What is the hour?”

“It is night, you slept the whole afternoon.”

“Did I miss consumption hour?”

Nadia smiled. “We call it dinner, and Anne saved you some soup.”

“Thank you. My sleep cycle did rejuvenate me. I must retrieve the youngling Joshua as soon as possible.”

Nadia handed him the cube. “I was able to retrieve it before Cliff could ask questions.”

“Thank you. Much appreciated.” He pushed one side of the cube then repeated the process for all sides. A memo chip popped out. Deegan retrieved it.

The memo chip enlarged and a hologram came to life.  The hologram featured a human male child and statistics of his height, age, and current location.

“How far is Bozeman?”

“About 11 hours give or take. Driving, anyway,” Nadia replied. “What about your transport?”

Deegan pondered what he needed to do. “My escape pod disintegrated the moment I exited from it. My vessel was destroyed upon impact. So your people will not be able to commandeer it.  The only way to return to Alphenia is by Treck and Solara’s vessel. We must retrieve them.”



Four hours later they made their way to Bozman.

After several minutes Nadia spoke.  “Is there anything else we need to know about Joshua?”

“Yes, he suffers from what your medical unit call PSTD.”

Nadia blinked. “Really?”

“Yes, it was stated by the same medical unit it was acquired through his parental unit’s death.”

“I see. Poor kid.”



Eleven hours later they arrived at their destination.

“Where do Treck and Solora live?”

“They currently stay in a bed and breakfast much like Anne’s. Their last home was lost last month to a fire. They had to relocate.”

“That’s awful. Was anyone hurt?”

“No, your media had stated it was arson and the police was baffled as to who started it.”

“But you think otherwise.”

“Yes. Aooma was certain why they relocated. The Venda started the fire.”

They reached the heart of the town and Nadia drove slowly. Then Pal started whimpering.

“What is it boy? What’s wrong?”

She pulled in front of a bookstore and glanced in her rearview mirror to see the cause of his distress.

There were four men standing in front of the local paper building. Nothing unusual about that but they looked to be over six feet tall and all wearing dark shades, though it was cloudy outside.

“Uh, Deegan…” she started.

“I see them, Nadia.”

Pal started whimpering louder.

“I need you to stay quiet, Pal,” Deegan commanded gently.

He snapped his finger and told him to get down onto the floor of the truck. Pal complied and started shaking in fear.

“Those men are the Venda. They are of the same clan as the individuals who destroyed your original transport. They are currently wearing ID masks it is why they appear human. I do not think they have seen us yet,” Deegan climbed into the backseat of the truck and lies flat down.

“Now drive, and quickly. We need to retrieve Joshua before they do.”

She nodded not trusting herself to speak.

“No need to fear just drive natural.”

Nadia drove not even bothering to look as she passed. She turned the block and snuck a glance in her side mirror. The men were still chatting with the second man. Just then the elderly man collapsed and the men walked to their own vehicle.

“They just killed an elderly man,” Nadia whispered in horror.

“Have they left, yet?”

“Yes, they are just leaving now.”

“Then we must post haste.”

Nadia found the bed and breakfast. It was called Morningside Bed & Breakfast.  Underneath under small letters: WHEN YOU ARRIVE YOU ARE FAMILY.

“Deegan, I think we just ran out of time.”

He exited the truck and told Pal to stay.

“Correct assumption. According to the memo chip they should be here.”

They walked into the foyer area much like Anne’s, open spaced and homey. However, it was built from cedar wood not pine wood.

The middle age woman smiled.

“May I help you?”

“Yes, my husband and I were supposed to meet friends of ours. They were accompanied with their son, about 12 years of age.”

“Oh, yes, pleasant couple. A tad odd, but pleasant. They came in about month ago.”

“Yes, well could you tell me what room they are staying in?”

While Nadia and the woman continued chatting, Deegan closed his eyes and thought: [Treck, Solora, we are all in great danger. It is time for departure; where are you?”]

A moment of silence. Then:  [We are in the third room from the washroom.]

Deegan pulled Nadia off to the side.

“They are in the third room from the washroom. We must hur….”

Suddenly there was loud barking.

Deegan whirled around.

“Hurry Nadia grab the youngling and the others, I will hold them off as long as I can.”

To the woman he said: “Quickly, where is the back door?”

“Straight through the kitchen, but why?” the woman looked confused.

“Then that means we have to go downstairs,” Nadia pointed out.

“Stay down and stay hidden,” he instructed the woman.

Nadia bounded up the stairs while Deegan ran out the door. He saw them before they saw him. Thank goodness.

He reached inside the truck and grabbed the cube. Then he opened the back door and grabbed Pal by the scruff of his neck.

“Sorry, Pal, but we do not have time for pleasantries.”

He ran with the cube and with Pal on his heels as he ran inside. Nadia came down the stairs, stumbling on the last three steps.

Treck quickly lifted her up while Solora had Joshua in her arms.

“Solora take Nadia, Joshua, and Pal and run. Do not look back. Understand? Do not stop for anything. Also take the mistress of this house…”

The woman was frozen in fear; Nadia helped her to her feet.

“No time to be afraid,” Nadia said.

Solora, Joshua, and Nadia raced out the back through kitchen and out the door.

“What about the other men?” the woman asked.

“They are giving us time to get away. An elderly man has been killed.”

The woman gasped in horror, “What did the man look like?”

