*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2036848-The-Curator-prologue
by Mike
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #2036848
this is the life of an astronaut who struggles his way from the surface to the exosphere.
This is the story of how lived, and how I died...



At least, I think I died hard, it’s to say, the lack of air is making my head a little fuzzy…


I live in an orbital satellite known as “the index” this satellite was created to test various materials and organisms responses to zero gravity and EVA tests. That is my job, I am this stations “curator” and as per protocol, I am literally alone on this nearly aircraft carrier sized piece of orbiting metal. Jeez, listen to me go on I’m sorry my name is mike, mike Thompson and whoever cares to hear my story before I fully fade out into hypoxia. It all started when I was a kid in elementary school, ironically this school was named after the “would be” astronaut Christa McAuliffe, kind of funny that my affinity for space travel went back that far. Any way our school would make an event out of each shuttle launch, a large projector in every room would show the massive marvel flying up “there”. At that time I couldn’t see myself doing anything but aerospace engineering. It’s just too bad the damn old men in the capital decided to “postpone further development due to budget restraints”, pricks… I was devastated, for six years I was forced to bartend and live in a shitty apartment in Fort Myers. Truth is my schooling for aerospace was tailored for aerospace, that bill rendered them useless. Day after day I went to work, came home, and walked by the long shattered frame holding my blood stained degree. At this I would look at my scarred hands and collapse. I was totally without purpose, like a bird without wings, like I said, I went along like that for seven years and couldn’t bring myself to change. Until I saw on the news at the bar television, a company was looking for candidates for space travel. That night I packed up my apartment went to go give notice to my boss. I was met with a paper, already signed and filled out. She told me to, and I quote “do something worth a damn, god only knows everyone else in this town can’t” I hugged her crying. I got in my old beat up torus. At that she shouted “you’ve made the grade major Thompson!” clearing my eyes I set off to Arizona.

And that’s what broke and built me into what I am now.
© Copyright 2015 Mike (the_curator at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2036848-The-Curator-prologue