*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2018740-Letting-Go
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2018740
Letting go of the one you love the most. Moving on and finding happiness again.
Letting Go

The waves crashed onto the shore, washing away the many footprints left behind. The wind here was always blowing. It was a chilly wind that sends shivers throughout your body. In the distance, a small fishing boat sailed in front of the setting sun. It was calm, peaceful.

  It was just how she remembered it. The beach, this place, the smell, the feel of the wind, she remembered it all. Of course she remembered it. After all, this is where she met him. It had been three years. Three long years, full of tears and sadness. Every day was a struggle for her, knowing that she would never see him again.

  She had met him right on this beach at a spring break party. It was love at first sight. They exchanged numbers that night and didn't stop talking after that. A few weeks later they entered a relationship. They were so in love.  Two years after that, they married on the same beach they first met on. Together they were happy. Their life seemed to be perfect, everything falling into place. And so they decided to have children.

  One night as they drove home from dinner, they were struck by a drunk driver. Both her husband and unborn son were killed in the crash. But she lived, narrowly escaping with her life. She was devastated at the death of her family, and fled from her home town as soon as she was able. She had to get away from everything that would remind her of what was once her happy life, so full of joy.
  Three years later, she returns, realizing that she needed to come to terms with her feelings and let them go. She returns to this town that holds so many memories, both good and bad.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


  Her long brown hair cascaded down her back. Her blue eyes peering into the glistening ocean, looking, searching for a trace of her long lost love. So many memories they had shared together. So many times spent on this beach. The sun was almost completely down no, and the tide had risen to meet her feet. She felt tears in her eyes daring to spill over. She lifted a shaky hand and whipped them away from her eyes with a long slender finger.
The wind began blowing harder causing her hair to fly wildly with the wind, and she extended her arms out to her sides. The wind caressed her body as she closed her eyes and took a deep breath in. The smell of salt and sand filled her nostrils, and she let out a long sigh as the wind calmed down. The wind was not cold, but a warm, comforting wind.
A touch was felt on her cheek, like a hand cupping her face. She leaned into the touch, submitting to the feeling. She knew it was him. She knew that he was with her in this moment, comforting her, telling her to let go and move on. And so she did.

  So she walked back up off the beach and onto the sidewalk. Her hair was a wild mess from the wind, but she didn't care. A handsome man greeted her and pulled her into a comforting embrace. He lightly kissed her forehead as he entangled his fingers with hers. His chocolate eyes soft, and a smile played on his lips.

They turned to leave, a new beginning ahead.  As they walked away, she turned to take one last glance at the ocean. She smiled and whispered one last "goodbye."


© Copyright 2014 StarlightMystic (chellieness at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2018740-Letting-Go