“I don’t know. He was in front the local paper building,” Nadia said.

The woman gasped in horror, “Oh no that was Earl Cartwright. He runs the local paper.”

They ran to the woman’s vehicle and climbed inside. Just then a blue beam shot by them. Luckily it missed.

“We must hurry faster.” Nadia said urgently.

The boy had remained quiet but his eyes told them he was very afraid.

The woman spun out of the parking lot and heard a sound of something being hit. Nadia glanced back and saw they had hit the Venda.

“Where are we heading?" the woman replied. An explosion rocked the car and all four of them looked back this time.

The roof of the bed and breakfast was gone.

“My father is going to kill me.”

“I believe it is the least of our concerns,” Solora stated.

“I do hope Deegan and Treck are okay,” Nadia commented.

“Treck is with Deegan. Deegan is a Sentry, they will be fine,” Solora reassured.

“I ask again where are we heading?" the woman asked.

“We have to head back to Pine Falls,” Nadia said.

“PINE FALLS! I can’t go to Pine Falls; I have a life here, well had.  Anyway, where is Pine Falls. What’s there and who are those people and…and”

Solora placed a hand on her shoulder, “Please calm yourself, it will not do you any good to panic.”

“Don’t panic! This is a perfect time to panic.” She ranted.

Suddenly, something or rather someone jumped in front of their vehicle causing the woman and Nadia to scream. The woman swerved out of the way. Pal whimpered loudly.

“It’s okay, it’s okay,” Nadia said, mostly to herself.

Out of the corner of her eye Nadia saw the Venda raise his arm.

“Duck!” she screamed.

Everyone hit the floor of the vehicle except for the woman of course, who drove. The blue beam hit the tire, hubcap and all. The woman tried to turn into the swerve but overcorrected and the car turned on its side hit the guardrail and continue sliding another few feet.

         

All was quiet for the moment, and then Nadia spoke, “Is everyone all right?”

Pal was the first Nadia heard; followed by Solara.

“The boy and I are well.”

The woman groaned. “I think I am still alive.”

In the distance there was an explosion. The shockwave rattled the vehicle.

Then the door opened and Pal was yanked out. He yelped in protest. The driver door was opened and the woman was yanked out. Nadia was pulled out and she tried to fight back.

“Nadia stop!  It is I Deegan, you are safe now.”

Nadia stopped struggling and looked up; it was Deegan’s face all right. Pal padded over to Deegan and licked him. He in turn scratched his head.

“Let us not tarry,” Solora said. She climbed into the first vehicle.

“What happened to the others?”

“We took care of them,” Treck responded.

The woman climbed out of her vehicle with the help of Treck.

“I fear you cannot come with us, we have appropriated another vehicle for you take you home.”

“What, what do you mean?”

Treck reached out his hand and touched her forehead, “You will not even remember what has happened, go home.”

The woman nodded as in a trance and walked to the second vehicle. After she was gone from sight, they started their own vehicle.

“Did you just do  some sort of a memory wipe on her?” Nadia asked.

“Yes, and as soon as we leave we will do the same to you.”

“No!” Deegan said sharply.

Nadia blinked in surprise. She had not known him to possess anger. Even the boy jerked in surprise.

“Why do you say this? You know she cannot know much more of our existence, it places us in jeopardy,” Treck argued.

It was Solora who responded, “She is an ally, Treck. An important part of us now.”

“For now we must return to our own world.”

Five hours later, they pulled onto a dirt path and pulled to a stop at an open field.

“I thought we were heading back to Pine Falls why did we stop?”

“Treck and Solora’s vessel is in the barn. It has more than sufficient room and provides adequate supplies for Joshua as well.”

For the first time since they departed Joshua spoke, “Do we go now? Are we finished?”

Solora touched the boy’s shoulder.

“Yes we go now, come Treck, we will give a moment to Deegan and Nadia.” The three of them climbed aboard the vessel.

“I’m surprise no one noticed a shuttle sitting here,” Nadia commented.

“Safety precautions were put into place beforehand,” Deegan replied.

“Of course they were. What about the Venda? Will they return?”

“Not on Earth. Not today. Our people well the Sentry Corps are waiting for us should the Venda greet us in space they will, how do you say it, be more than a match for them.”

Deegan stepped closer to Nadia.

“And what about me? Will you ‘memory clean’ me?

“No, it is as Solora said, you are valuable ally.

Deegan touched foreheads with Nadia and she gasped. She saw the universe as he saw it. Thousands of galaxies never before seen. And as quickly as he did he pulled away.

“It is done. We have bonded and I have given you a great gift.” he said softly.

Deegan climbed aboard the shuttle and Nadia backed away, pulling Pal with her. He whined.

“You know we cannot go with him, Pal.”

They watched until they were nothing more than a speck in the sky.

SIX MONTHS LATER

Nadia was on the porch with Pal watching the evening stars as she had been every evening since Deegan’s departure. Pal whined and she touched his head.

“I know you miss him Pal, so do I. I hope Joshua is okay as well. He seemed like a sweet boy.”

Nadia arose and stretched. She stepped off the porch. Something inside stirred with emotion.

She touched her abdomen.

“I have a feeling Pal we will indeed see him again.”

Pal barked an agreement.

© Copyright 2014 J.K. Wyatt (evermute at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2009252-A-Sentrys-Mission