*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2050302-Deus-Ex-Machina
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #2050302
Flash Fiction
It was always in the morning, before work, that I would take a detour into St Martin's Parish Church. It had become routine, like my sunrise jog or the purchase of the telegraph. I had been there every morning for the past sixty days. Yet it still felt absurd when I looked at the cross, closed my eyes and tried to pray.

I work in the oil industry. When you do that the world isnât six thousand years old and it wasnât made in six days. Everything is rational. Everything is measurable. Everything can be hypothesized and falsified yet here I was, 8am, every day, praying to a supernatural God. Itâs idiotic, itâs irrational, itâs wishful thinking but I needed to know: Why? Why did it come to this?
When Maggie died there was nothing else. I needed a reason. We were married for just two years, together for six. Why did she die of difficulties in child birth? Why was the most joyous decision we ever made as a couple the decision that killed her?

© Copyright 2015 Philip S. Brown (philip.s.brown at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2050302-Deus-Ex-Machina