*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2025418-Lesson-one-exercise
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Educational · #2025418
Punctuation, Inc. lesson one exercise
Part A
We studied several definitions in this lesson. Look at each GROUP of abbreviations and words below. Find the definition that matches each group. Copy and paste the definition beside the word DEFINITION. Think of the group of abbreviations or words as EXAMPLES of one of the DEFINITIONS. Each definition is used once and only once.
1. HIV, scuba, p.m., Mr., R. G. Buckner, FBI, laser, prof.
DEFINITION #4c A common noun begins with a lowercase letter, and a proper noun is capitalized.
2. NASA, scuba, NATO, sonar, AIDS
DEFINITION #3 An acronym uses the first letters of several words and forms a word of its own.
The initials are pronounced as a single word.
*BulletR* NATO, NASA, AIDS, laser, radar, sonar, scuba
3. NBC, P. T. Barnum, p.m., HIV, MD, JFK
DEFINITION #2 An initialism uses the first letters of several words.
The letters in initialisms are pronounced as letters when we say them. (D-N-A; N-B-A)
Sometimes, especially with long words like deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA), letters are taken from the middle of a word.

4. Mrs., sgt., PhD, Jr., Rd.
DEFINITION #6 A contraction is, usually, an abbreviation that uses a variation of the first and last letters of a word.
*BulletG* Mr. (Mister), Mrs. (Mistress), amt. (amount), Dr. (doctor), atty. (attorney), supt. (superintendent)
5. Pres., Feb., Corp., Inc.
DEFINITION #
6. school, road, pet, ship
DEFINITION #4a A common noun is a word that refers to a person, place, or thing but not a specific person, place, or thing.
7. New Horizons Academy, Martin Luther King Blvd., Zoe, Titanic
DEFINITION #4b A proper noun is a word that names a particular person, place, or thing.
Part B
Read the rules below and fill in the blanks, using the rules in the lesson. Underline the answers.
1. The following abbreviations are always abbreviated: a.m., p.m., Mr., Mrs., and Ms. as well as Jr. and Sr. when part of a person's name.
2. Use periods with initials that stand for given names.
3. A space follows each period in initials forgiven names.
4. Familiar initialisms that are in all capitalletters should be written in their abbreviated forms, even when writing sentences.
5. Familiar acronyms should be left in their abbreviated form when writing sentences.
6. A period follows the D and the C in Washington, D.C.
7. There is no spacebetween the D and the C in Washington,D.C.
8. Do not use periodswhen a person's entire namehas been replaced by initials.
9. No spaces are needed betweenletters when a person's entire name has been replaced by initials.
10. Acronyms do not require periods whether in all capitalletters or not.
11. Acronyms with five or more letters are most likely to evolve into all lowercaseletters.
12. The Chicago Manual of Style prefers the all-capital form unless the acronym is listed otherwise in Merriam-Webster's Dictionary.

