*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2017969-Tiny-Dancer
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #2017969
A bit of a twist
Tiny Dancer





She was no bigger than a pea, when the seed was planted within her heart to become the most elegant and astounding ice skater ever to be born. She had believed without a doubt, that someday, she would be seen by thousands of people, young and old, all around the world. It would take tedious hours of practice to perfect her flawless routine. She would be sculpted and coached by only the very best. Never giving up or giving in to the exhausting hours of disciplined exercises and unending instructions. Bending to nothing, she was determined to become the very best there ever was or ever would be.



From the time of her existence, she dreamed of the moment that all eyes would gaze upon her. She knew just how to take her audience to a place that only she knew where to lead. Escorted by a symphony, she would move with graceful strides and airborne twists to her favorite timely melody. Like a deer, she would leap and bound, until she had pleased all who had come to watch her perform. Longing to fill the air with specks of icy frost, she would skate her way through the mist with ease and tranquility. Knowing her blades acted as carving knives, she used them skillfully to slice out every obstacle that cruelly attempted to keep her from achieving her dream.



She was full grown now and had blossomed into a beautiful young woman with an hour glass shape. Her eyes were aquamarine and her skin was completely unblemished, resembling a porcelain doll. Her hair like corn silk was tightly woven into braids and fastened together with a dainty diamond clip. Sprigs of baby’s breath sprouted spaciously throughout, added a delicate touch of innocence. She was graciously posed, with ankles crossed and her arms high above her reaching towards the heavens. Her finger nails were perfectly polished, and they craved to catch the twinkling stars that teasingly played hide and seek beneath the moonlight. Her tip toes anchored all of her beauty, while the grates of her skates were firmly etched deep within the slab of thick chilly ice.



She was dressed in pale lavender, trimmed with frills and lace, while sequins paused with anticipation for the spotlight to shine. Their glitter would soon flit in rhythm to and fro from one ruffle of her skirt to the other. Around her fore head, mixed flowers of lilacs and pale yellow roses formed a halo resembling the trimmings of a newly frosted wedding cake. Her countenance glowed with confidence knowing she was, finally, fully prepared for her grand introduction.



Darkness was cloaked around her while she waited intently for her queue. Not moving a muscle and suspended in air, she could hear noises beginning to stir around her. Butterflies tickled her within, when suddenly; the “click” of a switch could be heard in her ears. This was her moment, and the spot light was about to shine. Suddenly, pushing away the darkness, the brilliant light was being shyly introduced. She was motionless as she basked in the beauty of her own private sunset. The music began and her stillness was broken. The audience watched without blinking and eye as she imitated a graceful swan in all of its glory. Holding nothing back, she skated back and forth, for her life, across the sheet of glass. She spun like a top and soared in the air, and when she was through, she quieted her blades with sullen ease.



The “whoosh” of her blades had come to a stop, indicating that her story had, finally, been told. She remained on her toes with her head held high, while the crowd gave their applause for her excellent performance. Tears of joy streamed down her cheeks and spilled onto the ice. The music ended, and the spot light slowly faded, allowing the darkness to return to its place. What was once only a dream was now a reality, and there would always be another time and another place for her to please the ones who come to watch her.



**********



Casey, gently, closed the lid, turned the key, and removed it from its lock.

A special gift from her brother, the jewelry box was something she treasured with all of her heart. Inside, instead of the usual ballerina, there was a beautiful ice skater made of porcelain. When the jewelry box was opened, the music would begin, and she would turn on a mirror that imitated an ice rink. The porcelain skater still waits for someone to come and unlock the jewelry box, and she is always in season to give the performance of her lifetime.
© Copyright 2014 Linda56 (lindal5666 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2017969-Tiny-Dancer