*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013439-The-Birthday
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #2013439
Part 3 of my collection of short stories, which is titled "Light at the End of the Tunnel"
THE BIRTHDAY


         A combination of extreme excitement and nervousness bubbled in my chest as I sat in the waiting room. My palms were beginning to sweat as I continuously wrung them together. I didn't know what to do with myself as the waiting slowly killed me on the inside. The clock seemed to be covered in molasses with the hands moving ever so slowly.

         The memories of the past few months began to assail me. The romantic night on the lake. The moment we heard the news. The joy and happiness on her face. The shopping and decorating for the new addition on our home. The party where all of our friends congratulated us. Down to just hours ago when the love of my life went into labor.  All of it flew past my eyes as if I was reliving them in fast-forward. 

         "Sir?", a voice punctured through my thoughts, snapping me back to reality.
         
         "OH!" I exclaimed, jumping out of my seat "What happened? Is everything alright?"

         "Everything went perfectly", she said with smile, "Come with me."

         I breathed a sigh of relief, completely forgetting I had been holding my breath. All the negative scenarios I had played in my head for what could have gone wrong in that instant were gone just as soon as they had arrived.

         "Alright! Lead the way"
         
         I followed the nurse through the hallways to the viewing window. I could see little bundles in their pink or blue blankets cooing, crying, or sleeping. I saw the newest addition being added, wrapped in a bright pink bundle. Happiness that I had never felt before overtook my entire body as tears flowed down my face at the sight of my first child.

         Later I found myself in the hospital room with my wife and newborn child. My wife and I both had huge smiles on our faces that would just not go away. The corners of my jaw began to twinge a little because of the continuous tugging of the smile. The child was asleep as I held her in my arms. I couldn’t believe how small she was. The little fingers, nose, eyes. Eyes. They were the same beautiful chestnut color as her mother’s. The same chestnut eyes I still can look into and get lost in forever. I knew the next 18 years were going to be difficult, but I was ready.

         I started to imagine the different milestones in her life, her first steps, first day at school, first car, first date… Again tears began to well in my eyes.

         ‘We’ll get there when we get there’, I thought to myself.

         The little child slowly opened her eyes and a big grin began to appear on her face. It was the first time I’d seen her smile. I would remember that smile for the rest of my life.

         “Welcome to the world, Emma.”
© Copyright 2014 John Cardinal (johncardinal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013439-The-Birthday