Part C
Follow the instructions below.
1. Write a sentence correctly using the abbreviation DC, according to rules 4a, 4b, 4c, and 4d.
1.The Smithsonian Institute is located in Washington, D.C.
4. Write a sentence that demonstrates rule #4e.
4. The District of Columbia is a popular tourist destination.
5. When you don't know how to capitalize or punctuate an abbreviation, what should you do?
5.look it up using Google.
6. List two abbreviations that are examples of Rule # 3b. Write what the abbreviation stands for beside the abbreviation.
EXAMPLE: FBI, Federal Bureau of Investigation
a. Ph.D, Doctor of Philosophy
b. OED, Oxford English Dictionary
Part D
Review the rules about using a or an with abbreviations.
Choose carefully whether to use a or an.
Underline a or an as well as the abbreviation that follows it.
1. Fox Mulder is anFBI agent whose cases are rather unusual.
2. A CIA agent lives next door to me, or so I think.
3. Leroy Jethro Gibbs is anNCIS agent; he solves crimes against navy officers.
4. My friend attends an AA meeting three times a week.
5. Ms. Winnie put a AA battery in her remote so she could watch a CBS show that we both love.
6. He recommended that high-risk members of our community receive anHIV test for free.
Part E
Beside each common noun, write a proper noun that goes with it.
Example: avenue, South Cannon Avenue
1. month, May
2. city, Vienna
3. road, Royal Road
Fill in the blanks below. Underline the answers.
1. Civil and military titles are always spelledout when writing sentences.
2. Begin a civilor military title with a capitalletter when it's next to a name.
3. Use lowercaseletters when the civil or military title is not next to a name.
4. A title next to a name is capitalized because it is a proper noun.
5. A title that is not next to a name is written in lowercase letters because it is a common noun.
Part F
Write a sentence using each of the following titles. Begin titles with capital letters when needed. Use lowercase letters when required. Demonstrate your knowledge of the rules we've learned this week.
1. president bush
1. President Bush enjoys painting and his father enjoys parachuting.
2. general (no name used)
2.The general has a case of indigestion.
3. attorney
3. My cousin is an attorney.
4. doctor (spelled out)
4. The doctor broke his front tooth.
5. phd (abbreviated)
5. James Brown, Ph.D, has a lot of college loans to pay off.
6. jr (as part of a person's name)
6. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a passionate speaker.
7. professor (either with or without a name)
7. Professor Plum committed murder in the library with the lead pipe.
Part G
Fill in the blanks below. Underline the words in the blanks.
1. If an academic title is next to a name, it is abbreviated.
2. An abbreviated academic title should only be used with a fullname.
3. The abbreviated title Dr. is an exception to that rule. It can be used with just a first or lastname.
4. When an abbreviated title follows a nameplace a commabefore the abbreviation.
5. If an academic titleis not next to a name, it is spelled out.
6. Academic titles that are spelled out should be written in lowercase letters.
7. Academic titles that are spelled out are written in lowercase letters because they are common nouns.
8. Never use a title both before a name and after the name.
9. Use a period after Jr. and Sr. However, there is no comma before Jr. or Sr., or before Roman numerals in names.
Part H
Princess Punctuation decided to test you on your knowledge of abbreviations in sentences. Please correct the mistakes below. Be careful; she's very tricky!
1. Joanie lives in dry rock tx at 297 contraction rd.
1.joani lives in Dry Rock, TX, at 297 Contraction Road.
2. Bill Cosby played the role of Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable, MD.
2a. Bill Cosby played the role of Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable.
2b. Bill Cosby played the role of Heathcliff Huxtable, MD.
Write BOTH ways to correct the big rule that the sentence above broke.
3. She ran the race in 13 min. and lost by only two sec. to Ray Ramano jr.
3. She ran the race in thirteen minutes, and lost by only two seconds to Ray Romano Jr.
4. We have 100 cases of oranges to sell, each case holding 24 oranges.
4. We have 100 cases of oranges to sell, each case holding twenty-four oranges.
5. When Jan's great-grandmother turned 95, they had a huge celebration with over 100 people present.
5. When Jan's great-grandmother turned ninety-five, they had a huge celebration with over 100 people present.
6. Shawn's best friend lives in Winslow az at 362 abbreviation ave.
6. Shawn's best friend lives in Winslow, AZ, at 362 Abbreviation Avenue.
Part I
There is one error, and only one, in each of the sentences below. Find the error. Correct the word and underline it.
1. Over $4,000,000 in United States currency was stolen.
1. Over $4,000,000 in US currency was stolen.
2. My family has lived in the US for over 200 years.
2. My family has lived in the United States for over 200 years.
3. For the trip, I packed my toothbrush, my hairbrush, my pajamas, etc
3. For the trip, I packed my toothbrush, my hairbrush, my pajamas, and so on.
4. I took along some things to keep me busy, i.e., books and journals.
4. I took along some things to keep me busy, for example, books and journals.
5. My wireless provider is AT & T.
5. My wireless provider is AT&T.
6. Three of my best friends are Missy, Joy, & Winnie.
6. Three of my best friends are Missy, Joy, and Winnie.

Part J
Click on the link below. Create a static item of your own and copy the Lesson One Rules and Definitions into your own static item. There is an ML version so that you can copy them easily into your item without losing the colors and sizes and other ML codes. A completed set of rules and definitions will count as part of your final grade.

