*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040680-The-Elven-Ch-2
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2040680
In which Gillian explores the forest floor and meets new friends
Gillian woke early to the sun beating down on the small lean-to that Tegan had quickly and skillfully made last night. Gillian crawled out of the shelter. She saw that Tegan had already been up and made a small fire. Gillian looked around. They had walked quite far before Tegan had said they could stop and Gillian had quite literally collapsed once Tegan had made the lean-to. They were still among the tall pines that Gillian knew surrounded the tower for many miles. She was pretty sure they were east of the tower. It was a beautiful day. Gillian could see the sun shining through patches in the branches of the pines. The thick branches kept the heat enclosed and so the air was hot and humid below the pines. Everything shone green. It was amazing. Gillian had never been on the forest floor before. She couldn’t remember ever being out of the tower. She took a deep breath and centered herself. She reached out to the auras around her. She could see and feel the energy of everything around her. It was stunning. She reached out to touch the orange energy of the wild flower beside her. Once she made contact, she felt connected to the plant. Lowina had told her that this was possible, but living in the tower, she had never connected to a living thing before. The flower was so happy. So content. Soaking in the heat and the moisture in the air. Gillian felt happy just feeling the flowers happiness. It was wonderful.

“Good morning, Miss” Tegan said. Gillian jumped and the energy was quickly released. She turned to Tegan, unhappy that she had interrupted her time with the flower.

“Good morning, Tegan. And please, just call me Gillian.”

Tegan smiled and nodded. She then took the rabbit she had just snared from her pack and began skinning it. She noticed that Gillian refused to watch this.

“Do you have any family, Gillian?” Tegan asked. She was very curious about the girl and wanted to learn what she could.

“Just my aunt, Lowina.” Gillian said.

“What about your parents?” Tegan asked politely. Gillian paused for a moment.

“They died when I was young. Lowina took care of me.” Gillian eventually said.

“I’m sorry,” Tegan said. “My parents died when I was young as well.”

Gillian said nothing for a while. Tegan wrapped the rabbit meat in some herbs and cooked it over the fire. She knew not to push people to talk when they didn’t want to.

“The tower was my home. I have no memory of ever leaving it.” Gillian said slowly. Tegan had guessed as much. There was a certain innocence to the girl that made her think she hadn’t seen much of the world. Still, she was more than a little startled. She couldn’t imagine not having been outside. Being locked in a tower for her whole life sounded like torture or imprisonment. However, Tegan also understood what it was like to have your only home destroyed right in front of you.

“I’m sorry about your home. Where will you go now? Where is your aunt?”

“Lowina is travelling. She said she wouldn’t return for at least a month. My aunt is a very mysterious and cryptic woman, she wouldn’t say where she’s going.” Gillian paused. “But I have an idea of where she might be.” Gillian turned to Tegan.

“Tegan, my aunt has a great deal of money in the bank in Creta. If you take me there and keep what you have seen to yourself, I promise you half of the total account. I can use the rest to make the rest of the journey to where Lowina might be.”

“Gillian, I plan on returning to Creta now anyways, I’d enjoy the company, no payment necessary. And as for your secrets, I already promised I would keep them to myself. I understand not wanting others to know your business. I’ll help you make the trip to Creta, and you are welcome to stay with myself and the sisters until you are ready to depart. You can trust me.”

Tegan looked Gillian in the eye. She was being honest. She’d love to have company on her return to Creta. And she had no one to tell her secrets to except Sherl and Joanna, and they wouldn’t tell anyone anyway. Gillian nodded.

Their first day together, they were both very quiet. Gillian said she knew of a small river nearby full of fish, so Tegan suggested they spent the morning fishing and getting supplies together before they start making their way to Creta. Tegan quickly learned that Gillian needed lots of instruction when it came to even simple survival skills. Having lived in the tower, Gillian had had everything provided for her and she wasn’t used to working for what she needed. Even so, she didn’t complain. The tasks did take her longer though. Tegan was very patient with her and explained in detail what she needed to do. Before noon, they were fishing together in river.

Gillian was finding it very hard to focus on what Tegan would tell her. Her senses were exploding. She had never been so directly exposed to nature and it was overwhelming for her. As she stepped on the grass she could see its energy aura swirl and change as it adapted to the pressure. Being closer to the birds and rabbits, she could sense and see their energies change and tense with their presence. The trees were stunning. So incredibly full of life. Gillian had to resist the urge to touch each one and feel the magical energy go through her. Even the sun was enchanting. Gillian could feel her own aura brighten as it basked in the warm sunlight.

Fishing was slow and boring for Gillian. She just wanted to explore this new outside world and discover what else she was capable of. But with this curiosity and excitement also came fear. Her aunt had kept her hidden for so many years for a reason. Abilities like hers were wanted by the council. Her whole life she had lived in fear of being found. Now she was entirely exposed. The temptation of magic itself was also a danger. Lowina had always warned her that the improper use of magic could overwhelm a person and could even cost them their life. This is why Gillian was taught as little as possible about her abilities. Lowina said she wanted Gillian to be ready before she was taught more.

This and so many thoughts and questions were swirling around Gillian’s brain. She wanted to talk to Tegan about it but it felt like a strange urge to her. She wasn’t used to talking to anyone but Lowina. And Lowina was always so cryptic and not always the easiest to talk to.

