*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2063608-The-Virus
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #2063608
A sinister plot to end humanity
You know a day is going to be bad when the fuzzy clouds that normally dot the sky, disappear. Nothing seemed particularly off about the day and yet everyone felt that something was off. The theories were crazy but nobody seemed to know anything other than they had a strange feeling. For me though, I knew that it was the day that the world was going to end. Somehow, I just knew what it was and I was ok with it.

In the morning I put on my pink polo for my girlfriend. For some reason she loved me in it, and I wanted her last day on Earth to be a happy one. Seeing her smile one last time, would make the eternity I was about to spend without her a little more bearable. Of course I knew more than what the other did about the upcoming apocalypse, and that was who was behind it. That made me much smarter than the rest and also much more dangerous than anyone else alive. The reason I knew was because I was the one who helped devise the plan before my memory was to be erased and my normal life was to resume.

At exactly 10:07 am, a plane was flew across the skies of New York City. It was planned this way to ensure maximum foot traffic on the streets. Just as it was above Times Square, the plane exploded into a fireball. In an instant, body parts began to fall from the sky. It was literally raining men.

My back pack was at my feet, I was ready for what was supposed to happen next. It was no longer a matter of IF it was going to happen but WHEN. If my calculations held, the first victim had probably already been infected, which meant that the virus would be spreading faster than rumors about a Hollywood Hunk's sexuality spread. Nobody would believe me if I spoke out, it sounded too crazy. If I didn't have firsthand knowledge of what happened I would be one of the flock.

As I hit the street, I watched cozy couples holding hands, as if a major crisis hadn't started. Their ignorance could be forgiven but there was no time for it. As I made my way around the love birds, I saw it. The first person afflicted with the virus, I knew what I had to do. People passing by me started to scream, when they saw that I had my pistol. If they only knew that I was probably buying them a few extra days to be alive. A few extra days of not becoming a zombie.

As my finger squeezed the trigger, a moment of pure clarity fell upon me. Ever since I was a small child, I was different. Somehow I had always been able to dissect biological matter and turn it into something else. When I reached the tender age of 16, I was recruited to help with a massive project. Helping meant that my college was paid for, and I never had to worry about money again. It also meant that my family stayed safe. However I doomed humanity with my actions.

The sound of the gun firing brought me back to the present and the mission at hand. There was a slight chance that I could stop this whole thing from becoming a catastrophe if I stopped the people who were already infected. My eyes darted around the city blocks, taking everything in as if it were brand new. A mom and pop coffee shop was offering hot chocolate with marshmallows.

My phone chirped, I ignored it because I assumed it my mom calling to inquire about the explosion. I didn't want her to worry nor did I have the heart to tell her that I was responsible for the end of the world coming. I kept my eyes moving looking for another one. Every person on the plane had been affected with the virus and if a living person came in contact with the blood or other bodily fluid of an infected person, it would be transmitted. Once again my phone rang, this time I answered.

"Hello."

"Don't be stupid Dwayne. You knew what you were getting into. This is happening and you can't stop it. Remember you said yourself that there is no antidote for this. Let the zombie apocalypse happen. It's better this way. Now the Government will be the people." It was Agent Lincoln on the other end. "And do you really think that we only targeted New York City? There are similar planes over Washington DC, Chicago, and Los Angeles."

Before I could answer, Lincoln disconnected. If what was said proved to be true, then there was no hope for me to stop this, I could only survive. Grey caught my eyes, and then I realized that it was the color of a person, rather a zombie. This wasn't just any zombie though, it was the woman I loved. My sweet Carolina. Her blond hair was matted to her head, her once vibrant blue eyes were sunken in. It felt as if my heart was ripped out of my heart.

"I love you." I said sweetly as I raised my gun and fired three shots into her head. Her body fell to the ground and I cursed the day that I agreed to help a secret department of the CIA bring down the Federal Government by killing innocent people with the zombie virus.

When people ask, when history is written, I will be the reason that it started and the reason that it ended. If there is an end before the entire human race is erased from the world. Since this is the beginning, anything is possible.

© Copyright 2015 Author Ed Anderson (spaz11081 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2063608-The-Virus