*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058685-Prompt23-The-Number-23
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #2058685
Knight vs. dragon...always a classic!
Word Count: 230 of 230 MAX
DAY 23 Prompt: The Number 23

         Sir Mallory slowly dismounted, determination in his steely gaze. His sword sounded almost musical as it was drawn from its sheath. He reached out and gently touched the twenty-two marks scratched into his saddle. He drew in a deep breath, held it for a moment then turned to face his opponent.

         Lady Sinclair watched as the brave knight approached the dragon, his sword and armor gleaming in the fading sunlight. The dragon attacked first, lunging forward. The knight spun to his right, the sword flashing in a deadly arch. The blow glanced of the dragon’s thick hide inflicting no injury.

         Again the dragon attacked, its jaws snapping, saliva spraying. The knight thrust his sword but the dragon simply clamped down on the blade and ripped it from the knight’s hand. It swung its tail around, the knight never seeing the danger. It struck him in the back, hurdling him forwards. The dragon swatted the unbalanced knight in the chest sending him crashing across the cave’s entrance. He lay unmoving. Lady Sinclair’s screams echoed off the stone walls as the dragon carried its dinner deep into its lair.

         The sun was long down when Sir Mallory regained consciousness. His body ached as he pushed painfully to his feet. Reaching his steed, he drew his dagger and scratched another mark into the saddle. Maybe it was time to rethink his profession.
© Copyright 2015 Cupadraig~The Remote Country (cupadraig at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2058685-Prompt23-The-Number-23