*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044915-Another-Holiday
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2044915
A child living from one holiday to another

Emily sat at the gigantic Thanksgiving table with a big smile on her face watching everyone. She loved holidays. Holidays meant she wore her dressy clothes and she saw her cousins that she didn’t see during the year. Plus she got to eat Grandma’s home cooked food. And since she was Grandma’s helper, Emily sat next to her.
There was so much food. Turkey, chicken and ham; sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes; corn, string beans, peas and cranberry sauce. Nothing ever ran out. Emily didn’t know how Grandma did it. Everyone’s plate was full but the serving dishes looked as if they hadn’t been touched.
Grandma noticed Emily wasn’t eating. Grandma asked Emily, “Would you like some more turkey?”
“I’ve had enough,” said Emily.
“Would you please put your plate out in the kitchen?” asked Grandma.
Emily did.
Then Grandma asked Emily if she would help her bring the dishes into the kitchen and bring out dessert. Emily started carrying dishes into the kitchen. When the table was cleared they brought out the desserts. There were so many desserts. There was apple, cherry, and pumpkin pie. There was chocolate with ice cream, brownies and cookies. Once all of the desserts were on the table, Emily sat in her seat.
Grandma asked, “What would you like for dessert?”
“I can’t decide,” replied Emily.
“Well, whatever you don’t have now, you can take home with you,” said Grandma. Emily frowned.
“What’s the matter?” asked Grandma.
“Home,” said Emily, “I don’t want to go home, I’m having too much fun here.”
“Oh, don’t you worry Emily,” said Grandma, “Christmas is right around the corner and then you’ll be back.”
Emily’s eyes became big and a smile spread across her face as she began imagining what Christmas would be like.

298 words
© Copyright 2015 Tricia Reich (preich at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2044915-Another-Holiday