*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026109-Vox
by Rayyna
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Supernatural · #2026109
A Commentary on Kindred Relations, By Baron Emanuel Francois Le Baptiste
“A man does not have himself killed for a halfpence or a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

Harmony and prosperity: the two aspirations of all conscious minds; a duality, to say the least, insofar as one often conflicts with the other, by natural existence. The ideals of coexistence are rarely circulated amidst many Kindred, as they have come to accept the inevitable circumstance of their being monsters and the wages of success often end in the malevolent downfall of their own holds on sanity. Truly, it can be said that to live as we do, is a balancing act, in which we shuffle for power and for control – prosperity – and that by achieving thus, often we only breed disharmony, and strife amidst our peers. What Kindred is not jealous? And what Kindred does not desire to sate themselves upon lifeblood, a sheer sign of inhuman chaos? Yet, amidst our own kind, we poise and posture, standing on all wits end, striving to conceal our failings. We court and dance, speaking of pleasantries and art, even openly contemplating and engineering the ends of eternity, laying mortar and brick for our uncertain futures.

While such an outlook may be seen as pessimistic, or bleak, the truth of the matter is in regards to the face of the situation. By pacing the dance and by practicing poise and eloquence, Kindred apply restraint which consequentially results in both inward harmony, as well as oftentimes, personal affluence. Even knowing this, though, it is an unfortunate fact that most Kindred fail to respect the assumed laws of diplomacy, and that they falter in the face of prudence. Succumbing to the throes of passion and the relentless thirsts of the predator within, Kindred often slip away, destroying the inner goals, as well as the peripheral pursuits, ravaging their own success instead of being able to dwell in it. What is consequential of the presence of the Invictus, however, is a dutiful capacity to bind these self destructive passions. What is required of Speakers, is the ultimate responsibility to have power over them.

Communication is a function of life. This is an undeniable fact, and all beings of sentience must acknowledge it. From the time of their birth, all beings begin to communicate with those who surround them. In most instances, it is difficult to fully comprehend such young things as children after birth; adults do tend to use their cries and actions to understand their needs. If a child laughs, does the adult not feel communicated with that the baby is happy? If the newborn cries, does the mother not instinctually respond by offering it her breast? Even though these are but simple and basic forms of communication, they are innate understandings, and all mortals are born with it – likewise with other creatures, one can only presume, as they tend to be born, live, and die as humans do. A master of words must begin to understand the basics of such inherent concepts, although most individuals may feel such need not be stated. As a counterpoint to this rationale, I believe it is imperative for one who is to rise to such a challenge to acknowledge all facets of the art, especially if they are to take such responsibility as willfully arming their tongue. Truthfully, comprehension of these elementary concepts prepares a Kindred with the ability to recognize and offer due respect to those with whom he speaks, especially in instances of dealing with those of inferior capabilities.

Another fundamental truth to words, especially in instances regarding the Kindred nature, is respecting their sheer power. The efforts of speech – and for that consideration, also writing – have culminated in forging the most key element of all known life: Society. It is by words, both spoken and writ, that society has come to exist, as it symbolizes the culmination of eons of communication. The power to create should be revered by all beings, and no greater force has weight than that of words. A King orders his subjects to construct a mighty castle, or a Queen calls for a salon. Even the lowest of mortals use words to beg for food or petty things, and by that they continue their own existence. Likewise, a well-wielded turn of phrase has devestated entire kingdoms, and men have met their ends. The use of words is truly the transitory phase between oblique concepts, and the work of doing. When one begins to respect that relationship, one begins to understand the necessity for respect of the concept of dialogue itself. Of course, it seems easy to recognize the overarching capabilities and uses of such a thing, but oftentimes individuals overlook the finer, more refined techniques of speech. Many do not understand that by inflecting a phrase one way, a Kindred could be brought to the brink of poverty, or that a fool could find frivolous favor by a slip of the tongue. What is comforting when considering this weighty, yet sometimes unapparent fact, rests in the knowing that the Invictus have devoted entire societies around the use of speech, and understanding the intricacies of its uses.

Founded in achievements of diplomacy and surreptitious dialogue, Invictus who have come to bear the honorific title of Speaker have ultimately accepted responsibility for displaying the countenance of the First Estate. Developing cordial relationships with and between divergent covenants is one notable duty sworn by these Unconquered; knowing how and when to sheer away those associations perhaps more so. The weight of language is reputable throughout the history of mankind for initiating all forms of conflict and resolution, and by appropriately representing the intentions of the Invictus, a Speaker can skillfully become the surgeon in all political and social arenas. When dealing with political, religious, and philosophical organizations outside the Invictus, one must keep constant awareness of the terms of the effort, including the current and past traditions of their audience, as well as their unspoken goals. For instance, when addressing an Acolyte, a Speaker should be wary of openly acknowledging or pushing their personal religious ideals, while at the same time inflecting a joint sense of spirituality, if such exists. In cases of conversation or diplomacy with the Ordo Dracul, an Invictus must remember to openly acknowledge and respect the covenant’s closely guarded mysteries, but simultaneously offer subtle reminders of a shared Kindred experience of developing safeguards over their predatory nature. By using such a tool in conversation, and measuring your counterpart adequately, an Invictus exhibits the capacity of the First Estate to remain in the role of leadership, both functioning as a guide and ally, while becoming neither too attached nor bound to unnecessary commitments. In the same stroke, the Speaker is capable of conveying the weight of their desires, without necessarily showing those intentions.

Becoming a master of language is imperative to absolute success for any Kindred who seeks to harness the disciplines of communication; understanding the finest traditions and points of etiquette are undeniable necessities when pursuing perfection in diplomacy. Regardless of these truths, the most important characteristic of speech and writing comes in the form of respect. One must respect both the fullest potential for the uses of such a tool, and – as with any weapon – one must pay homage to the dangerous power which they may wield. Whether their words are coated in honesty or lies, intent to create or destroy, or even simply relay dialogue from one party to the next, one must truly have esteem for the gravity of their speech. A knight or peasant will always stand in defense or come to the aid of one with whom they believe themselves bonded, and it is by words that all manner of beings shall come to those beliefs. It is by actions that we see the proof of ideals, there is no argument there, but it is truly by words that that we even begin to form those ideals at all. Words are ultimately the pen, and the mind the parchment, and in the end, the orator is the one who scribes his desires in the minds of his audience, forever.
© Copyright 2015 Rayyna (rayyna at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026109-Vox