*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058183-The-Choice
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2058183
There are always casualties in a war...
Word Count: 298 of 300 MAX
Prompt: "You look different"

         The words tumbled out of Reagan’s mouth before she could stop herself. Her breath caught in her throat, afraid of his reaction. Brandon continued to stare out into the night sky, the cup of coffee slowly growing cold in his hand.

         “What does that even mean?”

         “I don’t know.” Reagan put a hand on his shoulder. “It’s just…I don’t know, you look different. I can’t explain it. You’ve only been gone for six months but you aren’t the same.”

         Brandon final turned and looked her in the eyes. “Just over seven months if you want to be precise. And yeah, I am different. War will do that to a person, Reagan.”

         His words stung more than expected, making her flinch. “I know, Brandon. I watched the news. I asked you not to go remember?”

         He set the coffee on the porch rail. “So you’ve told me enough times. Reagan, you can’t keep blaming me for Henry’s death.”

         Hearing her brother’s name felt like a punch to the stomach and angered her. “You didn’t pull the trigger…”

         “No more!” His burst of anger startled her. “It was his choice, Reagan. He had his ideals and I had mine.” He jabbed a finger at her. “I begged him but he was a fool just like always; too prideful to see clearly. He picked his side, his loyalty. He picked wrong and it killed him. Not me!”

         She stood stunned, infuriated by his temerity. A sudden beeping interrupted her retort. Brandon looked at his wrist com and sighed.

         “Curfew already, so go inside. Remember, if anyone steps out of the house they’ll be shot without question.”

         Reagan picked up his cup and walked inside without looking back.

         Brandon stepped off the porch, saluting the armed guards. We all chose sides…
© Copyright 2015 Cupadraig~The Remote Country (cupadraig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058183-The-Choice