*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2016957-Short-Story-of-Image
by kshen
Rated: E · Short Story · Relationship · #2016957
A short story of an image
         
Shen          4

Regret

by Kevin Shen


"Can't repeat the past?" he cried incredulously. "Why of course you can!" (Fitzgerald 110)


Our busy and sophisticated lives can be brimming with failure and blunder. There are always those horrendous instances in which one may display anguish at what they have done. Its just a matter of time that we consider to ourselves if time can be repeated and everything can be fixed. In my life, sometimes I would take a test and do horribly on it regretting what I did, wondering how to overhaul it. I usually beat myself up for not knowing a question, spending a lot of time on one and not finishing on time, and changing my answer when it was correct the first time. Other unforgettable moments of my life include the time I tried out for Junior Varsity basketball my sophomore year and also my freshman basketball season. I did horrific in these two periods of time by making atrocious decisions and I regret every turnover I had caused by the actions I can control. I have many of these occurrences that make me feel agitated and miffed; wanting to change the past. F. Scott Fitzgerald once wrote in Jay Gatsby's perspective, of course we can repeat the past. Lebron James, an established basketball player, had once regretted his actions of "The Decision" that correlated to his narcissistic leave to Miami away from his hometown Cleveland. Everyone makes mistakes and these actions may affect someone's life substantially and be a juncture in one's life. Sometimes actions can never be forgiven and never fixed. Is Jay Gatsby's statement correct? If one was to repeat the past, then one may be very successful and live a happier life.
         A starry night turned out to be a gloomy one before a meeting was set between the two best friends, Nicole and Angela, something went down unexpectedly. It was a disapproving altercation between the two close friends while none had ever happened before in their robust relationship. Holding hands starting at Kindergarten to clinging to each other after graduating college ended with the glaring at each with disgust. The door had been smashed open as bombastic voices were blasting at one another. Angela's face filled with a tomato red hue as she stood for her ground. Nicole stared at Angela with a hint of anxiousness and fright. Their friendship crumbled down to ashes resembling every single shriek and roar as a bomb being thrown at the bond that had held them together all these years. The last words of Angela that were spoken to Nicole were that she did not want to see her again. These detrimental words shook Nicole's world and happiness had been vanquished.
         It was the night, when they were suppose to meet at a cafe. Nicole had been depressed about the quarrel for a while and regretted her actions. Angela has been her best friend ever since the beginning and they supported each other since the beginning. She walked down the street with shades of darkness, hoping that Angela would come and go as planned. The stars twinkled and shined as they stood out of the dark cloudless sky. Drips of rain kissed her skin, the wind roared and made her hair flutter. Restaurants, Diners, and Cafes were adjacent to one another as the appetizing aroma of their different cuisines filled the air. Many couples held hands and glanced at each other with delight and passed her spontaneously. She opened the door as many customers filled the tables crowded the small-scaled cafe. It was rowdy as families and couples sat together, laughing and shouting with contentment. A woman that worked at the front desk took the lead and led her to her seat. She sat at her reserved table alone with one seat in her view that was left for Angela. The waiters hurried over with plates, forks, spoons, and cups as they clicked together making a reticent sound. They handed her a menu and asked her if she would like to drink anything and she said a tea would be fine. The tea was served and left on the table. The heat rose to her keeping her face warm and the strong, elegant aroma rose to her nose. She held the cup and pressed her palms to the glass of the cup as heat rushed to her arms and looked at the transparent liquid with a reflection that had been clearly displayed. She regretted her unnecessary selfishness, thinking of what she should have done that may have prevented this situation. The many different methods in keeping their friendship going was interminable. She wondered how Nicole was feeling and how she may be feeling at the same moment. It had been two hours and many customers filed away, leaving her the only table. The cafe began to grow silent with only the sound of the repeatedly ticking of a clock. Darkness devoured the room and she glimpsed in the darkness, wondering if there was a scrap of hope left. Darkness surrounds her and is about to close on her. She constantly stares at her tea cup looking at her reflection on last time, as it soon began to fade. The darkness finally filled the room and all of hope had been overtaken. What only stood in the room with her was a bowl of fruit displaying bright colors, but the rest of the room had dark dull hues. She is lonely in the darkness where her desperate pleas for forgiveness were never considered or answered. Her heart was smashed into pieces with a hammer. She pulled her light brown hat down to hide her image that she could not stand anymore. Tears fell ruining her makeup and into her tea as she stared at her tea with no more reflection and image of herself.



© Copyright 2014 kshen (kshen3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2016957-Short-Story-of-Image