The day passed quickly and quietly. Tegan wasn't sure what to say to Gillian, so she just stayed silent. They prepared to leave the next morning. As evening came, Tegan cooked up some of the fish as Gillian watched, or tried to watch. Really, she was focused on the energies around her. Tegan said something and Gill looked up.

"Sorry?" She said quietly.

"Did you hear that?" Tegan whispered. Slowly looking around. Then Gillian heard it, a slight pounding and rustling of leaves as something made it's way through the forest.

"I thought you said there was no game here?" Tegan whispered.

Gill looked toward the sound and without thinking, reached out with her senses and saw glimmers of massive auras heading towards them.

Gillian gasped.

"They're huge." She said, dazed.

"Skraphl?" Tegan asked. Not waiting for a response. She strung her bow and grabbed Gillian's arm. "Run."

Gillian followed behind Tegan as she ran, struggling to keep up. They weren't Skrapl, she would have recognized their dark energy, but there were many and they were huge. Suddenly they heard howling infront of them and they froze. Then the howling was behind them. Tegan sprinted to the right and Gillian followed. The howling grew louder and the pounding footsteps shook the bushes. Then the howling was all around them. They stopped again and looked around themselves. They could see nothing but the howling hurt their ears. Tegan readied her bow. The howling stopped. All at once, huge wolves started to slowly emerge from the trees. Tegan shot at one but the wolf swiftly sidestepped the arrow. Tegan saw there was no use shooting anymore. When the twenty wolves surrounded them in a complete circle they stopped. Gillian noticed their auras were all a similar brown and moved like other animals she had seen, but more intricate. The biggest wolf stepped forward and as it did, it's fur seemed to quiver. Right in front of their eyes, the wolf stood on it's hind legs and morphed slowly into a beautiful naked woman with caramel skin and short dark hair.

Tegan had never heard of such a thing. She glanced at Gill but she looked just as surprised.

Gill felt rude for staring and quickly looked down. That's stupid, she thought. They're probably going to eat us.

The woman smiled at the girls.

"Be not afraid, Gillian," she said in a sweet voice. "We mean you no harm."

Gillian looked back at the woman.

"How do you know who I am?" She asked in a shaky voice.

"I am friends with Lowina. I haven't seen you since you were a baby, the day you came to the tower. You've grown up beautifully.”

Gillian was caught off guard. Lowina never talked about having any friends. She didn’t really know what to say.

“Lowina really has kept you sheltered, hasn’t she?” The woman continued, sensing Gillian’s confusion. “My name is Ikarus and these are my people, the lycanthrope. Wolf people. Lowina saved my life long ago and so when she came to me 18 years ago asking for a favour, I could not refuse, nor did I want to. She asked me for use of our peoples old tower and for my people to protect you when she was away. I eagerly agreed. We’ve been guarding your tower ever since whenever Lowina has gone away. We came now because we wanted to apologize. We failed in our duty. Some of us got into a bit of a disagreement with a neighbouring pack and the rest of us went to try and defuse the tension, we were only away for a day. We were on our way back when we saw signs of the Skraphl. We figured you’d be alright for one day. We were very wrong.”

“I was lucky Tegan was there, she got me out safely.” I said, glancing at Tegan, she still looked tense.

“It was more than just luck, child.” An elderly woman had morphed and stepped forward. She wore a light robe and handed a similar one to Ikarus to put on. She had one crippled leg that was curled inward. She hobbled quickly over to Gillian and stood right and front of her. She took Gillian’s arm and pulled her down so their faces were level.

“Gillian, Tegan, this is Arehlia, our wise woman.” Ikarus said.

“What do you mean, it was more than luck?” Tegan asked cautiously.

“I mean, Tegan, that you were destined to find this girl.” The woman spoke slowly, still staring at Gillian. “It is not by chance that you came across her tower on the very day that she was attacked. It is also not by chance that this was not your first encounter with the Skraphl. I see your arm is healing well by the way.”

Tegan was speechless. What does this woman know about the attack on my village? Finding Gillian was destiny?

Gillian spoke up.

“You know I healed her arm?” It was not the first question that came to mind but it was the first one that found it’s way our of her mouth.

“Yes my dear, but you should do your best to keep that information to yourself. There is no known cure for a Skraphl scratch or bite. Your powers are stronger than anyone anticipated. It is important you learn soon what you are capable of, for soon your powers will be greatly needed.”

“How do you know these things?” Tegan asked curiously.

“I’m a very old and wise woman.” Arehlia said with a wink.

“But-“ Tegan started.

“Now listen you two,” Arhelia said, grasping their hands and pulling them toward her. “You’re going to need to trust each other and work together. Tegan, work on your shot. You’re going to need to take down creatures much faster than us. Follow what your visions tell you. Protect the girl. If you wish to know more about your past, you should go with her to see Lowina. Gillian, experiment with your magic. You’re going to need a basic understanding before your teachers will be able to instruct you further. And you're right, Lowina is where you think she is. She’ll be waiting for you there.”

“Now you need to go. Tonight.” Ikarus said quickly. “The Skraphl will return to search the area later tonight. We will distract them and keep them off your path for as long as we can. Travel quickly until morning. Skraphl don’t come out during the day.”

Gillian and Tegan stood dazed and confused. Ikarus hugged them both and then ran off into the trees.

“Tell Lowina I’m sorry I didn’t do better!” And then they were all gone. Tegan and Gill stood silently until the howling faded.

“Well,” Tegan said. “I guess we’d better get going.”

© Copyright 2015 RandomnessRan (randomnessran at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040680-The-Elven-Ch-2