*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058571-The-Curriculum
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2058571
A surreal story about the potential future of public education.
The whole of reality arises from our thoughts. There is nothing in this world that did not exist first as an idea. What we perceive as the external world is a reflection of our collective consciousness. In the beginning, before the word, was a thought, and that thought became action, action which created an entire universe. Human beings now inhabit the universe and possess, like the original, primordial force, powerful creative potential. The thoughts contained within each individual mind have the capacity to contribute to the formation of this world. For better or for worse, value added or non-value added, each of us participates in the co-creation.

In a possible alternate world, a war over the destiny of mankind is fought in the battlegrounds of the mind. One faction seeks to inhibit human development, the other seeks advancement of the species. Certain individuals, through a hard process of awakening and the occasional spontaneous revelation, become aware of their role in this conflict. Most people, however, live their lives in total, merciful ignorance, never suspecting that they are, by proxy, combatants in the war for the future.

Christopher Shepherd is one such man who lives in a state of blissful ignorance. Forces are moving around him, though. Spheres of influence are aligning, waves of change are converging upon him. Soon he will shed the scales of sleep from his eyes. Soon he will awaken to the harsh light of the truth.

Christopher is a first grade teacher at a small school in a suburban neighborhood. He is a middle-aged, married father of two. He loves his family, enjoys his work, and is a generally congenial man with a positive attitude and an optimistic view of life. He gets along well with his coworkers, is liked and respected by his students, and is adored and admired by his family. In the evening, he and his wife, Lucy, walk the dog around their quiet neighborhood. On the weekend, the whole family enjoys leisure time together – baseball games, barbecues, board games, and movies. Christopher leads a remarkably typical middle-class life of quotidian banality, but he is happy and fulfilled.

The day his life changed course began like any other...with one exception: he had awoken from a dream he would never forget. Over breakfast, he made an attempt to share it with his wife. “Had a weird one last night,” he said casually, sipping his second cup of coffee. “I mean, wow! Not sure how to even describe it...” He and his wife often shared their dreams with each other. She knew what he was referring to immediately. “Care to try?” she asked, genuinely curious.

“Well,” Christopher said, taking a minute to gather his thoughts. “I was in a classroom, only I wasn't teaching. I was a student, sitting at a desk. There were other people there, other adults...they were students, too. I was just sitting there, a little confused, but curious – I didn't know why I was in that room. Then the door opened, and in walked this strange looking man. It's hard to explain, but somehow I knew he wasn't completely human. He sort of glowed with an electrical aura, like a ghost, or hologram...or something. Anyway, it was bizarre, but I wasn't frightened. I was actually in awe. I felt privileged, honored to be in his presence. This spectral man stood at the blackboard and started speaking to us. I can't recall his exact words, but he made me – and the others too, I'm sure – feel special, selected...like we had been recruited for a very important task or mission. I wish I could remember exactly what he said! It was amazing, profound stuff.”

Christopher finished his coffee and looked deeply into Lucy's eyes, gauging her reaction to his dream. “ I feel like I was given tremendously valuable information – information of vital importance – but I can't recall anything specific. Anyway, the strange man looked directly at me, raised his arms, said 'Christopher, save the young minds!' and blasted me with bolts of electricity from his fingers. I woke up startled, and I could actually feel my head tingling. Whew! What a dream.” Christopher exhaled, relieved. It felt good to share the weird dream – a dream that had actually left him a bit shaken, slightly disturbed. Lucy was now studying his face, clearly deep in thought. Christopher trusted her insights.

“Sounds to me like you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself to succeed,” she said. “You want to be a good teacher, a good role-model. You have high expectations of yourself and your students. You fear failure, you fear letting down your students. You value education and are proud of the work you do, but you are an idealist with high standards. I think you need to be a little easier on yourself. You are a good teacher – and a good person! I think you had a stress dream.”

Christopher thought that over before replying. “Hmm...you could be right,” he said. “I do have that meeting with Principal Woodbeck this morning. I'm sure the dream is a reflection of my anxiety. It was a strange one, though. So vivid!”

