*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040984-theal
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by ricky
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Sci-fi · #2040984
humanity fights to survive in a strange new world.
Theal



prelude



the creation of Theal is complex and is only a small piece in the story of mankind.

          Within several thousand years, after man decided to live off the land, humanity had conquered every inch of land on earth. Through the fierce will to discover and invent the people had conquered the land and water,the atom,and the electron. Through this time the only thing that surpassed the will to explore was the will to communicate. From the printing press to the internet people have built social structures and methods never seen from any other species. Humanities crowning achievement on earth was the internet later to be called 'the line'. After its creation humanity would never be the same.

          The internet on earth had united the world and became the most influential thing in the history of mankind. It founded and destroyed countries, it harrowed peace and insinuated hate. Eventually fully  interactive immersive worlds were created in virtual reality. Worlds of every fashion and appearance where created and the internet had then became a literal place. People had entered these worlds wholly; completely forgoing their physical lives. Their nascent bodies of the few who could afford the 'internet' had been discarded traded for metal and plastic. The third world nations of Russia, New America, and parts of Africa had gone to war with those 'on the line'. They had destroyed the line easily as the 'liners', trapped in their worlds, could not even know they were under attack. The remaining people, it is believed, had escaped the warming planet and colonized the stars. To their surprise every alien race that could be designated intelligent were completely non-sentient. They simply didn't have the 'human touch'. The humans were considered not just ill-minded but dangerous by these beings,and according to historical documents theal was built to escape the combative aliens. It was a Hauntingly beautiful world were humans could spread and colonize.

         The human will to explore, that needing to expand, that saw the  expansion of  western america to the colonization of nearby world was now to be granted in the largest most expansive world ever constructed. The millions of years after have been filled with exploration and the resulting consequences have birthed war peace and the conquest of the very things that man feared the most: isolation.

         











































What darkness brings.



         “The light is out” Sisily snickered.           

         Sisily her sister Timely and the resident priest were walking through the palace garden. The garden as well as the palace were situated on a vast clump of rock dirt and vegetation. these 'masses' filled Theal in every shape and size. The group of people, as well as houses ,plants, and anything else with weight clung to the mass through it's artificial gravity. The Light was the only permanent source of light as well as being  sculpture of the masses.

         “we're are still in the presence of the illuminaries.” Timely said waving generally toward the bio-luminescent creatures buzzing 'above' their head. They come in every color shifting and swarming through the air in the voids.

         “A good rest this is?” the priest asked.

         “Yeah. Wherever you wish.” Timely responded. She was nervous; tomorrow

she was to be crowned for leadership of their vast country of Nevir.  Timely sat on the white grass, the priest also sat after putting down a cloth. Sisily remained standing leaning against a low wall.

         The priest unfolded another cloth. Inside was a sealed silver cup and a sharp blade. 

         “Is that the instrument?” Timely asked pointing toward the blade.

         “It mightn't hurt” Sisily said with a smirk.

         “Affirming  she is,you know.” the priest said completely missing the sarcasm.

         “you have no kind for our ancient ways” Timely softly spoke.

         “'our' ways? Speak for oneself sis.”

         “Now, now, girls.”

         “they were twins, almost indistinguishable. Both had green eyes and blond hair.

         But only one could be royalty. Timely was older by twenty-two pieces: a fact that was exceedingly repeated. Not by Timely herself no she would never use the information to gain ground on her sister. She would never hurt her sister deliberately.

But everyone was quick to use the small difference in age against one or the other. She was forever known as the 'younger sister'.  Now whether or not her jealousy contributed to her behavior or if she was a 'bad seed' was not known but hotly debated among the palace workers.

         “your hand is needed of my presence.” the priest said while grabbing the blade.

         “Yes Timely; time to get bled!”

         “you don't have to rest here” Timely told Sisily.

         “And miss the event. I think not”

         Timely jumped as the priest ran the blade over Timely's hand.

         “Couldn't you've alerted her of your task?” Sisily huffed.

         “,tense she'ld become.” the priest said quickly unlidding

the silver cup.

         “And if I had become of such?” Timely asked.

         “tainted the ritual would become. The priest said letting the blood pour into

his silver cup.

         Immediately the blood began to bubble into a red frothy mass billowing in the cup.

         “This is fallacy there are chemicals in there;  maybe a hydrocarbon or some kind of oxidizer. Sisily said.

         Timely looked at the priest who swirled the blood with a silver spoon. He made a noise. If it was dissatisfaction she didn't know.

         “Quiet sis”

         “okay it is.,” the priest moaned “caught with the modernist movement she is.”



         The surrounding countries, spread over the nearby masses; Had been much like their home country of Nevir: satisfied with their limited technology and so called 'primitive' ways.

         But about 20 yeli-cycles ago people in the region of Isinbar noted metallic ships; big bloated air ships floating through their countries' voids.

         As they would later learn a massive war had cut off an ancient trade route of the ships inhabitants. The route was through a distant corridor. The corridors are large cylindrical spaces 'cut' through the volume of rock allowing linear travel through theal's volume of masses.

