*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2054654-Enthralled
Rated: E · Fiction · Writing · #2054654
Just a little jotting!

The air was thin, though a building pressure seemed to encompass the small chamber. Darkness encircled the two occupants, dominating and cold. Was it night? Time had escaped, the growing chill suggested it was so but with little else to go on the thought was pushed aside.

"Let me out."

The voice was familiar, low, proud, confident. The simple statement was almost a growl, though there was no menace offered.

"I know what to do, let me free."

Spoken again, this time with a calm reassurance. A faint clicking could be heard, like tipped nails padding across stone. Pacing. The space within the dark chamber was limited and movement was all which kept one of the two occupants sane.
Looking up from the opposite side of the chamber a man peered through the darkness. He was cold, the chill of their surroundings had seeped into him and drawn all warmth from his bare body. Scars littered his frame, some wounds open and fresh; leaking his vital essence onto dirtied skin.

"Lick your wounds all you'd like, you need me."

That low voice rumbled with a sense of disbelief. The man's partner was his opposite, where he had been tattered his counterpart remained intact. Proud. Though now restless. Pacing still within that small chamber with nothing but the faint clicking of his footfalls and his own words to keep him company.

The man remained still, green eyes studying his companion. Drawing his hands along his shoulders a shudder raced through him. Fingertips drew lines along the scars lining his cold limbs. Silence was his only response, slowly lowering his head to rest against his knees.

"Surrender is weakness, is this what you want?"

A low growl rolled forth after this new statement, frustration toward his counterpart. Another glance given, brows held low in uncertain thought. The man chewed the interior of his cheek, how dry his mouth felt.

"You cage me, forget me, then destroy all that we have built. I know what to do- Release me!"

As his words snapped out a spark of ferocity echoed within the darkness. The man's counterpart snarled, his canines flashing as the dark fur of his muzzle pulled back. Frustration was not uncommon to the beast, why his human counterpart chose certain actions had always drawn this forth. This time however, was the first it had dragged on so long.

"You showed weakness, of course this would happen."

No sympathy, only truths were spoken. There was a hint of compassion however, as if luring the man to understand this was necessary. He needed to hear this, needed this to draw the courage forth.

"You surrendered, and to /what/? Fear?"

A low huff sounded as the dark furred beast padded closer to his crumpled human companion.

"You should have known better, now release me and be done with this."

Lifting those green eyes the man stared forward, the elongated muzzle of his companion inches from his face. There was truth in these words. Small clicks of his gaze would study the beast. Strong, proud shoulders loft in the darkness, keen emerald eyes filled with knowledge. Dark fur protected the creature, intact and without blemish. Ears perked and alert, discerning and taking in all that was in their chamber.

Envy began to swirl in the man's chest. The truth of his companions words echoed again and again. He could feel his heart pumping within his cold chest, the thoughts circling his mind as warmth crept within his flesh.

"It is never too late, I /know/ what needs to be done. Now old friend-"

His words were cut from him, the man's arms outstretched and clasped the mane of fur at either side of the beast's great maw.

"We will be free."

The first words from the man came lowly, gently, and following them was an embrace. It was time.
© Copyright 2015 BrokenRealms (brokenrealm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2054654-Enthralled