*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045499-Meditation---what-are-you-saying-again
Rated: E · Monologue · Spiritual · #2045499
A brief synopsis on my experience with meditation


Marcy L. Shugert


Meditation - what are you saying again?!?


I close my eyes, begin for 20 minutes to let go of the anxiety and restlessness I am feeling, and to harness my energy into something so good that when I open them, I will feel rejuvenated and focused. Meditation, I dare say, has this effect on me. I procrastinate doing it, but once I do, I feel so much better afterwards! I had my smoothie, coffee, water, and crackers with 5-layer dip (don't judge me) by my side, had taken all my supplements, showered, and then carrying my Mala beads, I began.


I am a newbie at meditation, so I have listened to Andy Puddicombe through this app called Headspace; I have been learning how better I can focus and fuel my creativity through it. He is an English bloke (the way they say it) and I didn't like him at all when I started the app. He was too calm! Too tranquil! Too patient! But the more I listened, the more I conceded that he had all the traits I wanted to be.


Look, I love my energetic personality, but sometimes I get too frenetic, always thinking of things to do; starting them, and then I don't know how it happens, but while I am reading - let's say - an article about how to focus I will suddenly think when I reach the third paragraph, "Oooh! I have to put in a load of laundry! And I can't forget to look up this website about writing groups (and I will check out that article which states where the millennial are choosing to live, because maybe I should know that for my current novel). Hmmm, I must not forget to wish these people on my Facebook a happy birthday, and I have to arrange a dinner with my friends in LA, and...and...and..."; i.e., doing other things, never finishing reading more than two pages. Yes, I have a notebook by my at all times, but I am still fidgety. Then the day has disappeared. Does that sound familiar?


I digress. I was thinking how I have to climb Kilimanjaro before I will get published by writing blogs, articles, and short stories. It takes me awhile to write anything, particularly something of substance. However, I thought I might not be the next Edgar Allen Poe, Tom Robbins, or Jojo Moyes but I am me and I have something to say. What does this have to do with meditation? Concentration on the here and now.


While I am meditating, Andy is telling me, with my eyes closed, to breathe in deeply through my nose and exhale smoothly through my mouth. To scan my body all the way down, and all the way up - then concentrate on the bottoms of my feet, then he slowly purrs, "navel...then solar plexus...in-between your eyes...and over your head." And every time I breathe, I notice the thing that is bothering me exhales from my body just a little more. I take the time and I breathe, pray, and ask for mercy. With everything going on around me, this is the time that counts. I have my to-do list, and while it can seem daunting, I have to move forward and just pursue what I can.


Creative people like to dream HUGE, and get easily bored, change there minds frequently. Meditation is my time to take it all in, and exhale the bad parts, so I feel fulfilled, more calm, tranquil, and patient with my creativity.


What?!? Weren't those the words I used to describe Andy? Yes, and now I love him for his soothing voice that envelopes me into a cocoon, and when I emerge, I live my live just a little more gratitude, feeling grateful and appreciative for the life I am living. My heart feels full and the questions I have will be answered in their own time. I am glowing, smiling, and ready for the day.


Thank you, dear Andy. I am ready to begin again.




© Copyright 2015 Marcy Shugert (shuggie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2045499-Meditation---what-are-you-saying-again