*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040960-The-Killer-Rose-pt-2
by Arlene
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #2040960
Second part of my book.
Chapter 6



I wake with the sun streaming through the window, a happy feeling and Valentine speaking in the next room.

‘Who’s he talking to?’ I think to myself.

I get out of bed and throw on the nearest clothes I can find. Val’s light blue t-shirt and my green shorts. I go into the living room to find out who Val has invited into my flat.

I find Val cooking bacon at my cooker and talking into his phone.

“It’s the usual type of job. Unusual amount of them though, which is why I want you to come with me.” He says, not realising I’m standing by the doorway. “Yeah, that’s right. Five of them. Yeah I know that’s strange.”

He turns round to add the bacon to the plates and notices me. Val grins so wide that I can see the dimple in his left cheek.

“I have to go. Pick me up at ten p.m.” He says, then hangs up the phone.

“Who was that?” I ask. “Sorry, none of my business.”

“Just a work colleague. I get him to help if a job needs more than one person and vice versa.” He replies, still smiling.

“Why didn’t you ask me?”

He brings the breakfasts to the table before answering me.

“You’re not trained for our sector.”

“You keep saying we work in different sectors. Yet we do the same job?”

“We do the same type of job but we have different skill sets.” He replies, not looking me in the eye.

“Are you trying to say I’m not as good as you?” I say, sharply.

“No! Not at all! It’s just different skill sets. That’s all.”

We eat our breakfasts in silence then I clean up.

“I need to head home for some things. I’ll come straight back though. Ok?” Val says.

“No need. I’m going to have a shower and do some work and I’ve got a couple of calls to return.” I reply.

“Work or work?” He asks, emphasising the second ‘work’.

“Does it matter?”

“It does if you mean you have a target. Those stitches haven’t healed yet.”

“Calm down. Firstly, I meant journalism and secondly, even if I did have a target, that would be my business.”

“I’m the one who would have to patch you up again if you tore those damn stitches! Remember?”

“Oh, well, forgive me for risking your precious time.” I reply, raising my voice.

“Screw wasting my time! I don’t particularly want to find you bleeding to death again!” He screams back at me.

“I wasn’t bleeding to death! I didn’t lose enough blood for that!”

“How the fuck would you know? You fell unconscious!”

“It doesn’t matter! It’s my life and I’ll do what I want!”

“So, I don’t get a say? I don’t get to tell you if I don’t think you should do something?”

“You can ask me not to do something, but it’s up to me.” I say, my voice returning to normal volume.

“I thought we had something here?” He asks, quietly.

“We have the start of something. Having sex a few times does not mean you can tell me what to do though.”

“Sex? So, we just had sex? I’m sorry. I mistakenly believed we made love. Obviously not.”

“Don’t do that! Don’t take what I say and twist it.”

“Well that’s what you meant wasn’t it?”

“No! I just meant that I’m not gonna become one of those women who do everything the man says. I’m not stupid, ok? I’m not gonna do any work until the stitches heal.”

“Ok.” He says quietly. “I have to go pick some bits up. I’ll see you later,”

He gives me a quick kiss and then leaves. I go for a shower and get dressed in a blood red camisole top, black jeans and matching red lace bra and thong.

I decide to go to the market to get some more fruit for smoothies. I love smoothies. I put my black sketchers trainers on, grab my headphones, put my music on then head downstairs past Fred.

I decide to jog gently whilst listening to Example. My stitches don’t pull too much so I speed up just a little bit. As I come to the market I pull out one earpiece and buy some strawberries, bananas, grapes and oranges.

I decide to walk back but as I round the corner I see Valentine. He’s with a skinny Blonde woman with big breasts and they seem to be very friendly. She reaches up and wraps her hands round his neck. He smiles down at her and then they kiss. I feel like my heart is being ripped out piece by piece. They break apart and walk off down the street holding hands.

I can barely see through the tears that are welling up in my eyes. I run all the way home. When I get inside my flat I collapse to the floor and cry.

