*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023517-Oops
Rated: E · Other · Adult · #2023517
awards, pregnancy,a table to close with people
         In August of 1970, Jean and David were invited by Daryl and Dawn to the Prestigious Architectural Rewards given in Las Vegas, Nevada. Their friend Daryl, was an architect. He had designed beautiful homes which been built and sold. They were going with two other couples, Mary and Frank and Shelia and Marty, who were ther principles in a homebuilding company. All of them were going to stay at the Las Vegas, MGM Grand.

         It was lunch time when they arrived. "Jean," Dawn said.The other ladies are going to the SPA for a hydro-therapy treatment. Do you want to join them?"

"What is that?" Jean asked.

" It's like a tub unit with lots of steam. Your whole body is in except for your head," Dawn said

."Mmm, it sounds interesting, I guess I'll try it." Jean said.

"It's suppose to take weight off of you," Dawn said.

"Oh, then I really want to go," Jean said as she laughed.

"This is a lovely SPA," Jean said.

"Excuse me Ms., you need to undress and wrap this towel around you. The dressing rooms are over there," the attendant said as she pointed to them. "You can put your belongings in one of the lockers we have there. Lock it and put the key on your wrist for safe keeping."

"Okay." Jean undressed and wrapped herself in the large soft white towel. Sheed lock her things up and went back to where the attendant was waiting.

"Hi Mary, how are you?" Dawn asked.

"Great! Jean, we are so glad you and David came. This will be fun," Mary said.

"Mam, please come with me," another attendant said to Jean.

"Sure," she replied.

The machine Jean was about to get into looked like something from outer space. The attendant opened a door on the side of it and told Jean to get in and sit down on the small wooden seat. She shut the door and turned on the heat. It wasn't long before Jean became uncomfortable.

"Excuse me, please get me out of this. I don't like the way it's making me feel." Jean said.

The attendant turned the heat off and Jean got out.

After dressing, Jean told Dawn she would see her in the casino.

Dawn caught up with her and they played twenty-one for awhile.

"I think we need to go and start getting ready for tonight's event," Jean said.

"You're right. Oh, loook, there's Mary and Shelia." Dawn said.

"Mary, Shelia, we're over here." Dawn shouted.

"Hey, Jean you left early," Mary said.

"Yeah, I din't like the way it was making me feel," Jean replied.

"Shelia, how are you feeling?" Jean asked. "You didn't go in one of those horrible machines did you? What with being pregnant and all?"

"Oh no, I got a massage instead and it was wonderful."

"Well, I guess we need to go up and get ready, the guys are probably already there," Dawn said.

"See y'all later," Mary replied. "We are sharing a Limo to the Awards."

Jean got to their room and found her husband taking a short nap.

"Hey, how was the SPA?" he asked.

"Oh, it was okay David, but I could live without it. Mary said we are all sharing a Limo to the Awards."

"Yep, we're to meet in the front of the lobby," David said.

"Okay, I'm getting my bath and then dressing," Jean said.

Later, everyone met outside.

"Wow Dawn, you look great!" Daryl said. "You too Shelia and Mary."

"I don't know how good a pregnant woman looks when she tries to dress up like she isn't," Shelia said as she laughed.

"Okay, leave the ladies alone Daryl," David said.

"Here's our car," Jean said.

Everyone piled in and off they went to the Awards.

"Daryl are you nervous about tonight?" Marty asked.

"Not really, I either do or don't, it's as simple as that."

Frank couldn't help himself but laugh at all of them.

They arrived at the center and walked into the building and up the escalator where they were directed to the correct room and table.

"Man, this table doesn't hold us, much less the other couple those seats belong to." Dawn said.

"Yeah, we will be eating out of each others plates,"replied Jean.

After some small talk and a cocktail or two, everyone looked up to see a nice looking couple coming towards the table. He was slender in build and dressed in a very nice dark silk suit. She was taller than him and dressed in a beautiful sequin black gown that fell from her breast, draping down her body. It seemed she was hiding a rather large stomach. As they sat down, everyone introduced themselves.

Jean looked directly at the lady and asked "When is your baby due?"

AFter a long pause her husband replied,

"My wife is not pregnant."

Shelia immediately jumped in and said, "She does that to everyone now that I'm pregnant."

Not another word was said throughout the entire program. Awkward, yes. Felt horrible and embarrassed, absolutely.

The moral to this little story is "Keep your mouth shut." Whether the lady looks pregnant or not, if she is, she will let you know. Don't go sticking your foot in your mouth.

822 words



© Copyright 2014 Lynda Miller (lmiller7569 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2023517-Oops