         The blimps were almost shot down down by the Isinbars; but supposedly the gunners didn't think it was smart to start a war with a society so obviously advanced as to have conquered flight. When the airships did come to land the inhabitants showed them unbelievable technologies. Many nations traded and acquired the technologies of the so called 'foreigners'.                    

         “Oh my...” the priest held the cup up to timely.”look upon the madness of days to come.”

         “look timely I think the priest actually thinks true of this stuff”

         “He does rightfully...

“beware of night; of darkness;as the light shall be exhausted indefinitely. The priest warned.

         Sisily had rolled her eyes then. But she couldn't help but feel haunted by the faces the priest made. He did believe what he had spoken. And he had meant what he had said and he was shocked by the bleeding ritual. Sisily had seen his old face contorted in fear and that would haunt her for the rest of her life.

~

         The illuminaries had gone; flown off; plunging Nevir into darkness. The Light was still out.

         Intoli ran through the palace halls his steps echoing of stone obstacles. 

         “Father, father.”

         “What, what is it you want? Im busy.” And Intoli could see he indeed was busy, lighting the gas powered lights attached to the walls.

         “Surely  a worker would be far more suitable for that task?” Intoli told his father, Shamir.

         “your never too royal to do a job yourself”

         A network of methane filled pipes connect to lighters and heaters all throughout

the castle and Nevir as a whole. Nevir was an “equal earning state” every one who payed taxes received the essentials,food, water,etc..  Enough for a per-cycle; if one wanted more as is usually the case, they got a job. Gas was no exception so everyone had pipes reaching into their homes.

         Intolly whispered, “I think we have issues with the crowning tomorrow.”

         “Look I have in mind your concerned with your sister but I assure you....”

         “I think terrorist will have presence here”.

         “Intoli I am aware of your concern but I have insurances for Timily.”

         A worker popped his head out of a doorway.

         “let our presence be in here.” Shamir told his son motioning toward an unoccupied room. Shamir closed the door behind him.

         “Attorin terrorist have presence in the area of blain”

         “Really” Shamir wondered.

         “Yeah. Intolly tilted his head. What's has your mind of concern.”

         “Nothing,It's simply that Sisily will have her presence there.”

         “For what?”

         “just publicity nothing more”

`          “We're trying to get the young the will to vote”

         “Really that surprises me.”

         “You really have in mind that Nevir is opposing the movement.” Shamir said.

         the modernest movement has swept throughout the local countries. Its the technologies but even more potent was the materialist type of thinking. Its the young who have fueled the new happening taken to the new technologies And now in Blain the

voting age as dropped to 28 yeli-cycles. Suddenly the modernist movement has more of a voice.

         Sisily only being 35 yeli-cycles old was a great motivator for 'the young'.

         “Well Nevir has never brought positivity on the movement.

         Ignoring the last statement Shamir moved on. “Now, Intolly,I know want to have royal title. But you must have in mind that woman are chief in Nevir.

          Intolly passed his hand over his hair. Like his sisters he had white-blond hair but unlike Sisily and Timely he had blue eyes. The family shared roundish faces and pronounced chins below. They were skinny not weak, but thin.  They come from a long line of strong able-bodied workers who married into the palace 12 generations ago. But they were strong willed as well, which had plunged them into fierce debates. Timely was the odd one out. No one knew where her timidness come from.

         “maybe in few days you'll uncover a princess.. we'll have a few local royalties in our presence at the affair after the crowning. Or maybe you can rule one of our Annexes you have mind, far into the global z.”  The rough sphere of 'occupied space', the portion of Theal's masses that are colonized,known locally as the federation, is expanding as explorers reach new ground. Currently Nevir's great explorer Thunarin's Al has annexed a portion of Theal, a cold forest covered mass just off one of the Corridors, in the name of Nevir.

         Coordinates in Theal are measured by your frame of reference, they use the x,y,z coordinates. The x-axis is forward and back while the y-axis is left and right. The z-axis is up and down and when in 'local' space refers to up and down considering the altitude above local mass. Global space is measured from the nearest Light. The palace is “upside down” on it's mass and is globally z positive from the Light.  So if your in the palace and using local space the light is in the positive z. The annexed region Shamir was speaking about,who would most likely be named after its discoverer, is in the negative z direction slightly offset from x and y. Every location in theal has a three number vector. In global space the Light is at the origin and is <0,0,0> the palace is <.4,.2,10.4> as you can see it isn't offset far from the x and y. Coordinates are measured 10 paces for each whole unit. The forest of  Al is about <1.2,9.5,121>*10^6 the first three numbers are the coordinates with a distance times 100,000, which is a coordinate of about <1200000,95000000,100000000>. as you can see it is quit a long ways away(its 13170000000 paces or about 40,000 miles)..

         The trouble about colonizing these far flung spaces is that sometimes there are natives(even though most of Theal is completely unpopulated).

In the case of the annexed land strange furred creatures that lived in wooden homes built within the trees.

