*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2063091-Nanoprep-2015-Contest-4
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #2063091
Nanoprep 2015 Contest 4
“Good evening and welcome to Special Report. I am Ryan Cooper. Our lead story is the new law enacted just this afternoon that will affect all of you in one way or another. For more in this story, let’s go straight to our political correspondent Oliver Barker, standing by outside the Senate with the very latest. Oliver?”
“Ryan, thank you. Today, we see the fruits of the week long special session that began immediately following what some are now calling the Revelation. As you know, just a couple of weeks ago, it was revealed that a number of people in various walks of life, from blue collar workers to movie stars, athletes and even politicians, had various enhancements implanted in their bodies. The purpose was to enhance their abilities to perform their duties, whatever those were.”
“Oliver, are you saying they created an unfair advantage for themselves?”
“Ryan, exactly. After the first reports started coming in from the early detection task force, it became very obvious that some very successful people throughout our society had cheated their way to the top. The outrage grew as the revelation grew. Within days, a special Senate session was called to deal with this issue directly and here we are today, the results of an intense week of work for the Senators.”
“So Oliver, what can you tell us about this law?”
“On the surface, it’s pretty simple. Bodily enhancements are outlawed. There are, of course, exceptions for medical and mental conditions as well as a variety of other details we have not yet had time to fully understand.”
“So what happens to those that already have the enhancements? Do they go to jail?”
“Ryan, it depends on the circumstances. Those that have used their enhancements for personal gain will have to go through a trial where it is determined if fraud was committed and how severe. Restitution to those that were affected by the cheating will also be decided at this time.”
“What about those that didn’t do anything wrong? What will happen with those?”
“This is where this law gets controversial. It sounds like most agree that those that cheat needs to pay the price but the consensus within the Senate is that those with enhancements need to be separated from society. Exactly how this will happen is not clear yet but it is likely to be in some sort of colony or camp where all of those with enhancements can live away from the general population.”
“Some would say this is a rather harsh punishment for those that haven’t done anything wrong with their enhancements.”
“Ryan, that is true and from what my sources tell me, this was one of the largest bones of contention during the discussions this past week. However, again, the consensus is that for the rest of the population to not have to wonder whether they are being passed over for something because someone else is artificially better, this is the way it has to be.”
“Ryan, thank you. We will return to you for further developments in the next few days. And you, our viewers, with today’s new developments, you will be safe from the cheating ways of the Intermediates, those that aspire to be more than just human. Next, we will take a look at the weather…”
© Copyright 2015 TechieInAK (techieinak at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2063091-Nanoprep-2015-Contest-4