*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026989-Lesson-two-exercise
Rated: 13+ · Other · Educational · #2026989
Punctuation, Inc exercise
*Clock2* The deadline for the Exercise and Write It Right Assignment is 11:59 p.m. Thursday.

LESSON TWO EXERCISE

1. Create a static item in your port. Title it Lesson 2 Exercise.
2. Copy all the rules and instructions into your static item, so you can refer back to them easily.
3. Copy all of the exercise sentences into your static item.
4. Complete your exercise according to the instructions.
5. Look back over your rules and your sentences, checking for errors.
6. Post the b-item link into "The Punctuation Inc. Classroom" .
7. Be sure to title your post Lesson 2 Exercise so I can easily find it. Smile


*Stop* Please do not use the color red in your assignments. *Stop*
*Pen* I prefer to reserve that color for my corrections and comments. *Pen*




PART A

Read the fragments below. Underneath each fragment write a sentence that corrects the fragment and makes it a complete sentence. This is your chance to show me your knowledge and creativity. Challenge yourself to write creatively. Make the sentences tell a story if you like. Use the names of your classmates if you want. Pretend you are writing each sentence as part of a story, and you want to really make the sentence as great as it can be. Correcting the fragment by writing a complete sentence will give you a perfect grade on this section. However, creativity is always appreciated and may earn you some kind of reward. Who knows what MY creative mind will come up with?

1. old piece of antique furniture.
1. I informed Missy she was being redundant when she spoke of an old piece of antique furniture.
2. the school bell.
2. Poppy heard her academy needed the school bell replaced, and, dressed as Scarlett O'Hara, she applied for the post.
3. a delightful day.
3. David attended a one-day seminar with three women named Delight, and joked that he had a "delightful" day.
4. my favorite cup of tea!
4.Standing on the U.S.S. Constitution viewing Boston harbor is my favorite cup of tea!
5. just after 3:00 p.m.
5. It was just after 3:00 p.m. when I entered the science-fiction convention dressed as Xena, Warrior Princess.
6. an old photograph.
6. She possessed all the depth of an old photograph.
7. played in the cold rain.
7. The Rolling Stones held a concert at Manning Bowl and they played in the cold rain.
8. darla and her cousin.
8. After I fed them Calamari with Haggis, Darla and her cousin stopped inviting themselves to dinner.
9. a delicious roast beef sandwich
9. He attended his vegetarian friend's costume party as a delicious roast beef sandwich.
10. a strange noise.
10. Frank couldn't tell if a strange noise meant the werewolf was snoring or the vampire was gargling.
Show your creativity!

PART B
Use the correct punctuation marks for each of the sentences below.
Underneath the sentence, paste the DEFINITION that shows the kind of sentence it is.
Then, paste the RULE that supports your decision to use the punctuation mark you used. Sometimes, there are two rules.

1. You did pick up Cindy from ballet class, didn't you?
DEFINITION:DEFINITION #10 A tag question can be created by making a statement and putting an auxiliary (helping) verb and a pronoun at the end. It appears to be half statement and half question.
RULE #3b A comma separates the statement from the question in a tag question.
RULE #3c Use a question mark at the end of a tag question.


2. My six-year-old son did not get off the bus, officer! Note that the mother is frantic.]
DEFINITION::#11 An exclamatory sentence is one which shows strong emotion.
*Leaf2r* Without the strong emotion, it would be an ordinary statement.

RULE: #4 An exclamatory sentence ends with an exclamation mark.



3. Have you filed for admission to nursing school?
DEFINITION: #9 A sentence that asks a direct question is an interrogatory sentence. It is also called a question.
RULE: #3a An interrogatory sentence, or direct question, ends with a question mark.

4. Turn that music down immediately!
DEFINITION:#8 A sentence that gives a command is an imperative sentence. It is also known as a command.
RULE:2b A strong, or emphatic, imperative requires an exclamation mark.

5. We traveled to Europe for our vacation
DEFINITION:#6 A declarative sentence tells or states something. It is also called a statement.
RULE: #1a A declarative sentence ends with a period.

6. There's a family of four trapped on the top floor of the burning building!
DEFINITION:#11 An exclamatory sentence is one which shows strong emotion.
*Leaf2r* Without the strong emotion, it would be an ordinary statement.
RULE: #4 An exclamatory sentence ends with an exclamation mark.

7. The waiter asked if the screaming baby was bothering us.
DEFINITION:#7 An indirect question refers to a question, but does not actually ask a question. Therefore, it is a statement, NOT a question.
RULE: #1b An indirect question ends with a period, just as other statements do.


8. The solution is obvious, isn't it?
DEFINITION:#10 A tag question can be created by making a statement and putting an auxiliary (helping) verb and a pronoun at the end. It appears to be half statement and half question.

RULE:#3b A comma separates the statement from the question in a tag question.
RULE: #3c Use a question mark at the end of a tag question.

9. Don't you dare turn on that television before you finish your homework!
DEFINITION::#8 A sentence that gives a command is an imperative sentence. It is also known as a command.
RULE:#2b A strong, or emphatic, imperative requires an exclamation mark.


