*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2017752-Daily-Routines
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by FauxNe
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Drama · #2017752
Another piece of a Mosaic

FauxNe



Daily Routines

         Tossing the charts onto the circular desk a few feet ahead of her. Heather grabs the chair and slouches into it while looking over at Rachel.

         “The Mexican lady and her daughter are here again.” She said with an irritated tone.

         Rachel peered up from her paperwork with a confused look on her face.

         “Yes. They get here around 10 in the morning. I don’t think the girl is in school yet.” She gazed back at her charts only to quickly look up again as if she wanted to say something. Before she could Heather spoke while filling out her paperwork.

         “I don’t see why they have to be here every day, he doesn’t even have a room so they just stand there.”

She kept her head down towards her charts while saying this. Having already suspected this is what Heather meant with her previous statement, Rachel looked directly at her.

She is praying quietly so she doesn’t disturb anyone and that sweet little girl doesn’t make a sound the entire time.” Rachel paused for a second until Heather eventually looked up at her, only then did she continue.

Why are you upset about it? She is permitted to be here during these hours, he was moved out of ICU since the swelling stopped and he stabilized.” Rachel’s tone had become short.

I don’t understand why you’re defensive. I just don’t see why she has to be here every day for hours mumbling to herself.” Heather snapped back attempting to sound deft.

Rachel looked at her in amazement, all of the signs that she had tried to ignore for weeks had come to this. In her frustration she decided to tell Heather exactly what she thought.

Like I just said, she is praying. Not only that, she is praying the Rosary; which is traditional and takes a long time to complete. You’re such a racist that you can’t even see that she is religious. Oh, and by the way they are here because he saved the girls life. You would know that if you actually read the charts completely, but you’re too lazy for that.” Rachel’s face had become flushed as she said this.

Don’t call me racist. Why are you so pissed off?” Heather retorted with a defensive tone while trying to sound confused.

I can’t believe you’re going to get irritated that this lady comes in with her daughter every day to pray for the man that saved her child. You’re disgusting.” Rachel calmly said as she acted like she was working on her charts.

I didn’t know she was doing that so calm down, I’m sorry. I guess it looked weird because they just stand there.” Heather said trying to diffuse the situation.

You know what I find interesting?” Rachel asked.

What?” Heather responded expecting some sarcastic remark.

First of all, there are no chairs in this ward and we can’t bring any in because they might block the gurneys, you know this. So that’s why they stand there, not because they’re weird. Second, I remember when that old man’s family came in. That nice upper class family comes in and trashes this entire place while you stood and chatted with them and falling hours behind on your rounds. Your patients even fell behind on their medication. You had no problem with the fact that the kids were bothering the other patients and the adults were treating this place like their house. But these two come in and do not bother anyone and you have a problem with it. There have been other times as well when I notice you treating people and patients poorly.” Rachel stopped speaking abruptly as if she wanted to say more but chose to pause.

Heather stammered while trying to figure out something to say. Before she could figure out a response Rachel continued.

Honestly, I don’t think you even realize what you do. I think that in your mind you don’t see that you act this way. But this isn’t the only time I’ve noticed. You are allowed to have your own thoughts and views but we are supposed to care for everyone. After you came over here being upset at them I just couldn’t hold back any longer.” She let out a sigh as she waited for Heather to respond.

Well this came out of nowhere.” Heather said looking straight at Rachel, she continued.

Look, I didn’t grow up religious at all so I didn’t see it that way and it honestly looked out of place to me. I can’t believe you would think that. I don’t think I treat patients any different and as far as that family goes; they were very nice and kept asking me questions. You’re right that I fell behind but that doesn’t mean I’m a racist.”

Yeah? Well at this point I don’t believe you. So if what you say is true then from now on I’m going to say something when I feel you are acting a certain way, and we can go from there. And unless the visitors are doing something wrong, maybe you should keep your mouth shut.” Rachel’s voice trembled as she spoke.

Calm down. Just stop. I said I was sorry. I have never seen anyone stand in place and pray for hours okay? I didn’t know what she was doing and you’re right I shouldn’t have said anything.” Heather had was beginning to become angry.

Both of them remained in awkward silence for the next hour before each one had to begin their rounds again. After turning the corner Rachel saw the lady standing in the aisle path with a Rosary in her hand, rolling a bead from it in between her thumb and forefinger. The girl was sitting on the floor at her mother’s feet holding a stuffed animal. After checking a few other patients she came up to the woman and walked past her while smiling at the girl looking up at her. Quietly grabbing his chart and documenting current vital signs she begins looking over the man as the woman finished praying. Rachel noticed the quiet and looked up as the woman stepped closer to her.

How is he?” She is asked in a hushed tone.

No progress, but he is stable.” Rachel responded.

The woman smiled at her with tears beginning to well up her eyes.

Bless you. Thank you for taking care of him.” Her voice remained barely audible as she said this.

You’re welcome.” Alice said. “Would you two like some water?”

No, thank you. We have to go for today.” The woman said as she picked up her bag which doubled as a gigantic purse. She looked over at her daughter and nodded at her.

Say goodbye mija, we’re leaving.”

The girl only smiled at Rachel as she clutched her stuffed animal close to her chest while she walked down the hall with her mother. As Rachel began to check the monitoring equipment the girl came running back. Looking directly up at Rachel as she stepped closer to the bed, and without breaking eye contact she placed the stuffed animal up onto the bed next to the man’s forearm. Flashing another smile the girl turned and ran back out towards her mother. Rachel picked up the toy, a deep blue bear that seemed to change hues in the light. As she held it she felt a warmth coming from the bear, she grinned as couldn’t help notice this peculiar feeling. After a moment she pulled over a food table next to bed, placing the bear on the end overlooking the man before moving on with her rounds.

© Copyright 2014 FauxNe (fauxne at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2017752-Daily-Routines