*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044400-3-Weeks
by Jimbo
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2044400
Joshua finds some strange things in his dreams
First of all im sorry for my english. Im not a native speaker and hopefully everybody understands what I'm trying to say.
This is my first short story and I would appreciate some feedback.
But enough of that... Let the story begin.

I don't now where to start... In fact I don't even know if this is all real or I'm just loosing it, loosing my connection to sanity.

I'm sitting in a well lit diner by now its 3am and its my sixt or seventh coffee by now. I'm afraid of falling asleep again... Of getting to this nightmarish place again.
But lets start from the beginning. My name is Joshua. Joshua Bretford. I was a pretty normal in every meaning. No great job, no girlfriend, nothing. I was alone and liked it that way. It's not that I hate people or something I just like being by my self. I don't know if you can understand this but at this point (my apologies for that) I don't care.
It all went more or less the way I wanted l. I got enough money to life my life, a apartment for rent in a city which is not to big, a car, all the stuff you need to be ok with you and the world. But since three weeks or something I want fall asleep anymore. It gets worse every god damn time I drift away.
At first I didn't realized I was asleep. I thought I was awake.. I was in my bed and heard a strange noise from the bathroom.
First I thought: The heck I don't care. But it didn't stopped. In fact it was getting louder. It was some kind of.... I don't know it's hard to describe.. It sounded like a knock? But that's not the correct description. It was to strange, like a sound to high to hear it was more than something that is only a feeling in a corner of your head. After five minutes I decided I have to take a look. So I made myself some light and got up. The closer I was to the bathroom the more intense was the noise getting. As my hand layed on the doorknob it instantly stopped. I stood still... I stood a whole fucking minute there, a feeling of dread in my stomach but it was over. I don't know what devil rid me but I grabbed the freakin knob and opened the door widely an turned the light switch on. What I saw was my bathroom. Nothing special in there no demons, no witches and not the fucking candy man. I smiled and thought: My god fuck you man, you little sissy. I decided I was just dreaming and there was no weird noise at all. Next thing i wanted was to take a pee and go back to bed. I finished the job washed my hands. Then it happened. I took a look at my self in the mirror and I saw it oh god I fucking saw it! There where hand prints! All over the mirror! I was horrified! I couldn't scream I only stood there dull from terror. As i got my self under control again i took a closer look at the handprints.they where human with one tiny little difference. Middle an ring finger where sprouted together. The only thing I wanted was to wash this creepy shit of my mirror but terror stroke again.. They wouldn't wash of... They couldn't be washed away because they where on the other site of the mirrors glass! I immediately sat screaming in my bed full of cold sweat. A dream I thought frantically only a weird nightmare! Thank god for this. This night my sleeping mood was gone. So I decided to get up early. As the time came to take a shower there was a short feeling of dread as I entered the bathroom but to my relief there was nothing on the mirror and everything was perfectly fine.
This incident was almost forgotten as it hit me again like a hammer blow. Exactly one week later I heard another noise ....This time it came from the living room. Again I woke up from strange faint sound but slightly different then the first night. This time it was a scratching. At first it was at the edge of hearing. It had could been only my imagination but I was sure it was getting louder by the minute. A sound like nails pulled over a chalkboard. It was getting more intense from a slight sound to a clearly heard scratching on glass. The sound changed. From scratching to something like tearing apart fabric. My heart almost stopped working. The only thing I could do was laying in my bed and hear the strange noises. I was terrified above any by my self known level. I was paralyzed. I prayed no, I begged it to stop but the noise was becoming louder by the second until it suddenly stopped.... I couldn't find the courage to take a look a that moment but after what seemed an eternity to me I stood up. I switched all lights on that I could find and made my way to the living room. The first look into the room showed nothing special. I took a look around but everything was in a normal level. My couch was in one corner on the other side the tv. The leftovers of my last meal where on the table. All things where like I left them. I was almost cooled down as I saw something odd. There were footsteps on the floor. Wet ,human footsteps. Dread found its way back to me! It starter from the back of my spine and almost filled my whole body. The footsteps leaded to the middle of the room and then vanished. It took me much effort to follow their trace back but I did..... I wish i hadn't. They headed from the mirror in my hallway straight to the living room. The mirror had scratches on the other side of the glass and a hole straight in the middle. The hole was big enough for something to crawl through. I started screaming. A mindless terrified scream of fear. I woke up. I woke up screaming. I screamed a whole minute until I realized I was in my bed again. And I was awoke. After I finished screaming I started laughing like a mad man. It was a dream! It was a silly childish nightmare! God I felt good. I felt like someone drugged to happiness. And I felt alive for the first time since years. I decided to hold onto that feeling and get up early again. I took my shower. Afterwards I inspected the living room. Nothing! There was nothing! I felt even better now. As I wanted to left for work I casually took a look to the mirror in the hallway. There it hit me! The mirror was scratched and with a hole in the middle. The next thing I know was my neighbor knocking on the door asking me if everything is fine he heard screams like someone was in need of help.
That was last week and today.. Today is the night. BUT! I'm staying awake this time! This time nothing can happen! Night is almost over and here's enough light and coffee to let me stay awake. So I ask my self: "What can go wrong josh?" The answer is NOTHING!

"Sir? Sir are you all right?" Asked a young, red haired female Deputy. She looks a little worried in the Sheriffs direction. "What? Oh yes, yes Jenkins." Sheriff Dunhill lays the fresh found diary on the table with the cold coffee. "And the waitress said, the guy how owns this diary went to the toilet at half past four and never returned?" He asks with a puzzled look on his face. "Jep sheriff that's what she said. Are sure you are all right? You look a little pale..."
Yeah god damn it im fine!" He sais maybe a bit to loud. "Anything you rookies found there?" "Uhm no sir, there's nothing on the toilets, no windows, nothing the guy vanished or is Houdini." She giggles an then goes on. "Only thing we found is some strange looking hand prints on the mirror but we can't take a closer look they seem to be "in" the mirror....."
© Copyright 2015 Jimbo (beanythebrutal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044400-3-Weeks