*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060939-Water-Bandits
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2060939
When you're the best there is always someone who wants to be better - or they are The Law.

Every planet had rivers, lakes, oceans, etc. They even had a Mississippi Delta. But they weren’t known, or called, by that name. This is one of those planets.


Water Bandits


     It was turn of the century on the planet of Wekkim. And it was a time when the rivers were used a lot to transport people and cargo around the largest Land Mass. The biggest river on that Land Mass was the Kellic WaterWay. It was having a lot of trouble lately – with Inland Water Bandits.

     There had always been Water Bandits. But they usually work in small group on smaller rivers around that large Land Mass. But more and more people, and businesses, were starting Communities along the shores of the Kellic WaterWay. When they started the Water Bandits started showing up.

     At first the Water Bandits were like the ones in the smaller groups: There were two to five Water Bandits per group. And they were often brothers, sometimes sisters, or other relatives. Most of the Water Bandits were pretty young. But there were some that were older – and a few that were very old.

     The Water Wars started about ten years ago. There were three groups of Water Bandits. And each one claim to be the Top Bandit. That’s why the Water Wars began. Two of the worst, if not the worse, Water Bandits were Haigal and Sorca. They were brother and sister. And they were ruthless. There was nothing they wouldn’t do to get what they wanted – especially when it came to killing.

*******

     Sorca was the Look Out at the moment. She was watching out for the two other Water Bandit groups as they were sailing away from their latest conquest. They didn’t get much in the way of cargo. But they did get to kill all the crew. And they always feel better after the go on a killing spree.

     Haigal was behind the wheel of The Kellic WaterWay. He was also watching out for the other two Water Bandit groups. But he was watching forward. While his little sister, Sorca, was watching behind them.

     As they were passing a riverboat both Haigal and Sorca was watching it very closely. That because one of the other groups was using riverboats to hide their Water Bandit operations. Haigal and Sorca were also ready, they were always ready, just in case that riverboat they were passing was one of the ones being used by the other Water Bandit group.

     The weapons they carried were hand weapons and long blades. And The Kellic WaterWay had large Ball Blasters, six on each side, and long weapons. Haigal and Sorca where there alone. There was fifteen other Water Bandits in their group. And each one of them also had a hand weapons and long blades.

     Haigal and Sorca did all of the steering and the look outs. The other Water Bandits in their group also did look out duty. But right after sailing away from their latest conquest it was also either Haigal or Sorca behind the steering and the look outs. Not only did they have to look out for the other two Water Bandit groups they also had to look out for The Law.

     “It’s not easy being the best,” Haigal and Sorca were always saying. “Everyone is always trying to be better than you – or trying to stop you. Either way they are all trying to kill you.”

     There wasn’t a week that didn’t go by that Haigal an Sorca didn’t get into a fight with one of the other Water Bandit groups. And it was usually two of them per week. One from each of the other Water Bandit groups.

     “If they ever teamed up together they might have a chance to be better than us.” Haigal once said. “Luckily for them that will probably never happen because they are too greedy to team up.”

     “It will never happen because they aren’t as ruthless as we are,” responded Sorca. Out of the two she was the worst. “They aren’t afraid to take what they want. But they don’t want to kill to get it. Sure, they will kill if they too – but once the victims realized they weren’t us they usually didn’t have to kill them.”

     Haigal and Sorca love the reputation they got. It made taking what they wanted so much fun. But killing everyone there was even more fun. They really love that everyone knew who they were – and feared them. Everyone also knew that if they came up against them they were dead.

*******

     Their parents were killed by ruthless Water Bandit on one of the small rivers on the other side of the large Land Mass. Haigal was thirteen at the time. And Sorca was nine. Now they were on their own. The first thing they did was hunt down, and kill, those who killed their parents.

     The next few years they wondered around from one Community to another taking what they wanted, or needed, to survive. Then one day, Haigal was sixteen then and Sorca was twelve, they got involved with a small group of Water Bandits who knew they killed The Ruthless Ones. And that’s how they became Water Bandits. That was twenty years ago. The last fourteen years traveling up and down the Kellic WaterWay. And being at war with the other two groups who also claimed the Kellic WaterWay as theirs for the last ten years.

*******

     Haigal and Sorca knew that someday they would either be killed during battle or they would grow old and die or Wekkim would move onto their next era of life. The last part didn’t really bother them. They knew that sooner rather than later Wekkim would enter their next era of life. But that didn’t bother them. Neither did growing old and dying. Haigal and Sorca knew they were going to killed in battle – probably together. Until then they were going to have some fun.


The End?








© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2060939-Water-Bandits