*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2019089-Not-yet-finished
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #2019089
Erin steps. Into a forest on a quest. Adventure ensues.
         Erin crashed through the heavy underbrush of the dense forest of Fate. Close behind her was a small yet bright ball of bright red energy. Bursting through the tree line, Erin collapsed into a clearing. A moment later, the whiz zing ball of light came to a stop in front of her face. "Why are you stopping? It's right behind us!" Said the light ball. Now that it had stopped whizzing about, Erin could see that in front of her face was a creature that resembled a tiny lion cub. Albeit a tiny red lion cub with wings... "It's a bit harder to get away from giant monsters when you don't have wings Zing" said Erin
"Oh...right..." Said the lionlike fire sprite.
Erin had just gotten back to her feet when both her and Zing heard a huge crash and an even louder roar. "Whelp. Break's over, back to the running!" Zing said as he whizzed away. "Hey! Wait for me!" Erin called out chasing after him,
         whatever was chasing them was big. And it was getting closer by the minute. Erin glanced behind her, and saw a twenty for tall tree come crashing down as another loud roar burst from whatever beast was behind them. "Erin!" Called Zing from up ahead "over here!" The tiny lion was gesturing to a small crease in a boulder near a cluster of trees. Wring nodded and followed Zing's tiny but bright red form. The crease was not very wide. Luckily neither was Erin. She just barely managed to squeeze through to what appeared to be a long low cave, when the beast chasing them passed in front of the crease in the rock. It was about six feet tall at the shoulder. It looked like a gorilla, except instead of fur, this monstrosity had thick green armorlike scales. It's five dexterous fingers were each tipped a razor sharp claw, and Erin could see fangs poking out of it's scaly lipless mouth. It also had a long tail that ended in a cruel spike. The creature walked past the rock where she was hiding, and stopped. Erin backed away from the crease, a terrified look on her face as tag scaly creature sniffed the air and turned it's striking yellow eyes on her hiding spot. It roared again,showing off it's mouthful of long sharp fangs and began scrabbling at the crease. But its huge rippling muscles barely contained by its scaly green skin were too large and it simply did not fit through to the cave. Zing zipped over to the safe end of the crease and gave the monster a nice long raspberry. Instead of saliva, sparks flew from its mouth. After another few minutes of scrabbling around by the tight entrance to the cave, the beast gave a mournful howl and trudges off into the forest of fate.
         Erin breathed a sigh of relief seeing the back of that creature. She unslung her heavy bag and opened it. Slowly, she raised the thick shelled egg she had stolen from the monster's nest. "I wish I hadn't had to do that..." Erin said sadly "did you hear how sad that godo mother was? I nearly cried.." Zing alighted on her shoulder. Erin felt the warmth from the tiny fire sprite. "I know you didn't" zing said cuddling up to her "it was the only way for us to get into the academy. The oracle said that-"
"I know that Zing, I'm just. Upset we had to hurt something like that to do it. Getting into the academy is something that I dreamed about since you and I were bonded when I was ten." She lowered the egg back into her pack. "All right. Let's head back with our egg." She stood up and dusted herself off and headed towards the door. "When I'm the headmaster of the academy, I will abolish this ridiculousness. A simple interview will suffice."
Before any prospective student could enter the Supreme Academy for Humans and Spirits, they needed to consult the school's head of psychic studies. The school oracle would then give the hopeful student a quest based on their skill level. Then, the student and their bonded spirit would either complete the task and be allowed into the Supreme Academy, or not complete it and be refused entry. The school said that the quest was to ensure the every student was willing to put in work at their classes, but Erin knew the truth. The whole system was rigged as the richer or more socially qualified students got simple tasks like planting a flag somewhere or picking a flower from some remote meadow. And what quest did she get? What quest did poor lower class Erin get? Retrieve a Godo egg during mating season when they are at their most dangerous. also you're edit retrieve I from a godo within the forest of fate which is an enchanted forest and you could count on one hand how many people ever returned from it. Just. Perfect.
© Copyright 2014 ben beads (superbeads at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2019089-Not-yet-finished