A little while later I get up and notice that I’ve ripped the stitches and bled through my top. Guess it’s a good thing I chose a blood red one. I strip my top off and go into the bathroom to patch it up as best I can. As I pull on a black t-shirt my intercom buzzes.

“Hello?” I say into it.

“There’s a Mr Swift here to see you, Miss Roberts.” Says Fred from the other end.

“Tell him I’m busy.”

“Yes Ma’am.”

I go into the kitchen and make myself a strawberry, banana and ice cream smoothie. As I turn round Val is standing in my bedroom doorway and I drop my glass startled.

“Shit!” I say, looking at the glass. “What do you want?”

“I told you I’d be back when I’d picked some bits up.” Val says. “Why didn’t you tell Fred to let me in?”

“I didn’t want to see you.” I reply, bending down to clear up the glass.

“Why? What have I done wrong?” He laughs.

“Why don’t you go and ask the Barbie blonde you were with earlier? Maybe she knows.”

“It’s not what you think.” He says, walking towards me.

“Oh? So you weren’t making out with her then?” I ask, sarcastically.

“Yes. No! I mean…”He stutters.

“Just go. Get out!” I yell.

“Please, just give me a minute to explain.”

“No! I don’t need explanations!” I shout. “If you just wanted a bit of fun, you should’ve just said so.”

“I didn’t just want fun with you. Please just let me explain!” He says, desperately, grabbing hold of my hands.

“Just go, will you? Just go away!”

“Please…”

“No! Get out! Now!” I tell him, sternly.

His face falls and he lets go of my hands. He walks toward the front door.

“When you’re ready to listen, give me a call.” He says, so sadly I almost tell him not to go.

I don’t tell him though. I just stand there and watch him leave. When he’s gone I clean the floor and make myself a new smoothie. I sit at my computer and type my news story. I do some housework and read. I order a pizza whilst I watch Criminal Minds. After I’ve eaten I head to bed still fighting the urge to call Valentine.















Chapter 7



Bang! Bang! Bang!

I jerk awake as the banging on my front door continues. I look at my clock and see it’s 2am. I get out of bed and put on my night shirt (a blue pinstriped men’s shirt I ‘accidently’ forgot to return to an overweight ex) which covers me down to my knees. I grab my gun and head to my door. I look through my peephole and see a stranger standing there propping up Valentine.

I open the door, gun still in my hand.

“Who are you?” I ask the stranger.

He has shoulder length blonde hair, piercing blue eyes. He’s wearing black leather trousers, a black silk shirt and a blood red leather duster. He looks like a Greek god come to life.

“I’m Cadeyrn. I work with Valentine sometimes. Things went wrong and he’s hurt. He told me to bring him here. Can I come in?” The stranger replies.

I realise Valentine has blood all over the front of his t-shirt. I put my gun on the kitchen counter as I go to get a bowl of warm water.

“Put him on my bed through there.” I say as I go.

“You need to invite me in.” Cadeyrn says still standing in the hallway outside the door.

“What are you, a vampire? Of course you can come in. Move it!” I reply impatiently.

Cadeyrn helps Val through to the bed as I follow. I get a couple of towels and my sewing kit from the bathroom.  I go into the bedroom just as Cadeyrn finishes stripping off Val’s shirt.

“Holy shit! What the fuck happened? Did someone try to gut him?” I say shocked as I see the wound.

Val has been cut open from throat to navel. The wound is ragged like something tore him open. There is so much blood that all I can see is red.

“I will stay in the other room while you help him.” Cadeyrn says, walking to the door.

“I don’t think I can help him. He needs a hospital now!”

“He cannot go to a hospital. They will ask too many questions.”

“I can’t help him! If he doesn’t go to hospital he’ll die!”

“No. He will not. Just stitch him up and he will be fine.” Cadeyrn says walking closer to me.

“I can’t just stitch this up! I’m not a fucking surgeon! I’m calling an ambulance right now!” I scream at him.

Suddenly, Cadeyrn pins me to the wall by my throat. I can’t breathe.

“No hospitals! I only brought him here as he said you would look after him. So look after him. Stitch him up and he will be fine.” He all but growls at me.