The rest of the morning followed routine course. Christopher arrived at the school just before 8 AM. He went directly to the faculty lounge, hoping to spend a few relaxing minutes reading the paper and perhaps catching up on gossip before his meeting with Woodbeck. As usual, the lounge was full of teachers. On a typical morning, one would find a variety of moods on display – some teachers arrived for work eager, alert, enthusiastic about their jobs. Some were less than thrilled. A few jaded souls had grown to strongly dislike what they did for a living and would rather be anywhere else. Some teachers, Christopher suspected, actually hated children and tragically chose the wrong profession. On this day, Christopher could instantly perceive a certain excited buzz in the air as he entered. Some juicy gossip going 'round, he thought.

Christopher took a seat on a sofa, picked up a newspaper from the coffee table, and listened to the chatter. There were 15 or so teachers in the room, all talking at once in an animated frenzy. It became clear that most were talking about meetings they had with Principal Woodbeck – meetings in which, undoubtedly just like the one scheduled for him that very morning, school policy and protocol had been discussed. Apparently, some rather substantial changes were being implemented. Not being fully cognizant of the facts, Christopher stayed quiet and simply listened.

Linda Hashtieg, a fifth grade teacher fresh out of college and full of youthful enthusiasm, was speaking:

“I think the new curriculum is simply fantastic,” she said. “It's about time the education system emerged from the Stone Age and embraced the modern world. The classical academic model is stagnant and archaic...not to mention sexist, racist, and totally out-dated. We need to teach children tolerance, equality, and acceptance.” Linda spoke with passion and conviction. Many of the other teachers were vehemently nodding their heads in agreement. Linda's words were, to Christopher's ears, vaguely positive, but somehow devoid of real meaning. Her words did not sit well with him, and as the conversation progressed, he began to feel even more uncomfortable.

“We need to free the impressionable young minds from the tyrannical influence of their parents,” said Albert Genda, a curmudgeonly old teacher nearing retirement. “Children learn by example, and I can tell you, from years and years of experience, that what goes on in some of their homes is downright appalling. Some of those parents are not fit to raise children. They simply can't be trusted. It is our duty, as educators, to counteract the negative influence of the family unit. It is imperative that we prepare them for the real world by carefully redefining and clarifying their values.” Al was highly respected by his peers. They listened reverently as he spoke. Christopher was skeptical, but paid close attention.

“What we do in these hallowed halls will reverberate through history,” Al said. “Through the meticulous molding of these young minds we are creating a bold and bright future. As teachers, we are agents of change. The new curriculum is a true innovation in education.” When Al finished his short but impassioned speech, the room was quiet. The other teachers sat in contemplative silence, as if a sage of great wisdom and authority had just addressed them. Christopher was less impressed. He was, in fact, rather disturbed. The room had taken on the mood of a meeting of revolutionary zealots. The new curriculum apparently had a great effect on the faculty. Christopher quietly excused himself and left the room. He decided to wait out the rest of his time until the morning's meeting with Principal Woodbeck in the empty classroom. He could organize his teaching materials and perhaps clean up a bit before the kids arrived.

As he made his way down the hall towards the classroom, an uncanny, inexplicable feeling of dread washed over him. The familiar halls of the school now felt ominous, alien, even dangerous. He was suddenly filled with profound anxiety. He finally reached the classroom. He unlocked the door and slipped into the darkened room before vertigo overcame him. Leaning against the wall, he took a few deep breaths and calmed himself. That dream, he thought. That's why I feel so weird. That dream spooked me. Recognizing the probable source of his anxiety, he relaxed. He reached over and flicked the light switch.

The illuminated room revealed an unexpected sight – on each desk sat a large computer monitor. They had not been there the day before. “What is this?” Christopher muttered. He walked over to the closest desk, feeling confused and slightly dazed. Large headphones were perched atop each monitor. Each of the monitors displayed the same words and images, all apparently connected to a central computer. The computer was running a software program of the new curriculum. Christopher could see the subjects listed on each screen:

Childhood Sexuality
Gender Identification
Drugs and Alcohol
Violence and Bullying
Death Ed
Pop Culture Appreciation
Social Media
Materialism
Consumerism
Atheism


There were many more subjects of a wildly disparate assortment. The list was extensive and all-encompassing, touching on virtually every aspect of life and the human experience. The software was designed like a video game, and Christopher had no doubt that a virtual reward system of pleasing sounds and images had been included to fully immerse the children in the program. This is Pavlovian conditioning, Christopher thought. Pure brainwashing. Conspicuously missing from the list of subjects were those of the traditional academic variety: math, science, literature, history, geography, etc. Christopher was truly alarmed now. Is this a deliberate attempt to dumb down our children? What purpose do teachers serve in this new system? Why wasn't I told about this?

