*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035375-Internship-Application-Essay-Draft
Rated: E · Essay · Career · #2035375
In 400 words describe how you think the program will help you to achieve your future goals
Hello all who read this. This is another draft of my internship application essay. Last time I wasn't clear about what this was supposed to include so I'll clarify that; the essay topic is in 400 words (or fewer) please describe how you think the program will help you to achieve your future goals. There are other parts to the application that include other personal things, like my interest areas and such, and also a recommendation. So I hope to get some useful feedback on this and thanks to all who have helped edit it thus far!


Advances in medical research have greatly improved people's life expectancies. Where my grandfather barely remembers his mother because she died when he was young, my children may live to know their great-grandparents. However, improvements come at a cost. I witness and remember more deaths than ever before. Observing these deaths are inevitable, but the trouble comes with remembering.

I remember aunts incapable of going to the bathroom on their own because ovarian cancer had progressed too far. I remember friends unable to communicate due to stroke. I remember grandparents too sick to be around on Thanksgiving as a result of prostate cancer. And I now witness my mom, living with fibromyalgia, too exhausted and aching to do anything besides lie down and sleep some days.

No one should have to keep these memories.

Inspired by these recollections, I fell in love with helping others. I still was the “do everything” type of kid, though. I wanted to try every sport, every instrument, every subject and succeed in it all. And succeed I did…until high school, where reality set in. I realized I was pretty good at a lot of different things. However, I wasn’t truly great at one thing.
When exposed to biology last year, life clicked together. I loved the subject, I was good at it, and it was a direct path to helping others. I took the AP Biology exam and attended lectures at UCONN Health Center, given by doctors from all different fields.  Then earlier this year, Dr. Mor spoke to my class about his ovarian cancer research and it was extremely motivating to see his passion. After all this, I found what I’m meant to do. I feel these experiences reflect my commitment, and I’m eager to showcase my talents.

My goal with medicine is to minimize the scary memories and replace them with happy people fulfilling their lives. This means we need better cures and treatments. And this is why your program is so important. I want to be a part of the revolution to restore cheerful memories. And I want to start that now, assisting in research and learning new skills I could only dream of without this opportunity. I accept the challenges this field has in store with fervor. I recognize the trust and responsibility that is attached to a chance this prestigious and I will strive to set precedence for future scholars.
© Copyright 2015 amarinello579 (amarinello579 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2035375-Internship-Application-Essay-Draft