I kick him in the left leg and punch him in the ribs. Normally, this would put even the toughest guy down but he barely even flinches.

“Do. We. Understand. Each. Other?” He says slowly.

“Yes.” I just about manage to say.

“Good. I will be in the other room. Let me know when you’re finished. Oh and little girl? Don’t try anything.” He says as he walks out of the door.

I stand there bent over just trying to catch my breath for a minute then head over to Valentine.

“Don’t worry I’m gonna get you help.” I say as I inspect the wound.

Suddenly Val grabs my sleeve pulling me down.

“No hospitals! I’d rather die. Just do what Cadeyrn said. I’ll be fine, I promise. Trust me.” He croaks into my ear.

I stare into his eyes and realise he’s serious. He really would rather die than go to a hospital. I can’t say I blame him though. Hospital means questions, questions mean the truth, the truth means jail. I’d rather die than go to jail.

I kiss him goodbye then start stitching him up. It takes me about an hour to do then I clean him up. I head into the living room as I can’t bear to watch him take his final breath.

“I’m done so you can go. Now!” I say to Cadeyrn.

“I am not going anywhere until Valentine recovers.” He says staring out of my window.

“He’s not going to. Don’t you get that? He’s too injured. I’ve injured people less than that and they’ve died. He’s going to die.” I say as the tears I’d been holding in start to fall.

“He will not. He will be fine. Believe me. It will take more than that to kill our Valentine.” He replies quietly.

“Whatever you need to believe.” I whisper as I head to my fridge and pull out the Smirnoff bottle I have there and the cans of red bull. I make myself a very large vodka and red bull and sit on my couch. The pastel pink couch seems completely out of place at the moment. All I can think is it’s not red.

“I will need to close your blinds while I am here I cannot be in the sunlight.” Cadeyrn says.

“You really are a vampire aren’t you?” I laugh.

“Yes I am.” He answers completely deadpan. “I am an ancient Celtic warrior who was turned against my will.”

“Oh you’re good. If vampires were real I would’ve believed you.” I smile.

“Yes maybe you would. I am sorry for hurting you earlier. I was just concerned about a friend.”

“You didn’t hurt me. You’re just lucky I didn’t have my gun.”

“Should you be drinking with the pain medication you must be taking?”

“How do you know I’m on pain meds?” I ask suspiciously.

“Valentine told me.”

“No, no he wouldn’t do that.” I say, standing up.

“Well I am a vampire. Maybe I smell the blood.” He says with a half-smile.

“Yeah maybe.” I say, slowly stepping over to where I left my gun.

“It’s not there anymore.”

“What isn’t?”

“Your gun.” He replies, suddenly standing right behind me.

“I don’t know what you mean.” I said, my heartbeat speeding up.

“I can smell your fear little one.” He whispers along my neck.

I turn, bringing the bottle of vodka down on Cadeyrn’s head then start to run to the front door. Suddenly Cadeyrn grabs me round the waist, spins me and pins me to the wall by the tops of my arms. I go to kick him but he just moves in and leans on me between my legs. I can’t get my feet to reach him so I can’t kick him.

“You smell so good when you are scared and attempting to flee.” He says. “Almost good enough to eat.”

Then his eyes start to glow red and his teeth…

‘His teeth are growing!’ I think.

“My god. You really are a vampire.” I whisper.

“Yes I am and I am hungry. The smell of your blood from your injuries is intoxicating.”

He scrapes my neck with his fangs. My pulse jumps so hard I think it’s going to jump straight into his mouth.

“Don’t. Please.” I whisper.

He licks up my neck and I shiver. I can’t even be sure if it’s fear or worse, lust.

“Do not worry. It will not hurt. In fact, thanks to pheromones, you will beg me to bite you soon enough.”

The scary thing is, he’s right. His hold on my arms has shifted from pain to pleasure. My pussy is wet and getter wetter by the second.

“I don’t care what my hormones are doing. I don’t want to die. I don’t want you to bite me. Please, don’t bite me.” I say.

Suddenly I’m standing on my own and Cadeyrn is standing across the room from me. I take a minute to decide if I’m going to stay or try to run again.

