*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045448-A-Piece-of-the-Trustlife
by nobody
Rated: E · Poetry · Inspirational · #2045448
A short, calm fairytale about the mutual forest life. An old English high school work.
Yellow air swept around the tops of cone-shaped fruits from a relieved oak, which made the sight on them cloudy. Of course, the islander was used to this but a plan for how to solve it had not yet reached her. Famous on the tree was its wild bark. "The wilder, the easier traveled" as the companion used to say. Now, he was choosing not to say it and the islander seemed to accept it. In fact, it brought some of her thoughts away from their normal track as she constantly set a new, lower, grip to the bark. "Lower" was in this case, as in many other cases in the surroundings of the tree, not necessarily seen as "lower whilst the high top is the goal". Now, "lower" was just forward. But the islander didn't think of it at the moment, she thought about her surroundings: the relaxed looking bunch of branches and brightly coloured leaves that was the head of another branch on the left side of the tree. The branch had a body of leaves too of course but from this point of view the only thing you saw just to the left of an uneven shape, that sprung from the bark a bit farther away on the trunk and covered the sight of anything inner of the branch, was the calm and lively looking outer part of the branch. Straight behind her, was seen the hanging, string-like mixture of resin, cobweb and rolled leaves that was the rest of building material for the shelters of those living on the branch right above. She, naturally, had set a grip to the bark so that she could turn and look out from the bark. The strings participated in her sight far out in the air beneath the above branch. Behind them, showed up the even more distant landscape of tree trunks - other tree trunks. But the islander didn't see them as other trunks similar to her own trunk. It was just tree trunks, and between the trunks, the fusion of even more trunks and crowns of leaves like distant cities seeming still and calm to the inhabitants of the relived oak. The islander looked at the distant fusion of the forest, which was more distant than she knew. It was unexplored regarding her and the companion. But to her, the surroundings were familiar backgrounds that simply always were there as a constant environment rather than new and foreign places.
A rhythm of claws piercing the bark coming from the companion, below, unconsciously made the islander continue the climbing and cancel the absorption of environment for now. The rhythm had been perfectly performed to interrupt the islanders thoughts but with both of them unaware. The silent conversation soon ended and they both just completed the rest of the trip. The companion arrived first, at the intact root of the fruit which was the first real vertical surface to stand on during most of the trip. Though, relieved from this, he started to perform small tricks with his body just after letting out: "The wilder, the easier traveled" as he waited for his friend. She joined him on the root, smiling fresh but mildly. The companion was shorter but steadier and more compact. She used him to stand on and shoot of in a jump upwards the side of the fruit to just manage to set up a pose and grip that held her still up there. She configured her grip to be steadier. It took a while... longer than it used to take. Finally she could grab hold of the companion step by step, lift him higher. He worked with his legs and held her with his arms and finally he was above her, higher up on the fruits leaning side. The islander now only had to push him a bit further up and he could reach the stalk of the fruit which sprung out from the top of it. Soon, the companion was up there and he could stretch the stalk down to a distance from the islander on which she could grab it. When she reached the top, she was blinded by the thick air. She couldn't even see yellow. It was like having smoke blowing straight into your eyes. She closed her eyes and breathed out and in the same moment, as if the air gave up, the yellowness faded and the fog disappeared to reveal the companions friendly eyes.

© Copyright 2015 nobody (everybody at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045448-A-Piece-of-the-Trustlife