*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2011155-Gauntlet-challenge---day-9
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Other · #2011155
Kelly wants justice
Prompt: Often, a person faces the worst injustices at the hands of supposed protectors of that justice. Corrupt policemen and politicians; judges that can be bought off, juries that are rigged. Laws that promote illegal and unjust acts. Write a scene in which your character faces the worst sort of injustice possible: a betrayal by those sworn to serve and protect.


“Boone resident Anthony James Corrigan, age 19, was arrested yesterday at the Pearl Diner after patron, who asked to remain anonymous, complained to the management that he was seen entering the ladies room shortly after her daughter.

Upon Corrigan’s exit from the restroom, Pearl Diner owner, Stephen Grigorakis, confronted him, at which point Corrigan became angry. A verbal altercation ensued, during which time off duty police officer Lieutenant Mark Reynolds approached Corrigan and Grigorakis.

According to witness Chelsea Burke, who went to Boone Valley High School with the suspect, Corrigan attempted to move past Grigorakis and Officer Reynolds, but was blocked by the officer. Burke said she didn’t believe her former classmate had done anything wrong. “He wouldn’t hurt a fly. He just wanted to leave peacefully,” she told reporters.

At the time of his arrest, Corrigan was wearing female clothing and makeup, but his identification listed him as male. Burke stated that Corrigan had come out as transgender just before graduation, and had been seen around town in women’s clothing for the past several months.

While California law prohibits the discrimination of transgender individuals, the charges brought against Corrigan include disturbing the peace and stalking. He was released on $1,000 bail.

I’m Sandra Cortez for local access network news.”


“Dad, we have to do something.” I was on my feet and pacing by the end of the news segment.

Dad put down his coffee cup and sighed. “Do you know her?” he asked.

“Yes. Andrea came to the Out Rainbow teen meetings until she turned 18. I’ve seen her around town a few times since then, but we haven’t spoken.”

“What do you think?”

“The charges are bogus, of course. You know as well as I do that Reynolds is a bigoted, racist, homophobic, transphobic asshole!”

“Language, Kelly. Your brother.”

I glanced back to where Jonah sat at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of cereal. “Sorry, Dad. But it’s true.”

“Undoubtedly it’s true. But what can we be expected to do about it?”

“I want to stage a protest. At police headquarters.”

“A protest? Kell, honey, do you really think it’s a good idea to rile up the Boone police department? We have to continue living here in peace, and you certainly don’t want to give them reason to find fault with your public behavior, do you?”

I couldn’t believe Dad was trying to talk me out of this. “Are you kidding me? Dad! I can’t just think about myself and my family! Can you imagine how I would feel if something like that happened to me? Michelle must be horribly traumatized. Reynolds can’t get away with this.”

I was able to convince Dad, who was able to convince Mom, who was able to organize a small group of people. By noon we were set up at folding tables in the garage, painting signs. By five PM, twenty of us were standing across the street from police headquarters, signs held high. Mom stayed home with Jonah, who didn’t do well with a lot of noise.

IT’S NOT A CRIME TO HAVE TO PEE! read one sign.

HER NAME IS ANDREA read another.

Suddenly, four uniformed officers emerged from the building. One of them was Lieutenant Reynolds. My gut clenched with anxiety when Reynolds pulled his weapon. Thankfully, one of the other officers stayed him with a hand on his arm. He returned the gun to its holster, but I could feel his anger radiating from across the street.

“Do you folks have a permit?” one of the officers called, as they crossed the wide boulevard.

I stepped out to the front of the group, my sign held high. SHE USES THE LADIES’ ROOM & GETS ARRESTED. SHE USES THE MENS’ ROOM & GETS BEAT UP. WHICH WOULD YOU CHOOSE?

“Kelly.” I recognized Officer Snyder as they moved closer. His son went to BV Charter with me.

He turned to my dad. “Listen, technically you don’t need a permit, since you’re not blocking traffic. But is this really a good idea?”

Dad looked back to me. “This is Kelly’s game, Dan. You know how important this is.”

Officer Snyder nodded. “But she’s stepping on some toes, Grant.”

I cleared my throat and Officer Snyder turned to me.

“Officer Snyder, with all due respect, progress and change rarely happen without a few toes getting crushed. A friend of mine was victimized and traumatized by one of your officers. She needs an apology. No one was in any danger, no one was threatened, and no laws were broken when Andrea used that restroom. And your force needs some training.” I handed him some information I’d printed out from the National Center for Transgender Equality.

A small group of curious citizens had gathered by this time, a few recording our conversation on their phones.

“That Corrigan was the one who needs to apologize,” Officer Reynolds growled at me. “He went into that restroom when there was a little girl inside!” He addressed the second comment to the audience and smartphones.

I looked at Officer Reynolds, who was glaring daggers at me. “Lieutenant. I don’t know about you, but when I go into a restroom, I’m thinking about using the facilities. Most of the time, I’m thinking about how fast I can get in and out again. It’s a really scary thing for a transgender person. What are we supposed to do when we’re out in public and have to go?”

“Use the damn bathroom you were born to use!” he snarled.

“I wasn’t born to use a restroom. I was born to make a difference in the world.”

“You’d better watch yourself, you little freak. You’re in my sights, now.”

“You’d better watch yourself, Lieutenant,” Officer Synder said. “You’ve just put yourself in my sights. Threatening a civilian is not permissible, nor is it advisable. And arresting a civilian on false, trumped up charges is enough to get you put on desk duty.

At this point, Officer Reynolds realized that he might not want his part in this recorded for posterity. “Clear out!” He yelled to the crowd, who scattered at the sound of his angry voice.

“Wait! Come back,” I called to them. I nodded to a few of the folks who still had their cell phones in hand, then turned to Officer Reynolds.

“Your apology, Officer?”

Knowing he’d been beat, Reynolds put on his best professional demeanor before addressing the cameras.

“Ladies and gentlemen.”

He turned slightly to give me a quick glare before continuing.

“A grievous error was made yesterday at the Pearl Diner. A man . . . err person . . . was arrested under circumstances which were less than clear. These charges will be dropped immediately.” He grinned like a politician.

“And Andrea?” I prompted, not yet satisfied that justice had been served.

“And . . . err . . . my humblest apologies to the accused for any harm these actions may have caused.”

It wasn’t much, but it was a start.

Word count - 1,167
© Copyright 2014 Merry Mumsy (amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2011155-Gauntlet-challenge---day-9