*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030123-The-Dark-Crystal
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #2030123
My first draft of the start of my story "The Dark Crystal". Please tell me what you think!
I continued down the old cobbled road, walking past house after house, in the hopes of seeing anything that might jog my memory on where I was.

Lost, I thought, lost in my own home city!

I couldn't believe how stupid I had managed to be. I had spent another night getting drunk on cheap ale, and now I was paying the price for it. In my drunken state, I fell over, and when I brought myself back to my feet I could see an inn in front of me.

Maybe I could stay here, just for one night.



I walked into the building, and there were still a couple of people at the bar. I walked over, and spoke to the barman, "Are you the innkeeper?" I asked him,

"Why, yes, I am," he told me, "Do you want to stay the night?"

"Yeah," I replied, "How much?"

"That'll be three coppers," he stated. I handed over the money, and sat down, "I'll have a pint of ale, too, thanks."

The innkeeper poured my pint, and as I began drinking it, the man next to me began speaking to me.

"So, you heard about that kidnapping?" he asked,

"No," I told him, "I'm not from around here."

"Well," he replied, "If you're looking to earn a bit of money, I'm interested in going after it, and i'll need somebody to help me."

I thought about the offer for a second. Whilst I didn't want to risk my life going after somebody who was kidnapped, I needed the money to fuel my ale habit. Anyway, I didn't have anything better to do.

"Sure I can leave tomorrow afternoon, once I get my stuff."

"Brilliant!" he exclaimed, before holding his hand out for me to shake it, "I'm Caleb, by the way. You?"

I took his offer of a handshake, before introducing myself, "Keane. It's nice to meet you!"

© Copyright 2015 Séamus ó Peatain (seamusopeatain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2030123-The-Dark-Crystal