“Is Val like you too?” I ask.

“Not like me, no.”

“Not like you but not human either?”

“You will have to ask him.”

“Are you going to bite me?”

“When you ask me to.” He says with a smile, showing the tips of his fangs.

“Never gonna happen.”

“You can lie to yourself if you want but do not lie to me.”

Looking into his still red eyes I start to think he might be right.

“I’m going back in there with Val. Try anything on me again and I’ll stake you.” I say walking past him. He just laughs then starts shutting my blinds.

I enter the bedroom and just look at Valentine lying there. I can’t believe any of this. Vampires are real! The man lying in my bed, the man I’ve slept with isn’t human. He’s lied to me for eight years! I thought I could trust him but I can’t.

I go over to my wardrobe and pull on a black t-shirt, black jeans, and grab a pair of trainers. I go over to the window, open it and climb outside. I slowly walk along the ledge until I get to the window that leads into the main hallway of the building. I pry it open and go in the hallway. I put on my trainers and walk down the hall, down the stairs and out the main entrance. As soon as I’m outside I just run, as far away from my flat as possible. It’s time to burn this life and start again. I head towards a storage building I rent to get my weapons, new I. D’s and money.

‘I’ll go somewhere tropical. With lots of sunlight. Bora Bora or Hawaii or somewhere.’ I think. ‘Yeah, that sounds like a plan.”

I get to the storage unit and grab a duffel bag. I put two nine mils, a large knife and a new passport under the name of Rose Patricks and a brand new iPhone in the bag. I take the battery and sim out of my phone and crush them under my heel. 

Time to find a hotel. To staying until I can get a flight out. No more private jet unfortunately.















































Chapter 8



A few days later I’m all packed and I’ve closed down my bank account, taking all the money out. I head into the bathroom to put in my new contact lenses. I’ve dyed my vibrant red hair to a dull brown and I’m going to have brown contact lenses to cover my blue eyes. I lean in to put in the contacts and then jump back with a yelp as a cockroach runs across the mirror. I shudder in disgust. Damn, I hate living in places like this run down flea ridden b and b but when you’re hiding there’s nothing else to do.

I head out of the bathroom and see a shadow leaning over my bed. I pull my gun and aim it at the man’s head. He just turns to stare at me.

“How’d you find me Valentine?” I ground out.

“It’s actually really easy to find you Rose.”

“What do you want?”

“To talk. To explain.” He replies just staring into my eyes.

“Explain what exactly? Why you didn’t tell me vampires existed? Or maybe that you never told me what you are?”

“I would’ve explained if you hadn’t run away! Where were you going to go?!”

“Go to hell Val! I’m not interested anymore!”

“Ha! You have no idea how ironic that is.” He laughs. “Put the gun down. Take the contacts out and I’ll tell you everything.”

“I’m not putting the gun down!”

“Then shoot me! Go on!”

I growl and put the gun back in its holster and go to grab my bag from the bed. Val grabs me and pushes me into the wall pinning me there by the top of my arms. He leans in close and just stares at me clenching his jaw like he wants to scream but is trying to hold it in. He might be pinning me to the wall put he isn’t hurting me.

“Let me go! You’re hurting me!” I yell.

“Liar.” He whispers.

“Eight years we’ve known each other. Eight fucking years! You never told me any of it! You got pissed at me for not telling you my real name but you won’t even tell me what species you are!”

“Let’s go back to yours and we can talk. Please.”

“No! I’m not interested. Just let me go!”

“Rose, please, just let me explain and if you want to run away after then I’ll let you go.”

“You swear?”

“Yes.”

“Okay. Cadeyrn isn’t still there though is he?”

“No. He’s still recovering from the ass kicking I gave him for scaring you off.”

I give a little half laugh as he grabs my bag. We walk to his car in the car park. It’s a black Camaro SS that he had imported from America. It’s one of the new ones and I remember he only got it after I said American muscle cars really turn me on. He looked so disappointed when I said I preferred the old ones more than the new. I get into the passenger side with a sigh and use his rear view mirror to take the contacts out.

