*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013444-The-Monster
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Crime/Gangster · #2013444
Part 6 of my collection of short stories, which is titled "Light at the End of the Tunnel"
The Monster


          The small man was standing a mere five feet away from me in the alleyway in the middle of an abandoned neighborhood. The smile on his face made my blood boil with rage. My entire body was shaking madly as I clenched every muscle in my body, holding back so I could get what I wanted before I killed him. Once I did, I was going to rip his tiny body to shreds.

         “So… it seems you’ve finally caught me haven’t you?” he said calmly.

         “I have… you bastard, and soon you will be begging me for mercy.” I said through gritted teeth.

         “Oh really? Me? Begging you for mercy? In my opinion, this is going to end up the same way as it did with Riley”

         I clenched my fists harder at the mention of her name, I could feel a warm liquid draining through them, dripping off my wrists onto the ground. The thought of her screaming made me want to vomit with rage.

         “You motherfucker! Don’t you dare say her name! I’m… going… to kill you!” I screamed.

         “Then what are you waiting for?” he taunted, his smile growing with every word.

         I charged forward, putting all my momentum into a football tackle. I reached him, but then ended up on the ground behind him, scraping my joints on the asphalt as I slid. With little effort, he had used my own momentum against me, tossing me to the ground.

         “Well, that didn’t go as you planned now didn’t it big guy?”

         “Fuck you!” I screamed, getting back up.

         I took a few steps towards him going for a right hook. He effortlessly blocked it, sending my arm to the side, opening up my midsection. He took this opportunity to slam his shoulder into my abdomen with the full force of his body, the blow knocking me back to the ground. I saw sparks in front of my eyes as I tried to get up again, breathing heavily after getting the wind knocked out of me.

         I concluded that pure rage wasn’t going to help me against a trained fighter. I needed some sort of strategy. I calmed my breathing as I focused on him and only him, removing all other thoughts from my head.

         “What’s up coach? Giving up already? Oh imagine how you look right now in Riley’s eyes”, he continued to taunt me, not even a smidge of fatigue to be seen.

         I growled. “How about you come get me you coward?”

         “With pleasure” he sneered.

         He took calm, precise steps towards me, as I readied myself to execute my plan. His first move was a left jab, perfectly executed. I was able to block it, but he quickly recovered, grabbing my head with both hands and brought his knee to my face.

         The blow knocked my head back, almost sending me skyward. Blood spurted out of my nose as my vision went dark for a few seconds. I staggered back, wiping the blood from my eyes and mouth. Spitting a huge glob of blood out, I lost all my senses and charged once again, screaming a murderous war cry.

         The man’s eyes popped open, his smile disappearing into a frown. Luckily, this tackle connected beautifully before the man could react. I heard a loud crunch as we made contact with the asphalt. I had pinned beneath my legs as I straightened my back.

         “Well that didn’t turn out the way you had hoped huh bitch?!” I yelled, spitting into his face.

         A look of absolute terror covered the man’s face as he struggled against my weight. All the rage I had been holding back during the fight was beginning to boil back up as the memories of the last six months flashed before my eyes.

         The moment I found out my daughter was missing. The hours of searching. The moment that the police had caught this man beneath me. The moment I saw her mangled body. The moment the police let the man go as they didn’t have the evidence needed. The moment I swore I would end him. All the searching I had conducted myself, using all my savings to track him down.

         All of it… All of it… Had let up to this moment. This moment.

        I could feel the cold night air on the back of my neck as a sickening elation was rising through my throat, escaping me as a soft, demonic laughter. I had begun to lose myself in my quest of vengeance. Vengeance against the man that had raped and murdered my daughter. Fulfillment of my ultimate wish was within my grasp.

        The sides of my vision disappeared into an inky blackness as I focused solely on the face in front of me. The face I so hated, down to the very core of my being.

        I reached both my hands to his face. Grabbing the sides, I placed my thumbs over his eyes. I put a slight pressure on them, sending them into his skull. Bit by bit I pushed, with more force. Blood seeped over the lids of his eye sockets as he screamed. The scream was music to my ears. I finally pulled out my thumbs after pushing them down to the knuckle in his eye sockets.

        A part of me was telling me to stop… To just leave him there and walk away. But a stronger, more forceful part of me told me to continue. This time with his ears.

        Grabbing his ears, I grasped them with my thumb and fore finger. Using my upper back muscles as drawing a bow, I tore off both his ears. His scream intensified, transforming into an animal-like screech.

        “WHY DID YOU DO IT?!” I screamed as tears fell down my face.

        His screaming died down into a light sob, which then bubbled into a soft raspy laugh, much like the one I that had been coming out of me.

        “Why *cough* did I do it you ask?” *cough* “I did it for the nut!” he laughed maniacally.

        A satanic level of rage overtook me as I grabbed his head once again.

*Crack*

*Silence*
© Copyright 2014 John Cardinal (johncardinal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013444-The-Monster