*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2034175-Reign-of-the-Harvest-Moon---My-costume
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #2034175
Part 3 in this series, the plot starts to unfold for Jessie in this new world....
      The sweet smell of caramel popcorn and roasted peanuts to the left mixing with the savory scent of pepperoni and cheese to the right flooded her nostrils as soon as the door opened made her realize how hungry she was. She bought a freshly baked pretzel as a small snack to forbear the need to eat until her shopping was completed.  All the previous year's Jessie has been a big fan of looking as scary and intimidating as possible,  even winning the costume party two years in a row in middle school for dressing as the ghost from "grudge" one year and The urban legend of "bad witch" the next.  This year Kim made her promise to dress up more cute and sexy since they were now into getting guys attention these days.  Jessie found Tar Jays which Kim mentioned had the sales on costumes and walked straight to the Halloween section.  Several rows dedicated to the holiday were still full since the party was scheduled earlier this year, she would likely have her top choices available in her size. There was the sexy leprechaun, the kitten, the maid, school teacher...so many to choose from she didn't know where to start. She felt lost in this new world and quite frankly missed the fact that she wasn't going to be able to pore blood all over herself since no one would think that was cute.  She walked around the isles searching for her favorite and decided the Egyptian queen slash Cleopatra costume would be better than a princess and grabbed her size. As she walked around to the next isle for accessories, out of the corner of her eye she thought she saw a dark figure staring at her but No one was there when she looked in the direction.  She grabbed a fake sphinx cat and Egyptian style jewelry then turned towards the fitting room and thought she saw the figure again but didn't turn this time. She turned the corner and stopped in the next aisle to listen for footsteps but there were none. She walked down the narrow hallway and entered the fitting room which was empty, she entered and closed the door. There were several doors to choose from and she picked the one on the end.  Feeling a little eerie about being watched she quickly tried on the costume with her personal clothes sitting on the bench. She put the jewelry on then examined the complete look in the mirror, the lights started to flicker then faded out.
"Hello? Please turn on the lights, I'm still in here."
No one answered back, she hated the dark and with every second her anxiety grew. The sound of a creaking door opened painfully slow.  It sounded like the main door to the room.
"Hello, hello, please turn on the lights!"
Still no answer and no footsteps, after a few seconds she could hear the first dressing room door slowly open, then the second door slowly open.
"Stop messing with me I am going to scream!"
She pulled her pants up and shirt on over the costume then felt around in the dark for her phone and her shoes. The third door opened slowly followed by the fourth.  She was now terrified at this point because if she ran out they could grab her, maybe she should stay in there and lock the door. The fifth door open when she heard a low gurgle sound, then the sixth door opened. She checked her door to make sure it was locked realizing she had forgot to push the button.  Just as she pushed the button on the handle to lock, the knob tried to turn causing her to stumble backwards towards the wall.  She turned on her cell phone to shine a bit of light on the door, the knob stopped turning. She fought hard not to breathe loud even though she felt that whoever it was knew she was inside. Jessie used the light of her phone to look at the openings below the walls that were large enough for something to possibly crawl under, nothing happened. She turned to the mirror with her light, the dark shadow figure was standing there facing her as if inside of the mirror but there was nothing in the room with her. She rushed to the door almost busting it down before turning the handle to unlock and ran to the exit of the room.  The shadow was in another mirror, she ran out of the room and into the isles screaming, no one came.  She reached the register and saw an employee ringing out a customer, Jessie grabbed her arm
"There's a man in the dressing room! He tried to attack me!"
"What? Slow down. Someone tried to attack you? The woman at the register said.  A man who also worked there came over to the commotion.
"Yes they are still back there" she frantically plead for their help.
"OK I'll go check it out, call security. You wait here" pointing at Jessie, The man walked towards the dressing room area.
Moments passed as they intently watched, Jessie called Kim to see if she could find a friend to give her a ride home. She told her the day had been extremely bizarre and that she'd tell her about it.  Kim agreed to get one of their friends to help pick up Jessie.  Just as she hung the phone up she thought she saw the dark figure again and believed it looked more like a shadow in the day, it wasn't just the darkness of the room messing with her. She ran out of the store into the mall while the woman at the register urged her to stay. Jessie walked nervously to the front of the mall hoping security wouldn't stop her for the big commotion she made before leaving the scene, no one noticed her. The school wasn't far, Jessie opened the front doors of the mall to Kim hanging out of the passenger window yelling for her to come on. Jessie approached the car then noticed who was driving.
"Oh no I'm not getting in there! Why did you have to ask him?"
"Look girl everyone else was gone for the day, you lucky I hung around watching the team practice.  What other options do you have? Get in girl!"
Kim laughed as Jessie opened the back door, Todd was sitting quietly in the back. He was who Kim stayed to watch and was interested in her also.
"So what happened in there, you sounded like the mob was after you." Kim turned around to look at Jessie's facial expressions.
"I'll tell you later but I went there to get a costume then just freaked out." Jessie shook her head.
"So you didn't get anything?"
"Hell no...oh I guess I did?" Jessie pulled the collar of her shirt down exposing the costume.
"Oh shit you're a criminal girl, that's why you called me panicking. You needed a getaway ride!" Kim laughed
"No it wasn't like that. I had to get out of there because someone was fucking with me. They turned out the lights in the dressing room."
She looked from Kim to Patrick "I forgot I had it on."
"Whatever girl don't sweat it, we not judging. My mom got mine on her lunch so we are set for tomorrow. "Kim turned around as the guys drove to drop them off at home.

© Copyright 2015 Knglee3rd (lthornton3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2034175-Reign-of-the-Harvest-Moon---My-costume