*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024156-The-Camel-King
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #2024156
Aboard the English ship the Castle One, Peter and Sarah embark in a serendipitous trip to
Chapter One

- A Letter from Father –






Peter and Sarah jumped out from the horse carriage. London's sky seemed bluer than ever for Spring had returned to England again. Flowers were blooming everywhere while most of trees seemed waking up from the sleeping months of a cold Winter. The day felt warm with sun rays falling with softly heat over the city. Everything around London was bright and lively. Many people crossed the streets quickly, others stayed on the sidewalks. Horse carriages trotted rapidly; their hooves noisily clapping on London’s stone paved streets.

Peter and Sarah walked with their mother to the Post Office to pick their father’s letter. The three went from the sidewalk up to the postal service door. Peter walked excited in front of his mother. Taller than his sister and slim, he looked skinny while Sarah seemed a bit plum; her reddish hair just likes her mom. Peter with seven years attended second grade. Sarah on the other hand, only attended first grade for sounds and letters for six year olds.

Peter wore his favorite beige shorts, his blue wool sweater and his dark shoes. His straight hair felt to the sides of his head and forehead like a golden cascade. He looked taller than any seven years old. He looked like his father he would say proudly if he was asked. Sarah in her white flowered dress and pink shoes chose her mother’s left hand. Her round face and grayish eyes came from her mother’s side too, along with a pony’s tail she had made for her today.

Peter got to the door before his mother and sister. He pulled the door open.

The two Carnerhill children and their mother entered the old, postal building to pick up their father’s letter. The building’s door made of dark oak faced the busiest London’s street and it was protected by round and tall columns of Roman and Greek forms.

Inside the postal services office, the old mail clerk, Mr. Berneke, sat on his desk amongst other clerks like himself. A large chandelier hanging from the ceiling shed its yellowish light over the large room along with many lamps on the walls around. The mail clerks looked busy when the family walked in; they were sending and handing letters to people like them, Peter thought glancing at them. Of thin white hair, Mr. Berneke  looked a bit bold and reddened like Santa, the children told each other and giggled. Mr. Berneke lifted his eyes towards the door and cheerfully greeted the family entering. He was glad to see Mrs. Carnerhill and her children again.

"Good morning Mrs. Carnerhill. He said for he knew the family well. Then he lowered his blue, old sleepy eyes. He pushed up the thick glasses perched on his nose and said. Good morning Peter and Sarah. He greeted them also.

"Good morning Mr. Berneke, "Mrs. Carnerhill replied politely. She asked her children to greet Mr. Berneke too.

Both Peter and Sarah cheerfully said. Good morning to you Mr. Berneke.

"Oh, please call me Ber. I never like this old and silly last name. He said. Then, he winked an eye and wiggled his nose to the children.

He can flare his nostrils like a dragon! Peter whispered softly to Sarah and they giggled together. Peter remained perfectly straight; his slim frame like in military attention standing still. His hair perfectly cut and combed to one side.

"Can you do this? Mr. Berneke asked Peter, then to Sarah moving his nostrils.

He smiled and fixed his sky-blue eyes on Peter then on Sarah. Sarah hid behind her mother's skirt a bit shy. She then pushed her head sideways to see the old Mr. Berneke. He then flared his nostrils again gazing and wiggling at her.

"How about you Peter? Can you flare your nostrils like this? Pretend to be a friendly dragon like old me. One who puffs balls of fire and sends scared ones to hide around a tree. Just pretend to be a flying dragon like me flaring your nose. Just twitch it like this. Mr. Berneke said with a grin on his face.

Peter tried hard. His nostrils never moved a twitch. He even pulled an earlobe to help himself a bit like the clerk said. His nostril never moved like Mr. Berneke's nostrils. He could wiggle it. He could twitch it like a smelling bear seeking honey.

"You have to practice a lot more. Old Mr. Berneke said, his eyes under his bushy, grayish eyebrows growing over his glasses. Oh, I've practice for sixty five years long. It is only now I can twitch my nose like this and flare my nostrils like that.

Practice, practice makes the master, my dear. He said grinning and showing his teeth.

A canopy of white hair over his lips gave him the looks of Santa Clause’s face with a trimmed mustache and puffy red cheeks. His nose trick delighted the children. They laughed and giggled. He wiggled it once more for them. He saw them smile again. Then, he stopped his nose tricks and stood up.