Christopher realized the time for his meeting was rapidly approaching. He had better get moving if he didn't want to be late. Woodbeck will explain, he thought optimistically. I'm sure there's a good reason for all this. He had a hard time accepting that such drastic changes were being made. He had a hard time believing that those in the upper levels of the system would deliberately sabotage the future. He had a strong sense that there was something just beneath the surface that he could neither see nor understand.

Mr. Woodbeck's office was just down the hall from the classroom. Christopher arrived right on time for the meeting. After checking in with the receptionist, he took a seat and waited to be summoned. In his chair outside the principal's office, he felt like a kid who'd been caught doing something naughty or nasty. He felt as if he were awaiting judgment and punishment. He tried to shake the feeling by engaging the receptionist in small talk. “Busy day?” he asked her. There was no response. She appeared to be ignoring him. “A lot of changes happening around here,” he said. “Things are sure different than when I was a kid!” He managed to force an awkward smile. The receptionist looked up from her computer screen and glared at him. “Yes,” she said. Her gaze locked on his, and Christopher was startled by the cold, lifeless quality of her dark eyes. “Mr. Woodbeck will see you now,” she stated flatly. Christopher got up without saying anything and entered Woodbeck's office.

Inside, the room was dim, and surprisingly chilly. Woodbeck was seated behind his desk, his stern, austere face partially in shadow and partially illuminated by the orange light of a small lamp. Woodbeck had the appearance of a mob boss, or an intelligence agency interrogator. “Christopher, it's good to see you,” he said. “How have you been?” His eyes radiated the same cold intensity as the receptionist's. “Good, thank you,” Christopher replied. “But to be honest, I'm a little nervous about this meeting...and a little concerned about all the changes to the school and the curriculum.”

“Yes, I suspected you would be. Significant changes have been implemented. The program has been activated, and now the next phase is upon us. Our plan for the future requires all participants to work together as a cohesive unit. We must be on the same page, of the same mind. Do you understand?”

“I'm not sure,” Christopher meekly replied. “I'm a little confused, actually. Could you please elaborate?”

“Potential resisters must be identified,” Woodbeck said. “Those who cling to traditional values and modes of thinking must be identified.” Something bizarre was happening. As Christopher watched, Mr. Woodbeck's body began to emit an eerie, red-hued light – he was suddenly glowing with an otherworldly electrical aura. Christopher could see sparks jumping and crackling and could smell a strong odor of ozone. He was terrified. Mr. Woodbeck spoke again, his voice now echoing in a way that made it sound as if it were being channeled from another dimension. “You have been identified as a potential resister.” Woodbeck raised his hands slowly, threateningly. Bright sparks began to fly as the aura around Woodbeck increased in intensity. A moment's pause...and then, from outstretched fingers, Woodbeck directed fiery red bolts of energy at Christopher's head. A brief instant of agony, a ripping sound of skull-shattering volume, a timeless moment of panicked, flailing disorientation...and then Christopher transitioned into awareness.

He awoke, heart palpitating and drenched in sweat, in his bed at home. His wife, Lucy, was beside him. Early morning sun in warm shades of red and orange was just beginning to fill the bedroom. The relief was profound. Christopher felt as if his dream within a dream had revealed a frightening truth. He understood more than ever that being a teacher was more than simply a job – in his occupation he played a vital role in shaping the future through the children he taught. He felt as if, through his dreams, he had been enlisted to serve humanity in a secret, but very real, war. Words flowed through his head: The whole of reality arises from our thoughts. There is nothing in this world that did not exist first as an idea...
© Copyright 2015 Michael Christopher (mcbeauchamp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058571-The-Curriculum