*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/204780-Solitaire
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #204780
Ring shopping of a slightly different sort...
"Can I help you?" The shopkeeper looks at her with hopeful eyes as she glances over the collection.

"Well, I'm looking for a solitaire."

The shopkeeper smiles, "Are you shopping for hints?"

"Pardon?" She peers at him, wondering what he's talking about.

"Hints," he repeats, a little slower this time.

"Again, what do you mean by that?" This time she's getting a little more frustrated.

"Well, if you are looking for a diamond ring, aren't you looking for your significant other to buy it for you?" He looks at her, slightly dumbfounded by her stupidity.

"Oh no, I'm not getting married, I'm just looking for a solitaire," she replies matter-of-factly.

"Oh." He walks over to the solitaire counter, and begins pulling out some of the rings.

"I would like something along the lines of a carat and a half to two carats."

He puts away some of the rings he had just gotten out, and pulls some different ones out.

"You know... You can find a man who'll buy these for you eventually," he says, apparently attempting to raise her hopes.

"What?" This time there is clear frustration in her voice.

He stares down at a ring, and hands it to her.

She examines the tag. "No, I want a better stone, and, I would like it in platinum."

He shakes his head and pulls out a platinum ring, with a clear, nearly perfect solitaire in the middle.

"I need this in size 8." She touches the ring a bit wistfully. "Yes, this one will do."

"It will have to be resized," he says.

She nods and smiles at the ring.

"How will you be paying for this?"

She pulls out her credit card, platinum just like the ring, and hands it to him.
© Copyright 2001 SilverSphere (silversphere at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/204780-Solitaire