*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060775-The-Lightning-in-the-Bottle---Chapter-2
by CDB
Rated: E · Chapter · Fantasy · #2060775
The story continues. Read on. Write on. Whatever.
When Jakob arrived home, he realized that someone had stolen his wallet. He spent over three hours negotiating with automated voices to deactivate the credit and debit cards that were stolen.

In Jakob's cramped living room, there was just enough space for a small couch, a small tv and a wall clock. Jakob lays on his side and glances at the clock. He has an hour left before he has to leave for work. At his job, he sorts products from a conveyor belt to be accepted or rejected for packaging. He hates his job. Jakob lets loose a weary sigh and turns his head toward the ceiling. He gets the feeling that he's missing something; something besides his wallet. He spends the next 45 minutes thinking on his couch and before he knows it, it's time to get ready for work.

---

In Jael's room, Joseph sits on her bed and finishes a bedtime story. He shuts the fairytale book closed with one hand. "And that was the story of Beowulf," he says to Jael. She looks back at him with confusion.

"This isn't the pig story, Joseph. This is Rapunzel." Jael pokes him in the cheek. "You need to get better at this," she teases. She sticks out her tongue.

"You just don't get my humor. I'm just glad your mama does." This time, Joseph sticks out his tongue. He stands up from her bed and yawns.

He leans over to tuck Jael into bed but she denies him that priveledge. Crossing her arms, she says, "No, I want Momma."

Joseph shrugs his shoulders. "Suit yourself. I'll get her." He says gives her good night as he walks out the door. Moments later, Carly walks into Jael's room with a frown. She sits on the bed and holds Jael's little hands between her own. Her face scrunches up as she tries to find the right words to say to her progeny.

"He's trying," she finally says. Jael stares back at Carly with childish apathy. Carly sighs and kisses Jael on her forehead before tucking her in.

"Sweet dreams baby."

"Good night Momma."

Jael watches as the door closes behind her mother. Carly slips her hand through the shrinking gap and turns off the lights in her room. Dim sources of light become apparent inside the dark confines of Jael's bedroom.

The link to the next chapter you worthless imbeciles: http://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2061820-The-Lightning-in-the-Bottl...
© Copyright 2015 CDB (efefay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060775-The-Lightning-in-the-Bottle---Chapter-2