I’m so nervous and worried. What could he possibly be? What if this is a trick and he just plans on taking me out so I can’t tell everyone creatures exist? I shake my head sadly at the fact that I just can’t trust him anymore.

He gets into the car and turns on the engine. He looks over to me and gives me a reassuring smile.

“It’s okay, Rose, everything’s okay.”

“I don’t think it will ever be okay again.” I reply sadly.

“Why not?”

“Because I can’t trust you anymore.” I reply sadly, tears leaking down my face.

“Rose, Baby, don’t cry.”

He reaches towards my face and looks hurt when I flinch away. He gently wipes my tears away and runs his fingers through my hair. Tears are still running down my cheeks and he leans towards me and kisses them away lovingly.

“Don’t.”  I gasp.

He just stares into my eyes with those chocolate brown eyes that match his shaggy hair. It’s the stare that feels like he’s examining my entire soul.  He runs his thumb over my bottom lip and I part my lips, breathing speeding up. He leans down further and places a butterfly light kiss on my lips. I moan and kiss him back. He growls and the kiss deepens. He begins ravishing my mouth with his tongue like he’s trying to memorise my taste.

“No!” I gasp, pulling back.

“You’re right. I’m sorry.”

He sits back breathing raggedly. Once he’s calmed down he pulls out of the parking lot and drives to my apartment.



When we walk into my flat I look around. The place is spotless. I walk into the bedroom. The bed has been remade and the bloody bedding has been replaced. I look round to Val who’s just standing by the front door like he’s expecting me to make a run for it.

“You cleaned up?” I ask.

“No. Cadeyrn did it while I was healing. Vampires don‘t sleep so he had time on his hands. Plus he hates being idle.”

“Oh.”

I head to my desk and pull out the bottle of whisky from the draw. I take a swig straight from the bottle. Something tells me I’ll need it. I sit on my sofa and motion for Valentine to sit in the chair opposite me.

“So? Talk.” I say, taking another swig.

“It’s complicated. I’m trying to think where to start.”

“Well, my flight leaves in two hours so you’ve got one.”

“What do you want to know first?” He says finally.

“What are you?”

“A demon.”

“A demon?! Yeah, right.”

He sighs and stands up. He begins glowing blue. I’m too stunned to do or say anything. The blue light fades and in his face is standing a scary looking creature. He’s eight feet tall with white hair, blue skin with white glowing veins, bright red eyes and pure black wings. He looks like he’s wearing black leather but on closer inspection I realise it’s actually black reptilian scales.

I’m completely stunned. Stuck between absolute terror and over powering awe. Then I realise something…

“Oh my… I slept with a demon! I’m going to hell. I mean I always figured I’d be going to hell but I thought it’d be coz of the people I’ve killed not coz I became some demons whore!”

I start having a panic attack. I can’t breathe. Suddenly there’s a flash of light and Valentine is standing there again. He rushes over to me but I freak out jumping behind the couch. I run for the door but Valentine is suddenly standing in the way. He grabs me by the arms and gives me a light shake.

“Firstly, you’re not a whore and I will kill anyone who says otherwise. Secondly, you’re not going to hell. Ever. Thirdly, calm down so I can explain.”

He leads me over to the couch and sits me down. He sits next to me.

“Yes I’m a demon but no, I’m not evil. You see in real life demons are neutral. We can choose to be good or evil just like humans.”

“So you’re a good demon?”

“Yes. I’m a demon prince, high level.”

“What does high level mean?”

“High level means I have a human and demon body. Lower level demons only have a demon body.”

“Okay. Wait, did you say you were a prince?”

“Yes. There’s a demon royal family and I’m the prince.”

“What about demonic possession? What kind of demons are they?”

“Demonic possessions aren’t actually demons. You see demons are the guardians of hell. We make sure the souls of evil people are punished for eternity but sometimes the souls find a way to escape and they possess people.”

“So demonic possession is some evil psycho’s way of trying to be alive again?”

“Yes.”

“So if there’s a hell with demons, does that mean there’s a heaven with angels and god exists? Which god is the real one?”

