*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013605-Rx-FOR-THE-DOCTOR
Rated: 18+ · Other · Emotional · #2013605
Healthy Love


Charlie Gordon awoke at 7:ooa.m. that bright June morning; but not because he planned it. The sun came streaming through a shadeless window he had forgotten to shutter the night before. That blazing ball shown between the spiked skyscrapers in the distance and blinded him. He grumbled over the longer sleep he could have enjoyed.

“Gotta get up anyway,” he remembered. Charlie dragged his old bones over to his tenth story window, rubbed his eyes and looked down on the creeping cars and foot racing workers. An aircraft descending out of a clear blue sky into Kennedy airport caught his attention. He imagined himself and his dear departed wife Clara, as passengers returning from a distant hideaway, always happy to be home again. Her memory followed him since she passed away two years ago. He rarely left his bed without an affectionate pat on the empty mattress beside him.

“Get up, Lenny.” He yelled to his dozing son and his chosen driver this morning. His new doctor, Nancy Carter, would be expecting him at eleven a.m. for his first visit. His former long time friend and physician, Dr. Haven had retired. She was recommended as a replacement. “She’s an eyeful,” smiled Dr. Haven, “but she knows her stuff.”

Charlie mulled over the doctors last statement, as he stole a few more minutes under the covers, before he forced his warm toes onto the cool wood floor.

‘If I know that old joker Haven, she’s probably an old hag. Haven, was a wiley old prankster and could always get a laugh at the unexpected.’

Charlie gave out a tremendous yawn. “Lenny,” shouted Charlie, “I don’t hear you. Get your ass out of bed and get dressed. You’re driving me to the doctor this morning.”

The thirty-five year old handsome Lenny hollered something unintelligible from down the hall confirming his Father’s command.


Charlie’s mirrored reflection over the bathroom basin showed an attractive face, younger than his seventy-three years. Smooth features, a twinkle in his eye; and convinced he had many good years ahead of him.

Lenny, also smart and independent, like any good son, looked after his Father’s needs and lived with him. His work at a computer sales facility was flexible enough to see to that end.

After a quick breakfast they were on their way.

Dr. Carter’s office was none descript and was typically simple. A wall mounted T.V. counseled its waiting patients on how to pursue a healthy but boring long life. Charlie figured he had done pretty well without its redundant advice, and stuck to shuffling through the old magazines on the rack beside his seat. He was surprised to find “Playboy” among them; a sign of modernity.

A short wait and both he and Lenny were conducted into a simple examination room and waited a few moments. The room was suddenly showered with an unexpected burst of beauty when Dr. Nancy Carter entered, dressed neatly and attractively.

Both Lenny and father surged forward out of their seats. ‘She’s absolutely adorable.’ Neither one could turn his eyes away from her. Charlie stuttered, “Are you the d-d-d –doctor?” In his opinion she was a combination of Ava Gardener and Marilyn Monroe. Charlie blessed old doctor Haven for one of his rare honest wise cracks.

She understood their shock, but without showing any reaction, simply stated, “Yes.” A litany of mixed medical and other talk followed, Charlie still stuttering. Lenny did notice that she eyeballed him occasionally. Fast and loose Lenny was quick to reciprocate.

Charlie continued to stutter a bit while he tried to explain that he didn’t always stutter.

“I’m sorry,” confessed Charlie, finally getting his speech under control, “you have taken me completely by surprise, I don’t mean to be offensive, but at my age I have learned to shortcut many old formalities and to more freely express inner thoughts and feelings. I have to say that your attractive appearance has become an immediate palliative to my condition. I must admit that the few words spoken between us have already made me feel better, even younger. I mean no offense, and hope you will excuse an old man’s delirium.”

Doctor Nancy leaned back in her easy chair, smiled and said, “Mr. Gordon, you do not offend me by any means, quite the contrary, every woman, single or married, can use a compliment. I’ll bet you must have been a ladies man once.”

Charlie’s ardor soon cooled a bit when she added, speaking directly to Charlie, and ignoring Lenny, “Please remember, that our relationship is professional.”

