*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2054509-Untitled
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #2054509
Today Nick faces the biggest day of his life. Is he ready for it? (Not finished)
Today was voting day.
Nick thought to himself as woke up. Feelings of nervousness and fear filled his mind. His mother and father were probably already up, he doubted that they would have gotten much sleep the night before. In fact, he himself was surprised as to how well he had fallen asleep. Nick quietly got out if bed and peered out of his door. Like all voting days a sense of dread seemed to overcome everybody in the town. As he walked down he predicted the scene that would be layer out in front of him. His father, an older man nearing 50, smoking on his pipe with his black hair combed backwards. His mother sitting in the kitchen with a serious look on her normally cheerful face.
Entering the room he saw he was right. As he Took the last step into the kitchen a loud creak sounded under his feet and both his parents looked towards him. His father etched with a permanent look of seriousness unto his face and a hint of worry. Although his mother tried to be brave he could tell that she was mere moments from bursting into tears. A small moment of silence quickly filled the room as each person was waiting for someone to act.
"Nick are you ready" Nick's Father said breaking the silence
"I don't think being ready will help me at this point" he responded
"I know how upsetting this must be for you but you have to realize that we all have to go through this once it's over this all becomes a massive weight off your shoulders"
"It's shouldn't be on my shoulders to begin with"
"Nick this isn't any easier for us either" Nick's mom interjected, "you are my only Son"
Tears were forming in the corners of her eyes. He didn't want to push her anymore.
He looked down. He thought that he had prepared for this day but he couldn't be any less prepared. He looked up at his parents and opened up his arms.
The three were stuck in a long lasting embrace that seemed to last an eternity.
"Nick no matter what happens just remember we love you very much"
Nick's father spoke.
"Okay I'm ready let's go" he responded.
The three gathered their things and quickly left
"Are you sure you don't want something to eat quickly before we leave?" Nick's mom asked.
"With everything going on right now If I did eat anything I think I would throw it back up." Nick responded.
Upending up the door the three began the walk to the centre of the town.
The streets were long roads made up of cobblestone with concrete on the sides serving as sidewalks. Random walls jutted out of the ground proclaiming the government news and info posters. The houses themselves were each identical. Two story houses with a front door in the centre of two windows and two windows above it. Each lot was exactly 15 meters by 25 meters. Given the size of the road that meant that there was about 10 houses on Gold street before it turned and became Rose avenue. This area was relatively new as the new law dictated that everyone must have an equally sized house.
The centre was only about a half an hour walk away from the centre. Off to the side he could see the faint shape of the posters on the wall postings. As he got closer he was able to make out the signs. A small ones decreed the newly banning of the colour green while a slightly larger one to the corner showed the picture of a group of people holding hands together around a drawing of the village square. In big block letters it was written "FOR THE PEOPLE" and below "BY THE PEOPLE"l however the biggest one in the centre was a drawing of the mayor pointing a crooked figure forward. Underneath him read "Remember to choose wisely". This poster was new. Because before were all the choice posters. Nick tried remembering some of them. "Sandra Hollman is a crack smoking whore, is she the one we want? Remember choose wisely" and another one stated that "Shane Boste is a degenerate who will fail the most simple of tasks, is he the one we want? Remember choose wisely"
© Copyright 2015 TheStudent (gregoriolopez at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2054509-Untitled