*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2020031-Which-Mothers-Day
Rated: E · Other · Parenting · #2020031
What Mother's Day means to a mom.
I don’t actually know when Mother’s Day is really celebrated, what the history is behind it, or whether it should be celebrated at all. I am from the East, and I believe Mother’s Day celebration originated from the West; like Valentine’s Day or the Halloween.

All I can say is, Mother’s Day began for me when the nurse placed that little bundle of joy I delivered years ago into my arms and I fell totally, hopelessly in love with him. And his total dependency on me for his comfort, his sustenance and his safety made each day of looking after him a Mother’s Day to me. When he finally uttered the word “Mama” (and later with training, it changed to Ummi), I knew every day henceforth would be a Mother’s Day for me.

To me, each and every day becomes special, when I, the mother, the Ummi gets to kiss my son on the cheeks as I wish him goodnight, and every morning when he wakes up, it is I he seeks out first, just for a good morning hug. That is Mother’s Day to me.

It is Mother’s Day to me each time when my two sons seek my help, my comfort and my advices.
“Please pray for me, Ummi.”
“What should I do, Ummi?”
“Can you help me out with this, Ummi?”
And just to hear or read, “Love you Ummi” either verbally or through the sms texting is surely a most blessed Happy Mother’s Day to me.

Growing up with them has introduced me to their favourite cartoon programme, the Pokemon series. And as they grow up and mature, they consistently tease me during my “Psyduck” moments, just to relieve me of my stress and cheer me up. All these make me realize that only they know what their Ummi is really like; that with all my flaws and shortcomings, I am the only mother they have and their love for me is unconditional too. That, most humbly said, is really one heck of the happiest Mother’s Day moment for me.

So, it does not concern me much when and if Mother’s Day should be celebrated. I am sure I share this sentiment with so many other mothers in this world. It suffices us to know that we had brought these tiny helpless infants into this world, so trusting upon us, and to watch them grow up healthy and strong. It is a delight to see that in so many little ways they resemble us, yet in so many others, so different; that they are individuals in their own right. It is an amazement that we flow in their blood; and even more awesome to realize that they will continue our legacy.

That is Mother’s Day to me which I will celebrate every day until I am finally laid to rest. All praise be to God for these blessings.

Still, if on one particular day, when the world announces that it is Mother’s Day, and my two boys wish to treat me to a grand salmon steak (my favourite) to show their appreciation for me – what? Should I say no? Don’t be crazy … I wouldn’t miss out on a good free meal.

Thank you to all the children who have made mothers out of us.
© Copyright 2014 Norhafizah Manaf (norhafizah at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2020031-Which-Mothers-Day