*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2016314-The-Beginning-of-the-End
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Drama · #2016314
Lydia gives no description.
So this is it. Six months, seven, does it really make an immense difference? No, of course it doesn't. It's a death sentence, you know, cancer. God, I hate the word, "cancer." You say it and it brings down the room. People bow their heads in pity, for they have not met the disease closely but have heard from others how horrific it really is. I'm not saying I wasn't upset or terrified, I absolutely was until it hit me. What's so scary about it? Imminent death hasn't stopped me from living before has it? Nope, all day everyday we all face death. Anything could happen at any moment taking our lives. If I hadn't been diagnosed last month, February 10th, anything could've happened I could've fell to my death off the water falls I went to in the morning. Anything could end my life. Yes, I have cancer but cancer doesn't have me. Okay? Now that I've gotten that cliché point out of the way let's get down to business. I need you and you need me. I don't know you and you certainly haven't a clue as to my true identity so let's make an agreement. We're on the same team fighting the same beast. The living dead.

You see this all went down just after my diagnosis. The dead would die and wake up again with no purpose other than to eat and walk. They resist eating each other for some odd reason.Regardless, you appear to have no group and its just myself and that little sandy haired boy next to me and we could really use you. We can help you too. Strength in numbers right? Good, now that we're in agreement we need a game plan. A herd is approaching, I'll take the middle? Good. We have weapons can I offer you a machete? Oh you have a pistol, suit yourself. If I were you I'd do one shot to the chest, I know a headshot would kill to but it's harder you know less surface area. Okay let's charge! We meet back by the creek, just shy of the rope swing. Catch you on the flip side and grab Charlie for me if he gets himself in a tough spot, thank you.
© Copyright 2014 Lydia Karter (lydia.karter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2016314-The-Beginning-of-the-End