*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038790-The-Sparrows-Vs-The-Raven
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Animal · #2038790
"Based on actual events" A pair of Sparrows try and overcome a threat from a large Raven.
The Sparrows Vs The Raven


Owen the Raven looked down at the sparrows' nest below him hungrily. He had spent the entire day waiting for the perfect moment to strike and hadn't eaten yet. There were two eggs in the sparrows nest and though they weren't very big Owen knew that today they would be his. He had been watching the sparrows from his hiding spot among the trees just out of sight for the past week and had observed their flying patterns closely during that time.

They'd flown regularly to and from the nest in preparation for the exciting egg hatching event and Owen threatened to shatter all their hopes and dreams forever by putting his plan into action. Finally the moment arrived. The two parents flew away from the nest at the same time and Owen knew it was his time to act. He hopped for joy, for he knew that this time, the eggs were his!

Today he would eat sparrow eggs for lunch all thanks to the blind trust Flynn and Lin had in the safety of their chosen nesting place. With a quick nod of his head, Owen swooped down from his perch, and flew straight towards his target. With a rapid movement of his beak he cracked open one of the eggs and began to eat. He was so anxious to satisfy his hunger that he was totally oblivious to the sparrows. When Flynn and Lin saw Owen in their nest, they attacked him at once, without care or concern for their own safety. They knew well that Owen the Raven was twice their size but it didn't matter to them. They wanted him promptly out! Owen was surprised at how brave the little sparrows were.

"I will deal with these two first! Owen thought as he flew up out of the nest and high into the cloudy grey sky. They will make fine appetizers before I complete the main dish!"

Flynn and Lin gave chase and flew after Owen just as he thought they would. He was prepared for them and attacked Lin first. He hit her hard and knocked Lin down into the trees. Flynn watched as his mate fell and became filled with raging emotion. He charged towards Owen and pecked him fiercely in the head. Flynn the sparrow and Owen the Raven battled fiercely, each one relentlessly continuing to fight, while Lin lay on the ground in the shelter of the tress below the two fighters unconscious. Lin didn't move for a long time and it seemed like she wasn't ever going to get back up until suddenly, she shook her head from side to side, and slowly opened her eyes. She let herself recover from the shock of Owens fierce hit before she tried to fly again. Then she stretched her wings out and took off back to the nest to check on her eggs. When she reached the nest she made a horrifying discovery. Owen had broken open one of her eggs!

Lin became heart broken. Owen had succeeded in destroying a part of their hopes and dreams, for though there was one egg left in the nest, she had two. Now she had only one. Lin cried and became filled with great sadness. Her emotions quickly turned into fierce resentment towards Owen, for she realized that he was solely responsible for shattering their happiness so carelessly. With that single thought etched in her head, she took off at once to help her husband in the fight to avenge their lost offspring. Owen and Flynn were still locked in combat when Lin arrived. Owen had all his attention on Flynn so he didn't notice Lin as she flew past. She circled behind Owen and pecked him in the soft part of his right wing with all her might. Owen cawed out in pain from the critical hit and swooped low above the trees as he tried to regain his lost flight balance.

Owens wing throbbed painfully as he tried to get back into the sky however Flynn wasn't about to give him the time to recover. He charged at Owen and pecked and clawed at him as best as he could while Lin distracted him. She flew about the Ravens head as Flynn continued with his attacks. The three fighters moved away from the treetops and continued to battle above a busy highway. The traffic was light and cars were zipping by at more than the regular speed. Owen tried to fight back against Flynn and Lin but the two sparrows fought like vultures and he couldn't keep up. He couldn't fly at peak performance anymore. The sparrows were much faster and much more agile than he because of his wound, plus his right wing was in so much pain, that he was barely able to stay in the air much less fight back and defend himself.

Owen knew that he had no choice but to retreat. He tried desperately to escape back to the trees for cover but the two sparrows Flynn and Lin wouldn't let him get away. They continued to peck at him relentlessly and easily outmaneuvered him.

"If I can't escape than I will make a final attack! Owen thought as he flew high into the sky with much pain. I will teach these sparrows not to mess with the might of Owen the Raven!"

With his last ounce of strength Owen dived towards Flynn and Lin and tried to hit them into the traffic below. The two sparrows quickly realized what Owen was about to do and retreated, leaving Owen in a total state of confusion, as he dove down into the path of an oncoming truck that was roaring at high speeds along the highway.

Owen didn't even have time to react as the truck hit him. Flynn and Lin flew off to comfort one another and recover from the fight as Owen lay dying by the side of the highway. The two sparrows consolidated each other in their nest with their last remaining egg as Owen found himself contemplating his final seconds of life. He took in his last breath and realized before he died, that he had paid a costly price for disturbing the sparrows' happiness.

END


© Copyright 2015 Mark Edward Rom (markedwardrom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2038790-The-Sparrows-Vs-The-Raven