[E]
List of punctuation rules and definitions for Punctuation Inc. at New Horizons Academy
by (690)

[Alarm Clocks [#1876380] Alarm Clocks] [Alarm Clocks [#1876380] Alarm Clocks]


Write It Right Assignment

Write a brief autobiograpy about yourself. Tell me a little about your family, your job, your hobbies, and so forth. Feel free to be creative, funny, serious, or whatever mood strikes you. I especially like creativity! It should be between 500 and 750 words. Any less or any more will result in points being deducted. And, of course, I'll expect you to use your best grammar and punctuation. This will help me get to know you and where you'll be starting from in this class. I hope you'll have fun with this assignment. Please put the word count at the bottom of your autobiography. This assignment counts as 35% of your grade.


[Alarm Clocks [#1876380] Alarm Clocks] [Alarm Clocks [#1876380] Alarm Clocks]


WEEKLY ACTIVITY and DISCUSSION
A. This is due by 11:59 p.m. on Tuesday night.
B. This gives you two days to interact with your classmates on the topic of discussion.
C. Your own response counts 15% of your weekly grade.
D. The interaction in the forum counts as 10% of your weekly grade.
E. Interact with at least two classmates on the topic of discussion. (I am counting.)

LESSON ONE ACTIVITY and DISCUSSION
*Books1* Look up the following LESS common abbreviations. Write the phrases to which they refer.
*Books2* You may find more than one correct answer, but please be sure to look them up. Don't guess. You only have to list one example, but it should be one of the most commonly used. Then, if you wish, you can list other ones.
*Books3* Discuss with your classmates the importance of spelling out the lesser known abbreviations first in your writing.
*Books4* Consider the consequences and the impact on the reader.
*Books5* Your own response counts as 15% of your grade.
*Books6* Your interaction with your classmates counts as 10% of your grade, and I am counting.
*Books3**Books5**Books1* Title your post "Lesson One AD" (Activity and Discussion).
*Tagr* Please don't use the color red.
1. ERISA
2. WLLN
3. MLA
4. HVAC
5. CGI
[Punctuation, Inc. Challenge [#1889267] Punctuation, Inc. Challenge on Chalkboard] [Punctuation, Inc. Challenge [#1889267] Punctuation, Inc. Challenge on Chalkboard]

Instructions for Lesson One Challenge
1. All Challenges are OPTIONAL. (Consider that you may need the bonus points, though.)
2. They offer opportunities to practice what you have learned.
3. They offer opportunities to earn a bonus point to be applied to your weekly grade.
4. Copy and paste all instructions and answers directly into "The Punctuation Inc. Classroom" .
5. Do not post a b-item link.
6. You never lose points for errors in the Challenge. It's a safe way to practice and to show me what you've learned.
7. Title your post Lesson 1 Challenge.

FORUM CHALLENGE
1. Write five family titles. (mom, dad, and so forth)
2. Beneath each title, write a sentence that uses that title. Use capital letters and lowercase letters correctly.
3. Underline the family titles.
4. Title your post Lesson 1 Challenge.
5. This is due by Thursday night at 11:59 like your other assignments.

[Princess Punctuation by Brooke [#1826231] Princess Punctuation by Brooke Meridith] [Princess Punctuation by Brooke [#1826231] Princess Punctuation by Brooke Meridith]


(690)


[Gingham Ms. Pat [#1873153] Ms. Pat signature for Punctuation Class by Legerdemain] [Gingham Ms. Pat [#1873153] Ms. Pat signature for Punctuation Class by Legerdemain]


Click on the title below for important links.

*Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down* *Down*

INC. LINKS ▼
© Copyright 2011 Pat ~ Happy Holidays! (UN: warriormom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Pat ~ Happy Holidays! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Be honest, encouraging and respectful. Include your overall impression and tips for improvement. See also: "Guidelines To Great Reviewing"
Rate Item:
1.0
1.0
1.5
2.0
2.5
3.0
3.5
4.0
4.5
5.0

0 Characters (
© Copyright 2015 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2025418-Lesson-one-exercise