“Yes angels and heaven exist but as for God or Gods no one knows. I’ve never met a god.”

“How old are you?” I ask with a quizzical frown.

“Three thousand years old.”

“Wow. So, am I doomed to hell when I die?”

“No! You are a good person. It’s not so black and white. Each soul is judged individually but yours is safe.”

“But I kill people for a living.”

“You only kill evil people, you never kill anyone if an innocent could get in the way. Remember a few years back when you refused to kill that guy selling children for paedophile rings?”

“Yeah. I wouldn’t kill him coz he was a single dad and I couldn’t guarantee that his kids wouldn’t be the ones to find the body.”

“That’s right. Instead you followed him gathering all the evidence the police needed to convict him and the ones in the rings. Plus you saved the kids he had in ‘storage’ waiting to be shipped off.”

“So, what about vampires? How do they work?”

“They keep their souls when they are turned so they can choose to be good or evil too.”

“How do they get turned?”

“You’d have to talk to Cadeyrn about all that.”

“Is he going to kill me?”

“No! Firstly, I wouldn’t let him and secondly, he’s a good guy. He’s my best friend and has been with me since he was turned. He helps me hunt down the evil demons and vampires that pop up.”

“The different sector?”

“That’s right.”

“Your phone call that morning was to him, right? You said something about there being five and it being unusual?”

“That’s right. He was on the phone and yes there were five evil vampires in that nest that night which was unusual and then when I was injured there were ten. They seem to be popping up all over the place recently which is weird. There shouldn’t be that many, ever.”

“Will you teach me to fight them?”

“You’re human, it’s too dangerous.”

“If, if, I stick around I need to be able to defend myself. Like it or not you and Cadeyrn have thrust me into this world of yours and there’s no way I can survive it if I don’t know how to fight the creatures that will come after me.”

“She is right, my friend.” Cadeyrn said from the bedroom doorway.

“No!” Val said.

“How did you know we were here?” I asked.

“I traced Valentine’s smell. It clings to this place and you.”

“Shit. We are not training her. I’ll place wards around the building and she knows not to invite people in.”

“She hunts, Valentine. She may only hunt humans but she still needs darkness to do it. In the darkness the evil lives.”

“No! She’ll be safe! I am not training her!” Val shouts standing up.

“If you will not, I will.”

Suddenly Valentine was in full demon form and he threw Cadeyrn into my wall hard enough to leave an imprint. Cadeyrn pushed him back by brandishing a huge broadsword.

“Guys! Guys, stop it!” I yell jumping between them.

I realise too late that Cadeyrn is swinging his sword down right towards where I’ve put my head. I gasp in shock as the blade stops a hairsbreadth away from me. Valentine, back in human form, grabs me from behind and spins me around. He looks all over my head in concern.

“What the hell were you trying to do? Get yourself killed? What the fuck were you thinking?” Val yells shaking me.

Cadeyrn rips me from Valentine’s hands and pushes me behind him.

“You are going to hurt her. Shaking her like that.” Cadeyrn growls at Valentine.

“Of course not! I’d never hurt her!”

“Guys! Guys, stop it please.” I say. “I can’t deal with this anymore.”

“You are going to hurt her if you do not train her to protect herself.” Cadeyrn says quietly.

I start sliding down the wall, I think I’m going into shock, Cadeyrn catches me and carries me into the bedroom. Valentine follows us. I start shaking and my teeth start clashing together.

“Shit. She’s going into shock.” Val says.

“Yes she is.”

Cadeyrn puts my quilt over me but I still can’t stop shivering. Valentine lays down in the bed next to me and wraps me in his arms, sharing body heat. Cadeyrn closes the bedroom door and the blinds on the window. He sits in a chair I keep in my room. I look at him as he begins to keep watch and I realise he really is a nice guy, vampire, whatever. I pull the quilt in front of me back and tap the mattress, inviting him to lay down with us. He glances at Val, who I can feel nod, then comes over and lays down. I finally stop shivering, enveloped in both guys body heat, and I fall asleep.



© Copyright 2015 Arlene (astephens30 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040960-The-Killer-Rose-pt-2