*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064151-A-November-to-Remember
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2064151
Is this a Short Story or a Blog entry. You decide?

A November to Remember


     ‘It the beginning a new month. And it is time to set my goals for the next one. It’s going to be pretty much the same as last month. The only real difference is its November instead of October.’ PureSciFi sat in front of his Video Data Monitor thinking about what he was going to do.

     ‘My main goal is to write four Anniversary Reviews a day. One for each template I created. I planned to do that last month. But I couldn’t do it. I’m already at least one day behind that goal because I haven’t had a chance to read any Short Stories. And I’m not going to be able to until almost tomorrow at the earliest.’

     ‘The first thing I need to do is create a folder told hold all the stories I want to review for this month. And within that folder I will create a folder for each genre I want to review. I review stories from Science Fiction genre of course. But I also like Mystery, Drama and Action/Adventure too. If I need to I can also review stories from the Crime, Horror and Romance genre too. Within each genre folder there are two more folders. One is for GP reviews. And the other one is for non-GP reviews. I also do the GPs first.’

     ‘I also participate in several monthly contests too. They include Dialogue 500, Try Something new, Genre Times Four – which is a bi-monthly contest, Three Prompts, Twisted Tales and sometimes the weekly Prompt Me contest. I’m also involved with two daily contests too – the Writer’s Cramp Contest and the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge. I also want to write stories for any WDC contest that might come up this month. There is usually at least one per month. Let’s just hope it’s not another one like in the September’s Outworld, misspelled Outworid on the webpage World Domination Contest. I worked hard on that contest for nothing – I was never told it changed, if it changed at all, to a WDC site. That sort of contest should be outlawed.’

     ‘The World Domination story wasn’t a total waste of time. I was able to split it up into three parts for the Twisted Tales contest. This month will the third part. Which is the best part I think. The worst part about that contest is that I was guaranteed GPs – and I never got them. That’s why I think contest like that shouldn’t be allowed.’

     ‘Other than my writing I don’t plan to do much this month. I am starting a process for moving back to Lawrence, KS later this month. But me and my brother aren’t actually going to start moving until December. I’m also working on going back to IRS early next year. I have applied for a few Seasonal positions. And with my thirteen years of experience there I should get offered at least one of them. I’m going to continue applying for work there until I get something. I like my work as a Security Guard. It gives me time for my writing, and reviewing, but now that I can no longer get WiFi at my post even that is limited – especially with my reviewing. Besides that, IRS pays one-and-a-half or more times better than my security job. I don’t know what will happen after the Seasonal position is over.’

     ‘As you have just read nothing much is going to change this month from the last one. But there is going to be some differences. And who knows what will actually happen this month. After all, this is only the first day. Anything can happen. And whatever it is, or they are, it will probably not be good. I know that there isn’t going to be a lot different this year than last. But like I just said above anything can happen. And it probably will.’

     PureSciFi sat back in his chair. And read over what he just wrote. He was looking for writing errors, especially grammar ones because he’s so bad with grammar, like misspelled words and using the wrong tenses. PureSciFi uses Microsoft Word. And it’s good at pin-pointing misspelled words. It usually detects tense errors too. But not always.

     ‘This looks more like a blog than a Short Story. But it’s a Short Story. I have thought about starting a blog of my own. And I could do a monthly, maybe even a weekly or daily, right now. But in a few months when I start back at IRS I am going to have to cut back a lot, especially on my reviews, on my writing. Besides, I wouldn’t know what to say. I might be doing okay on this one. But most, if not all, will look more like this last paragraph – or worse.”


The End?

© Copyright 2015 PureSciFi (spacefaction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064151-A-November-to-Remember