*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2025207-Into-the-Sky-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #2025207
When Violet Kalahari's sister commits suicide she is left with no place but Chandra Grey.
I walk alone in the rain to a run-down apartment building, as I've done for the past seventeen years—but for some reason—I felt a more ominous vibe. The gangbangers and dope-dealers were one thing, but this feeling… was something else entirely… But my suspensions weren't confirmed until I reached my doorstep. With my sister's friend Chandra and a state trooper at my doorstep, I knew this was no time for cake—despite it being my sister's birthday.



"Vi," said Chandra endearingly. "This officer has just informed me that earlier today… Kami committed a murder-suicide. She killed Abu, Ammi and herself." I hang my head and she comes closer to me and putting a hand on my shoulder, "I'm so sorry."



Misplaced as it is, I smirk, "Always the Drama Queen," I say with a single teardrop gliding down my face. "I knew this day would come… just didn't know it would happen so fast…" Tears begin to glide down my face as I try to repress a sniffle. That's when I start to think, "What am I supposed to do now? I'm going to college, how am I going to pay tuition? Where am I going to live?"



"It's okay," says the officer. "We'll make sure you go to the finest foster home—"



Before he could finish his sentence Chandra pulls me into a close embrace, "That won't be necessary! I shall take care of her!





         And that's the story of how I, Desoto "Violet" Kalahari age seventeen, soon to study medicine at University, fell under the care of Ms. Chandra Grey. But that was over two months ago, now I'm a full-fledged college student, but I'm still trying to make it day by day like anyone else. Only, I'm in a predicament like no one else… Ms. Grey is completely inept at anything involving housework. The cooking, and the cleaning, and the laundry, and the—aw, you know what I mean… so that's my job, in exchange for letting me stay here. So here I am, just making breakfast—minding my business—when Ms. Grey comes up behind me and attack-hugs me. Embarrassed, I turn to slap her, but instead she grabs my wrist, "My, what soft skin you have," she whispers in my ear, sending chills up my spine. "I have a question."



"What now?" I say.



He smirks, "When I wasn't here to show you the lath of luxury, whatever did you do?"A tomato in the sun could not compare to the fifty shades of red my face was turning, "The faint of heart—so pure."



I break free of her hug, yes—my predicament is like no other, With Ms. Grey spouting all this nonsense, and with me needing her to… to… well the point is she can pretty much say whatever she wants to me. Not to mention her overprotective nature, he always has to know where I am, what I'm doing, who am I with, and… well, you know what I mean.



I look at the time, I have and eight o'clock class and it's already seven-forty. "Ah, I'm going to be late," I say, grabbing my things.



He picks up her keys to his Ferrari, "Oh, don't worry. I'll just drop you off."



"Oh, there's no need. I can—"



"I wasn't asking. I'm dropping you off and that's final." I could have attempted to assert my dominance and equality, but I acquiesce and follow her to the car. In no time we're at the gate of the University and she lets me out of the car. "Call me when class is over and I'll pick you up." Says Ms. Grey



"Okay, see you then."



I'm so glad Kama was there, she's my old friend from high school. Kama had mentioned studying abroad, but I never imagined seeing her here. Kama always had a crush on one boy or another. But ever since Aedicule, my sister's boyfriend, tried to "touch" me when I was twelve, I've always kept my distance from them. But it's easy when it comes to our—I mean—my culture… but I just couldn't get over it… yet, I digress. My train of thought gets derailed when Kama grabs my arm, "Say goodbye to boys and hello to men!" she says as two rather handsome guys try to fan us down. "You're coming with us for drinks, not asking, telling."



As we leave campus Mr. Grey waiting with the car, "Are you ready Violet?" she asks.



"Uh…" I start. "Well, this is my friend Kama from high school—"



"Who you're friends with doesn't pertain to me," says Ms. Grey. She then motions for Kama to leave.



She gives off a huff fit for an Amtrak train and turns to leave, "Desoto, I'll give you and your friend five minutes, then we're leaving." And with that she walked off into the sunset… more like down the street.



Ms. Grey's gaze shifts from Kama to me, "Violet, what was that girl talking about, and why did she call you by that name?"



I lower my gaze, "Well…" I start, "We're going to get drinks, so…"



"Out of the question," Mr. Grey states. "You're a student and you need your rest. And you're under-aged at that, get in the car, we're going home."



"That's not fair!" I say, sounding a bit more childish than I wanted to. "You can't tell me what to do."



She takes two steps forward and I take a step back, since I figure now's not the time to cause a scene, so I give in and get in the car.



Once we get home I'm pissed, "What the Hell? If I want to hang out with my friends—"she interrupts my rant with a peck on the cheek.



"Do you see me?"



"What?" I ask. "O-Of course I see you. Y-You're right in front of me."



"Do you see the soul inside of me?"



I don't know, do I? I've always been so independent, not being under the care of anyone… but then Chandra comes along, and I feel like someone's taking care of me…



"I see you Ms. Grey"

© Copyright 2015 Star Noble (jt4kawaii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2025207-Into-the-Sky-Chapter-1