“Of course,” he agreed. That still didn’t change that old school boy crush.

Lenny felt that her professionalism didn’t really apply to him and was happy to remember that he was still single and available.

After a short physical she told Charlie to call with the slightest concern for his health. “And I’ll be looking forward to seeing you at your next appointment.

Lenny didn’t miss a trick. “Doctor, I’d be glad to help you with any computer problems you may have. Among other things, that’s my specialty.” “Thank you kindly,” she smiled.

Dr. Nancy felt that his specialty was definitely not so much computers but rather the ‘other things’.

The evening after the visit Lenny asked his father, “What do you think of her?”

“Think of who?” asked Charlie, knowing full well ‘who’ it was.”

“Dr. Nancy, of course, Dad.”

Charlie repressed his real feelings, “oh, she’s very refreshing, when you talk about doctors.”

“I think I could go for her in a big way Dad, she’s beautiful. I’d really like to know her better.”

Charlie was not surprised, remembering Lenny’s few flighty experiences involving other women. He never seemed to settle down with anyone. He was thirty–five and still single. Charlie was well aware of today’s loose living styles and could only go along with the times. He did long for some of the good old days, when he could compete equally on the playing field.

Charlie had an irrepressible crush on his doctor, but he kept silent. The very idea of competing with his son in a love bout was anathema to him. He tried a diversion.

“Lenny, what ever happened to sweet Rosie, who you used to bring around here? I thought you were going to take the final plunge.”

“Not me Dad, she met a guy who was much more serious than I about settling down. Haven’t heard or seen her since. Hope she’s happy and pregnant.”

That idea failed. Charlie continued.

“How do you know whether Dr. Nancy has a husband, a lover or maybe both.”

Lenny had faced such situations before, and was quick to respond.

“Could make the game spicy, but I’d either come out on top or retreat, like a good soldier.”

Charlie paused. “I don’t like to preach Lenny.” said Charlie, “but I am surprised at your general lack of respect for some of your lady friends. That’s why they don’t take you seriously. You treat them as play things, but they are the missing half of what makes us complete individuals. Think it over son. I want you to realize where real contentment lies. No one can promise you a bed of roses, but at your age you should begin to think of a permanent partner.”

Charlie’s advice went right over his son’s head. A half hour later Lenny put in a call to Dr. Nancy’s office, barging into her work schedule.

“Could we have lunch tomorrow? I must see you before our next visit.”

“You are impetuous, Lenny. I’d like to see you and straighten out a few things with you, before we go any further. Frankly, I like you; but let’s have lunch first. Is 12:30 okay, at the Pit Stop, around the corner?”

Lenny was thrilled, “You won’t be sorry.” Charlie overheard the conversation with impending concern.

‘The Pit Stop’ was really the ‘pits’, but was convenient. Good for a burger or a wrap. The doctor dressed down for the meet. Lenny had combed his hair and put on a clean shirt. She wore an insipid smile when she refused his extended hand. His eyes never left her.

“Lenny, before you start, I want you to know that you’re an attractive man; but this won’t be going anywhere. I’ve got a boyfriend, and I’m not breaking up.”

“Won’t you give me a tiny chance to break up your happy two-some?” She did like his sense of humor, and could not restrain a giggle. They both ate quietly. Lenny broke the silence. “You won’t give me a chance. I thought you liked me and that was why you met me here.” “I’m sorry,” she answered, “I really don’t want to hurt you, but it is out of respect for your father that I really met with you. I don’t want to cause any bad blood between you two and I hope you will understand.”

“Well, I’ve been brushed off before, but you really hurt me.” He smiled. “I don’t give up that easily. “Lenny, you’ll get over it,” said Dr. Nancy, “you would make things easier for me at your father’s next visit if you remained in the waiting room and not be a distraction for me.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A small tree lined block park from the over grown city and surrounded by tall buildings close by was a meeting ground for ambulant retirees, kids and their nannies. Charlie met his old pal Nathan occasionally, whenever the latter could manage it under his weakened condition. A nurse attended the sickly man in his wheelchair. “Nathan, my good friend, before you tell me how bad you feel,” joked Charlie “let me ask you something. Have you ever seen an angel in a doctors office? . . . I saw one, yesterday, an angel disguised as a doctor.”