10. Honey, don't forget to pick up the dry cleaning.
DEFINITION: #8 A sentence that gives a command is an imperative sentence. It is also known as a command.

RULE: #2a A mild imperative sentence ends with a period.

11. Do you honestly believe in aliens?
DEFINITION:: #9 A sentence that asks a direct question is an interrogatory sentence. It is also called a question.
RULE: #3a An interrogatory sentence, or direct question, ends with a question mark.

12. She wondered if he was telling her the truth.
DEFINITION: #7 An indirect question refers to a question, but does not actually ask a question. Therefore, it is a statement, NOT a question.
RULE:#1b An indirect question ends with a period, just as other statements do.

13. Call 911 right away!
DEFINITION:#8 A sentence that gives a command is an imperative sentence. It is also known as a command.
RULE:#2b A strong, or emphatic, imperative requires an exclamation mark.

PART C
Write the SIMPLE SUBJECT(S) and the SIMPLE VERB(S) that belong to them underneath the sentences.

1. New Horizons offers a variety of classes.
SUBJECT: New Horizons
VERB: offers

2. Marty thought about the two rules and pasted the correct answer underneath the sentence.
SUBJECT:Marty
VERB:thought
VERB:pasted

3. Mazie and Darla helped each other in the classroom forum.
SUBJECT:Mazie
SUBJECT:Darla
VERB:helped

4. Ms. Winnie visited our classroom, and she told us about her class.
SUBJECT:Ms. Winnie
VERB:visited
SUBJECT:she
VERB:told

5. Daryl used a Thesaurus and found just the right word.
SUBJECT:Daryl
VERB:used
VERB:found

6. Ms. Pat grades all the assignments as quickly as possible.
SUBJECT:Ms. Pat
VERB:grades

7. Tonia searched the dictionary, and then she wrote the word correctly.
SUBJECT:Tonia
VERB:searched
SUBJECT:she
VERB:wrote

8. Matthew and Allison practiced good punctuation in their e-mails.
SUBJECT:Matthew
SUBJECT:Allison
VERB:practiced

9. Ms. Winnie and Ms. Pat are punctuation pals, and they help each other out.
SUBJECT:Ms. Winnie
SUBJECT:Ms. Pat
VERB:are
SUBJECT:they
VERB:help

10. The newly fallen snow covered the branches in the trees.
SUBJECT:snow
VERB:covered

[Princess in Pink Letters [#1876374] Princess in Pink Letters] [Princess in Pink Letters [#1876374] Princess in Pink Letters]

*Crown* The Princess reminds you to *Crown*
Set your Access Restrictions to Punctuation Inc. Group .

[Read and Write Bears Divider [#1876566] Read and Write Bears Divider by Leger] [Read and Write Bears Divider [#1876566] Read and Write Bears Divider by Leger]

Instructions for Lesson Two Write It Right Assignment


*ButtonR* Create a static item in your port with the instructions and completed Write It Right Assignment in it.
*ButtonB* Remember to review the rules from Lesson One.
*ButtonG* Post the b-item link to your completed Write It Right Assignment in "The Punctuation Inc. Classroom" .
*ButtonV* Title your post Lesson 2 WIR.

LESSON TWO WRITE IT RIGHT ASSIGNMENT
The following assignment reviews the rules we learned in Lesson One. You only have to correctly punctuate the sentences in this section. You will not have to cut and paste the rules. However, I strongly urge you to look back over the rules, especially if you have any doubts about your answers. Remember that, with abbreviations, the following things are considered: punctuation marks, capitalization or lowercase, spaces or no spaces, and commas or no commas. You must also remember that some words are always spelled out in sentences and some are always abbreviated.

1. Our firm recently hired J.Q., Wyle P
1.our firm recently hired J.K. Wyle, PhD.
2. ncis agt Gibbs turns to agt McGhee when complex computer skills are needed
2.NCIS agent Gibbs turns to agent McGhee when complex computer skills are needed.
3. My uncle who works at nasa lives on Houston St
3.My uncle, who works at NASA, lives on Houston Street.
4. My next door neighbor is Dale Earnhardt Junior
4. My next-door neighbor is Dale Earnhardt Jr.
5. Jerry, why did you leave the party at 8:00 pm
5. Jerry, why did you leave the party at eight p.m.?
6. We asked the RN for a dr's excuse from work
6. We asked the registered nurse for a doctor's excuse from work.
7. Have you read the latest book by jk Rowling
7. Have you read the latest book by J.K. Rowling?
8. The new gov. met with sen. Matthews at 10:00 am
8. The new governor met with Senator Matthews at ten a.m.
9. William B Howard, III lives in Opelika AL at 276 Auburn ave
9. William B. Howard III lives in Opelika, Alabama, at 276 Auburn Avenue.
10. Bill Cosby was a big hit playing doctor Heathcliffe Huxtable MD
10. Bill Cosby was a big hit playing Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable.
10. Bill Cosby was a big hit playing Heathcliff Huxtable, MD.
There are TWO ways to correct number ten. Please write both ways.

BONUS: What kind of abbreviation is WIR? HINT: I pronounce it like the verb "were."
An acronym.
© Copyright 2015 Whiskerfacebythefireplace (whiskerface at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2026989-Lesson-two-exercise