         Theal was “constructed” 50 million earth years ago. Huge groups of humanity entered Theal at random places. There are thousand of societies, each a feeble sphere extending boldly into unseen frontiers completely oblivious of one another. Each a spark of humanity exploding with the vital need to survive,no to flourish , against all odds. Sometimes two spheres are close enough to merge together. Two human societies brought together after millions of years of separation, a moment of unbridled awe that for good or bad rocks the inhabitants to their very core. The Nivens didn't realize it but their explorers were at the 'shores' of a now totally foreign race of humanity.

  “When citizens have presence there they will need order.” “You can be that leader Intolly.” Intolly reeled as he could envision the distant forest engulfed masses burning in hellfire combat in the name of Nevir. 'No thank you' Intolly thought.

         “My fear is not of that subject” Intolly said as he tried flushing the image out of his head, “its just that timely is so very trusting; and now I contracted that she will be in the presence of the land folk one by one.'.

         “Yes” Shamir began, Timely has in mind that she needs to hear everyone's good deeds in effect to give to the lords of creation.” Shamir shifted his weight uneasily.

         “Really father you don't believe the matter, do you?”

         “Of coarse I do. When ever the light dies we pray and when holy communion is acheived...”

         “The light came on, yes I have that captured in my mind..” Intolly said “But I don't think it's on the gods whim”

         “Then what is your solution?”

         “Well,father,” Intolly said tilting his head again. “Its... There's a tech, really the base of technology, called electricity. It's basically a force, a force to accomplish task . And it has motility only through thin metal cords. It has an affinity to metal. And if you can have it in mind its comparability to water flowing through a pipe. If there is a fissure in the metal the Light goes out, and when connected the light comes on.

         “So...” Shamir trailed off confused”.

          “So... if the 'pipe' is only slightly fissured or barely connected the electricity is intermittent...the light goes off and on Randomly.

         “Randomly! How about... Maybe the gods connect the antimonial bridges when we're good and disconnect them when we're...

         “your mind is not grasping the subject, father.”

         “Just make sure you have her in sight and mind.. Intolly put his hand on his fathers shoulders. “Okay?” 

         “she'll be fine. Now go to slubmer. The illuminaries are gone; sleep while possible.

~

Timely was nervous. The Light was still out. Its been out two and a half cycles now. But the illuminaries were back. At the moment they were shining in the brilliant hues of blue and peach. Blue and softer peach shadows shifted outside the castles main platform. The citizans were Spread out everywhere waiting for the crowning. They were situated in palace's main courtyard and several near by masses and even underneath the castle on the other side of local mass, they wouldn't be able to see the crowning but at least they could say they were there. there were thousands of Nevir's citizens;they chanted and clapped ready for timily's crowning.

         Timely was inside the platform's wings too scared to go to the crowed.

         “They're gonna have mind of fury.” Timely cried

         “That Lights been extinguished in pretense, has been for long'cycles.”  Sisily said.

         “But never whilst a crowning” Timely said tears rolling down her face.

         “Can I have presence within?” Intolly asked through the wooden door.

         “Yeah she's dressed.” Timely wore a white dress with intricate floral designs.

         Sisely wore the same and Intolly wore a general's attire adorned with medals. They will not be seen at the crowning but will be present for the party after.

         Intolly opened the door and stepped in, then sitting close to his sisters.

         “Come now sister everything will chalk up positvie” that sounded like something a caring sister would say Sisily thought.

         “No It won't. You saw the bleeding episode. My blood boiled,boiled.” Timely said crying more fiercely.

         “You can't have that in honesty” Sisily said looking back at the workers who were plastered against the stone wall. They were inevitably there; they're always near. “Which one of you summoned the bleeding rite.”

         “Sis its tradition they did it with mom, and grandma, for eras.”

         “damn the episode. They startled the gallant of you....for no good reason.”

         “Come now,” Intolly said, “It's of time they're waiting. You'll be princess now and it's of frankness your responsibility.

         Timely nodded softly.

         “Your making her tense,Intolly” Sisily said.

         “like you ever had her of positive mind!” Intolly sharply snapped back.

         “Okay,okay. I'll leave presence.” Timely said wiping her tears away.

         “wait I have to refashion your makeup”

         “No, I need to have their presence now.”

         “have presence for your people. Make us proud.”

         “I will... try.” another tear was brushed aside.

         Intolly grabbed her by the arms and spun her toward him.

         “No, vocalize it, 'I'll have presence for my people.'”

         “I will” she said after a pause of shock.”

         “Intolly shook her violently”

         What are you commiting Intolly? Sisily said thrusting her face in front of Intolly's.

         “I will... I promise”Timely said with a little more sureness.

         He shook her again. Tilting his head he roared. “bullshit. Vocalize it; vocalize 'I'll have presence for my people'.”

         Timely pulled her arms lose and pushed Intolly to the ground. Who as hard as he could couldn't keep from laughing.

         “I will have presence for my people, today and for eras” Timely shouted surprising herself.

         “Damn strait” Intolly said picking himself of the the floor.

          Timely held her head up and marched toward the platform.
© Copyright 2015 ricky (ricky312 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2040984-theal