He walked a few feet behind his desk. He looked up and pulled a letter from the wall. A wall looking like an over built beehive poked with many holes. It had holes that could fit squirrels in them. Peter thought. But letters filled the squares on the wall. Mr. Berneke found a yellow, Manila paper envelope.

He read its name on it and handed the letter to Mrs. Carnerhill. It was for her.

It came from her husband, the ambassador in Egypt. The stamp on its flap was pencil marked Cairo, Egypt 1894.  Sender Maxwell Carnerhill.

“My mom is going to take us all to Egypt, ”Peter said with a glow in his eyes growing. His voice was lively. He sounded happy as never before, Mr. Berneke thought.

“That's a long, long way from England, “Mr. Berneke said.

"I'm going with my mom also” Sarah's voice sounded excited saying that. Her grayish happy eyes locked on his.

“We're going to visit our father in Egypt. We’re going to travel on camels too, “Peter added.

“How wonderful for you two children, “Mr. Berneke said. The old man’s eyes looking at them. He smiled and said. “Uhmm, I would give a million pounds to travel if I were a rich man to see Egypt with you. See the pyramids! Ride on a camel's hump like a king! The old man said. 

Mr. Berneke’s eyes wandered into space. For a second perhaps imagined himself traveling with the children.

"Children we must go now, "Mrs. Carnerhill said. She thanked the postal clerk. Then, she turned around on her heels. Quickly for the door they went, but then Mr. Berneke called out the children’s names.

“Ahh, Peter and Sarah,” they heard him asking in a deep voice. "Do you know Egypt is far from England? Hundreds of miles you’re going to travel. Do you know that?  And do you know Egypt had many Pharaohs for kings?

Do you know one was only a child? And of course, he added, Egypt is the land of old pyramids too!  And one cannot forget the river Nile. It’s the longest of all rivers in the world!

“It’s there in Egypt for you to see! And, he went on. "Do you know there is Oasis of fresh water at the middle of nowhere? Palm trees grow around Oasis do you know that? People and camels go there and rest. Oh, children! Children!  How wonderful for you to go!

“We're going to travel on the Castle One! Peter said with more excitement.

"Many days you’re going to travel for sure, "the old clerk replied.

“It’s the fastest ship. It’s going to take us almost month to Egypt. That's what father says, “Peter quickly replied. He stood taller than most seven years olds.  His long legs seemed growing faster than most kids his age.

"Ahh....Peter, your father has informed you well. Now pay attention. Many camels you’re going to see in Egypt.  But be aware for there is one that is very special! Yes sir. One that wanders everywhere! He might be very close to you at any time. Ah, but you won't even see it, "Mr. Berneke said looking from Sarah to Peter.

"I would like to see that camel too! And ride on its back, “Peter said.

"Me too, "Sarah dared to say in her tiny voice. Her hazel eyes sparkled on her face with tiny freckles like stars on her rosy cheeks.

"Ahh, very well Sarah you’re brave. Soon, I'm sure you two are going to ride a camel indeed. But, did your father tell you about the most mysterious of all camels? One nobody can see? The old mail clerk asked the kids like in secrecy. He pinched softly Sarah's pinkish cheek and ruffled Peter’s golden hair.

"No, but all camels are especial father says," said Sarah timidly.

"He’s right dear Sarah. They all walked long in the desert. And children tell me then did you ever hear of the White Talking Camel?

"No, never, “Peter replied with wide eyes and his mind traveled like the wind and his imagination flew with it like desert sands. A White Talking Camel wow!  He asked himself.

“Well, let me tell you about him. This camel wanders through the desert. And only children can see! Hear this. Only children who are kind and brave can see him, they say! Only children like that can ride on its back! Mr. Berneke said smiling.

Can he bite me? Sarah asked.

"Ahh.no....He’s nothing like other camels. It's a pity that here in London nobody knows about him. It's the most beautiful of all camels. Oh that is the White Talking Camel indeed! He’s the one camel only children can ride on its back, the story says! The old man repeated.

"Pay attention children and listen to me now.

© Copyright 2015 Maximo Basco (maxbasco at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2024156-The-Camel-King