*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028682-TEC
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #2028682
My experience with doing TEC (Teens Encounter Christ) weekends.
Have you ever experienced something that changed your life? I have, it all started at TEC. Fall of my freshmen year I went to attend a Teens Encounter Christ (TEC) weekend. Upper high school students lead TEC with guidance from adults. It was a 3-day experience of growing in my faith, learning about God and myself. The weekend was a whirlwind of listening to stories, meeting new friends, reflecting on my life, asking questions, praying, talking with one another, learning about the journeys we walk, and being apart of a wonderful and loving community. The warmth that was shared was incredible. I knew I was a part of something special. I could tell it was God spreading his love to all of us. TEC is a time where no one makes judgments and people show love and kindness with sincerity. The atmosphere that surrounded us during that weekend surprised me. People were open, helpful, nice, accepting, and honest. It was an extraordinary time where I was exposed to the concept of agape, meaning unconditional love. It’s the notion that there are people who love you just because they can without any qualms. This community is a family that we choose to be a part of. At TEC people feel more inclined to share personal stories that they might not tell elsewhere because TEC has a feeling of safety. It’s a rare time when we know that something we said won’t be repeated at lunch the next week.

When I was participating at TEC, my parents were separated contemplating divorce. I was struggling and I didn’t even know it at the time. After hearing a couple people tell their stories, it was inspiring and gave me courage. With that in mind, when someone asked me how I was I didn’t automatically say, “I’m fine.” It surprised me when I told her about my parents; I have always been a private person. She just listened while I unloaded all the emotions I had been hiding, too afraid to share. It was nice to talk with someone who didn’t want to fix anything or be wise offering sage advice but rather just to be present with me.

It was a weekend that positively impacted me and made me want to strive to be a better version of myself. I learned that I could trust others and that I didn’t have to be afraid to say what was on my mind. It made me believe in myself and be able to be more aware of my feelings with the ability to express them through healthy ways. It also gave me a way to take on leadership roles and be seen as a leader to my peers.

After going to TEC I try to pattern my life after Jesus Christ’s. I became more open to accepting others. I try showing people the kindness I have felt. I am more inclusive and helpful to outcasts, which include the poor, lonely, and individuals who feel undeserved. I am more forgiving to friends, family, strangers, and enemies.

Going to TEC has been a life altering experience that I am so grateful to have participated in. I met new amazing friends, I felt new emotions, and it helped me grow as a person.
© Copyright 2015 clairebear1412 (claire1412 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2028682-TEC