Nathan snapped to the little attention he could muster up.

“What are you saying? There’s no such thing as an angel in a doctors office, only heartbreak.” Was his cynical stoic reply in a crackling voice. He then mumbled a few Yiddish words to heighten his meaning.

“If that is your good news, I wouldn’t want to hear the bad,” said Nathan still cynical.

Without arguing, Charlie described his doctor only as a man smitten could speak. Nathan listened but was more concerned with his blood pressure.

“Charlie, your fly has been closed for repairs for a long time, already, so where can this lead too?”

“Don’t remind me Nathan. But angels can perform miracles.”

“Take up chess; now there’s a real challenge.”

“Forget it, I want the game I can win once in a while.”

Two weeks passed and Charles and son found themselves happily on the way to doctor Nancy. Charlie greeted her cautiously and was surprised when she asked Lenny to wait outside. She approached Charlie and kissed him on the cheek. Charlie drew back in surprise.

“I am sorry,” she apologized, “if I was abrupt on your last visit, but you set me thinking. Not many men you age would have the spirit or energy to speak openly the way you did. My looks are a blessing but not always in the workplace. Yes, men do give me the eye, but generally not the way you did, gallantly and respectfully. It’s a sad reflection on the lost art of disarming conversation and courting. I would like you to be comfortable in speaking to me, as I would be with you. My strict work schedule doesn’t leave room for much free time. My former husband travelled a lot and was tragically killed in an auto accident about a year ago. I wouldn’t confide in you like this if I didn’t feel you were trust worthy and had something to offer this doctor in the way of life’s experience.”

Charlie couldn’t speak at first, “Strange,” he said finally. “It seems our roles are being reversed; the patient counseling his doctor. Your feeling that I can be of help to you comes as a pleasant surprise; and fills me with pride. Much as I am flattered an obvious thought occurs to me. You are an attractive woman. If I were you, I would seek the company of younger men and spend my time learning by your own life experience. You have a lifetime ahead of you. You should seek out people with young sprouting ideas, not an old timer who has been through the mill, even though he is overwhelmed by your sincere flattery. Believe me, it isn’t easy for me to talk to you like this, but I like you enough to speak honestly.”

His soft honest comforting words only drew her closer. “Charlie, I hear everything you say. I have no close family and as much as they are a distant comfort to me, I have always made my own decisions, in spite of their concerns. Tell me Charlie, do I shock or offend you with my talk?”

“Nancy, you are a surprise definitely, but a miraculous one. I am positively enthralled. You only know me a very short time. I would like nothing more than to spend as much time as possible with you; how can we arrange that, Nancy?”

“I don’t really know. I only know that being with you will be revitalization to me. I do worry about Lenny‘s reaction toward all of this. I would never want to be the reason for friction or break up between you two. If it is alright with you, why don’t we spend some time together, go out together? I would certainly respect the memory of your wife at all times. And I would never want you to think I was trying to erase that memory. Think about it Charlie.”

“I don’t have to think about it, Nancy. I didn’t have the nerve to propose what you just did. I think you have a wonderful idea.”

Nancy made no mention of her boyfriend or her meeting with his son Lenny. It was better left unsaid considering the constant unsettled state of affairs in these matters. She decided silence was best.

In the weeks ahead the little block park was their meeting ground once or twice a week while Lenny was working. The time spent together was fulfilling for both with a sense of close common interests; family backgrounds and the importance of happy relationships with all people. They warmed each others hearts as well as their hands.

Charlie had once spent time in the curator department of the NY Metropolitan Museum of Art which opened a great field of interest to Nancy, who was a devotee of the art world following her interest in medicine.

