*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060785-RAPE-IN-INDIA
Rated: 13+ · Editorial · Emotional · #2060785
Why there's a rise in number of rape cases in India? Who's to blame for such incidents?
RAPE IN INDIA: WHAT TO BELIEVE AND WHATNOT!

We daily come across way too many news reports of rapes in India. Each of them more gruesome than the others, chilling us to our bones as we skim through the details of these beastly acts. However, over the years while going through such news pieces I couldn't help but observe a certain, common pattern in motion after any such report is caught under the media glare.

A woman is brutally raped, or, as is increasingly common these days, gang-raped. News TV channels go on overdrive, having over-heated debates in the studios about how outrageous these daily assaults on women are. Newspaper headlines bare their fury and anger, with some of them even christening the victim so that they can launch a campaign in her name. The suspects are arrested and paraded before the media. A fast track court is set up to ensure speedy justice. The trial goes on and on until the case fades from the media and our memories. And then, another woman is raped or gang-raped, and we go through the whole sorry cycle again.

But while the details of every rape case may vary, the false rumors that swirl around rape remain the same. And no matter how much few of us try to dismiss them, their hold on the public imagination remains as strong as ever.

First up, is the generic belief that the rape is somehow the woman's fault. Why was she out so late at night? Why did she go to such a secluded spot? Why was she wearing a short skirt/low-cut top? Why was she drinking alcohol? Why did she agree to take a lift from a stranger? Why didn't she call her potential rapist 'Bhaiya' and ask for mercy? Why does she sleep around so much anyway? Why? Why? Why?

The questions pile up until the woman ends up feeling like a criminal rather than the victim of a crime. In one way or the other, she is accused of having 'asked for it'. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time in the wrong clothes with the wrong people. It is her fault.

Only, it isn't. No matter what she may have worn, no matter how she may have behaved, no matter how late it was, and no matter how much alcohol was involved, the rape was not her fault. It never is. No woman 'asks' to be raped. No woman ever.

And while we are on the subject, let me get this one thing straight for once and all. NO means NO. And anyone who doesn't respect that is a rapist. It is his fault that the rape happened. He is the one who 'asked for it'. He is the criminal. He is the one who should be punished. And he is the one who should be shamed and ostracized by society.

The second mass-view is that cities and some cities in particular, are more prone to breeding rapists than others. At the moment, Delhi is denounced as being the rape capital of India, but given the number of rapes being reported from Mumbai, the most infamous being the gang rape of a young photo-journalist, the crown of shame may well shift. In the meantime, we are all subjected to the ridiculous and definitely not required 'Delhi vs Mumbai as rape capital' storyline.

It seems absurd to me that this needs saying but say it we must: cities don't rape woman; men do. And not all men, either, just the rapists among them. And these rapists live everywhere: in sprawling metropolises, in sleepy small towns, in dusty villages. It is not their location that determines their corruption but their perverted minds.

If anything, the plight of women who live in small towns and villages is worse, because patriarchy and misogyny are even more entrenched in these areas. And if you are raped here, the chances are that the national media will never get to hear about it, the police will laugh in your face when you try to register a case, and if you do succeed in taking the matter to court, society will shame you and your family at every turn.

But the most dangerous myth of all is that if a woman is raped then her life is over. That being raped is somehow worse than being murdered because her 'izzat' is worth so much more than her life. The truth is that just as a woman's virtue is not located in her vagina and cannot be stolen from her by an act of forcible penetration; her life also cannot be reduced to one heinous crime that was committed against her body.

Rape may have been the worst thing to happen to her, but it is not the thing that will define her. Life will go on. The scars will heal, the memories will fade, she will find love, she will laugh, she will take pleasure in the sight of a beautiful sunset, she will raise a family, and she will grow old. But most of all, she will learn to live again.

Because there is much more to a woman than her vagina. And her life is worth a lot more than her so-called 'honor'.





© Copyright 2015 charu13 (charu.cs12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060785-RAPE-IN-INDIA