On certain occasions while Lenny was away on a short business trip, Nancy visited Charlie at his home. She slept in Lenny’s room sometimes overnight. One night, after both had gone to bed in their separate rooms, Charlie was awakened by a hand on his shoulder. Was he dreaming of past romance from his departed Clara of bygone blissful times? He reached behind him and found the warm supple body of life itself. Beautiful Nancy, cuddling close. In the moonlight that streamed from the window he could see the desire in her eyes.

“I haven’t been with a woman for two years,” he whispered. “Do you know how long I dared hope for this moment, Nancy? I’m still afraid . . . of being the aggressor and making a fool of myself with a poor performance.”

“I’m here to help you Charlie, if you need any help.” She soon found he didn’t require any, and they passed the night in ecstatic harmony.

“I can’t believe this is all happening to me, Nancy, Honey. You don’t realize what you’ve done for me.”

“It’s been a joyful experience for me too, Charlie. Believe me, you were wonderful.”

Lenny was beginning to guess what was going on at home when he returned. His bedroom, especially the bed didn’t appear exactly in the sloppy unmade condition in which he always left it. The scent of jasmine was faintly discernable. He said nothing to his father, but in the back of his mind he was preparing to lay the trap. He rightly assumed that Nancy had used his bedroom while he was away. ‘What else happened?’ He rightly guessed, after noticing an unusual air of contentment and the spring in his father’s step.

Lenny was consumed with anger, not because of his father, but because of Nancy. The idea of her bedding down with him rather than his son was revolting. Revenge smoldered within him. During the next visit with Dr. Nancy while they sat waiting for her entry into the examination room, Lenny found Nancy’s cell phone on her desk, rummaged through private papers, scribbling several numbers, one of which he hoped might be her lovers number.

In his work office, the next day under the pretence as an official of the American Medical Association searching for a character reference lucky Lenny hit the right one on the third try. The first two calls were her patients and had nothing negative to say.

“Is this George?” “Yes” was the response. “I hope you can help me. I am Doctor Jay Frisbee, of the AMA, a Dr. Nancy Carter is requesting membership in the AMA and your number was given together with others on her application. She needs proper character reference before she can be accepted. Are you a close friend? Do you know her well enough to vouch for her good character?”

George believed every word and was eager to help. “I am very close to her and know her quite well.” He avoided the intimate details.

Lenny knew he had the right party. He dropped his disguise. “Please forgive me, for reasons of privacy I was not who I said I was. George, I’ve been looking for you on a very sensitive matter. Please bear with me. I am not seeking anything from you. My father is her patient. I cannot explain how, but I know all the details of your relationship with Dr. Nancy Carter and other details of which I am sure you are not aware. I have my personal reasons for needing your help. In plain English, she has been cheating on you.”

“Who are you?” demanded George, properly outraged. “A good friend, I hope.” said Lenny, avoiding the question. George was hardly interested, but arranged a meeting in an out of the way hotel lobby in the city. A prearranged recognition was made.

Lenny arrived first. George later turned out to be a fellow about Lenny’s age who would not stand out in any crowd, which led him to wonder about Nancy’s good taste in men.

They sat at the bar acting like sparring partners rather than buddies. Lenny explained the entire scenario between Nancy and his father and their attachment.

He hoped to catch Nancy and his father in the act, with George as a witness. The plan was dramatically childish. George: “You go to hell! I don’t want any part of it,” and slammed the receiver down. Lenny resigned himself to flying the mission solo, but was still determined to go through with it.

The opportunity did not take much time in presenting itself. A business call from his boss told Lenny to prepare fro a trip to the Midwest. Lenny packed his bag the next day and gave his father a false date of return. He called George again hoping to change his mind.

“I think you’re nuts, but maybe I’ll meet you,” said George. “I’m curious damn it.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charlie and Nancy looked forward to good times together and a lengthy love tryst. The lovebirds spend most of their day time between theatre, concerts, and museums, and of course, in each other’s arms at night. Two happier lovers could not be found anywhere.

“I never thought it would ever be anything like this, Charlie,” whispered Nancy dreamily. Charlie nuzzled her closer.

“Do you think Clara, may she rest in piece, would understand my feelings?”

Nancy thought for a moment. “As a woman I don’t think I can answer that question. As a man, you should look within yourself for the answer.”

The day of reckoning was fast approaching. Lenny planned to be home three days before the expected time, and to remain clear of the apartment until he was certain of a confrontation. He knew his father would react with anger and humiliation in this insulting breach of privacy. Lenny was regretful, but couldn’t restrain himself. The second evening Lenny braced himself as he approached the closed bedroom door and kicked it open violently, giving them no time to cover themselves. Nancy let out a scream. In fear she yanked the bed sheet over her head.

Charlie, discovering the intruder, jumped out of bed naked shouting, “Have you no shame, Lenny, to embarrass us like this? His humiliation was painful.

From under the bed sheet she screamed. “Get out of here!” and would have chased him, had she had any clothes on.

“You disgust me. I am not ashamed of what I did. I hope you’re satisfied with your infantile tricks. Get out of here so we can dress. Wait outside. I’ll have a few choice words for you.” Tears came with her anger. Charlie hugged her in sympathy. He felt this invasion of privacy as much as she did, but kept his temper under control, fearing a break up with his son.

The full tragedy of his deed was having its full effect on Lenny when he heard the doorbell ring. Standing in the lighted hallway was the silhouetted form of George. He announced himself with a friendly shove, knocking Lenny off his balance. “You bastard, I’ve got to see how this turns out. Am I too late?” Lenny, ignoring the shove, was glad he came and ushered him into the dining room.

“What are you doing here George?” shouted Nancy at his unexpected appearance. “Lenny invited me to share this episode, but I had to come and find out what the hell is really going on. After all, what I know only came from him. Nancy was shocked.

“George, do you mean to tell me you knew all about this and never told me? You are a fucking disgrace. Now I really know you.”

George was now sorry he came. His feelings were badly hurt, regretted his complicity and the embarrassment he caused. To Nancy: “I thought we had a solid thing between us. I’m sorry, but we are through. I don’t think there is much point in my staying here any longer.”

Lenny recalled his father’s advice about showing proper respect and understanding for women.

“Before you two go, George,” said Nancy, “Please hear me out. I may not deserve your attention, but I think you and Lenny should hear this. In spite of your inexcusable, despicable behavior, I do owe you some explanation. You see this brave man, Lenny’s father, angry and deflated? Yes, I said brave. He has shunted aside his age as an impediment to savoring the happiness God has implanted in our make up and that we enjoy life to the fullest, to the very end. I love that man in a way I could never love either of you. Your youth has no advantage and could never compete with the likes of him. Let me tell you of the deepest affection he has bestowed on me; the kind that depends on his mates mature belief in the sincere goodness of her man; and for his deepest faith in and respect for his loved one. It is a kind of love that is given with sensitivity and one that resists criticism. You two may not believe me, but Lenny, please be happy for your father. He hasn’t asked me but if he ever does I would be honored to be his wife. Beyond that let us be the happy family I know your father would love.” Turning to George, “Please, forgive me. I will remember you as one of life’s experiences. You have a good side, and much to offer to a loved one.”

George and Lenny listened to every word and profusely apologized for this evenings embarrassing incident. Nancy believed that a lasting benefit would result for both from this experience and personally felt it was a fine thing she had done.

“I think the best man won.” She boasted proudly, poking Charlie gently in the ribs.

“I won’t argue on that point. The best man definitely won. Call me if you ever need me,” said Lenny. He turned to George as they prepared to leave. My father now has a loving caretaker, one far better than I could ever have been.”

“I think that as far as women are concerned, we think alike.”

“Would you have a room in your pad for repentant, rent paying pal, George?”

“No problem, I think we sing in the same key. Let bygones be bygones.”
“Lenny, said George, “This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. Let’s go have a beer on it.”




© Copyright 2014 Milton Pashcow (miltonp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2013605-Rx-FOR-THE-DOCTOR