*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064296-Mr-Lindens-Library-of-the-Inksters
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Children's · #2064296
Courtney always loved books, that's why she stole one from Mr. Linden. What could go wrong
Mr. Linden’s Library
From the moment she first laid eyes, it called her. A longing, ominous call that she couldn't shake off no matter where she went in the library. It was rather small, with black leather binding, and glittering golden letters, that she couldn't read. Still, she had to have it. However, Mr. Linden gave a grim look at the book.
Mr. Linden was the library's owner and great friends with Courtney. The two often shared jokes, stories, even books. They loved the library and Courtney helped out whenever she could. It would seem a rather strange sight at first. A young girl with shoulder length curly hair that was a darling platinum blonde and leafy green eyes, who barely came up to Mr. Linden's torso. He was a big, well-muscled man of 6'3", with long tousled auburn hair that he often kept in a ponytail. Hair also covered his chin, though he'd shave every so often. He would trim his mustache as well, which gave him the look of one of those heroes one sees in novels full of zeal and romance. No wonder one could find many ladies at the library. 😏
"Dear Courtney, don't take that book!" He gasped, adding quickly, "It will bore you. And you won't even understand half of the words." Courtney knew something was off from the way Mr. Linden fidgeted his fingers and raised his voice. "But Mr. Linden, no child's ever gonna have a good word bank without investing in wordy books. You said that!"
Mr. Linden sighed then knelt down before her. Placing his heavy hands on her shoulders, he fixed her with his most concerned look. Courtney's eyes were wide. Mr. Linden rarely gets this worked up. He was one of the most compassionate, sweet adults she'd ever known.
"Now listen, Courtney, I don't want you reading that book. It-it contains things..." He pondered for the right words.
"Things like...?" Courtney wondered, fidgeting under his stare.
"Things that will change your world, turn it upside down. Yes, upside down." He waited for her response.
Slowly, she nodded, yet not quite sure what he was saying. He held one of his hands out, keeping the other firmly on her shoulder. Searching his eyes, Courtney was stunned to find that he meant it.
Hand it over.
Refusing a frustrated scream, she lifted her leaden arm with the gold book, laying it gently in his hand. Seeing her agitation, Mr. Linden wrapped her in a bear hug. She sighed, a natural effect of his bear hugs, huge as he was. Each one always seemed to lift her spirits. However, when he let her go the feeling faded, replaced by irritation. She watched him go as he clutched the book tightly. Curiosity peaked to its volume.
What's in that book? Her mind swirled with possibilities. The more she wondered, the more she dared to know. Hurrying after him, she made it her goal to get that book and read it, with or without Mr. Linden's approval.
πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
Walking briskly, Mr. Linden did his best to remain calm.
She found out. He'd feared this day would come, and his suspicions would be confirmed. She's one of them. Now, the world's at stake. She can't read this book, she mustn't read this book, DO NOT LET HER READ THIS BOOK! He headed for his office, which was in the center, where cameras could easily spot anyone going in or out. Aside from cameras, his assistants would be scuttling about, sure to spot some trickster or snoop.
"Hi Mr. Linden!" Tenten, one of his assistants had shown up. Sadly, her greeting went unheard. She watched as he passed by with a pondering look. What's gotten into him? She wondered.
Entering his office, Mr. Linden shut the door then proceeded to hide the book. After some debate (for where is a good place to hide a book?) he locked it inside the bottom drawer of his wooden filing cabinet, shipped exclusively from Switzerland. Closing his eyes, he prayed "Please, please don't let her find this, Abba Father. Amen."
Straightening himself, he let out a long sigh, then exited the office, making sure he locked the door. Upon leaving, he suddenly bumped into a speeding object. Tumbling to the floor, he made out strawberry blonde hair and a mess of freckles. "Oscar!" He cried.
The little boy, no more than 8, smiled sheepishly. "You must be careful when you're in the library Oscar!" He thundered, more lighthearted than angry. After all, Oscar was one of the sweetest kids. Still he'd made himself a reputation as one of the rascals at the library, keeping everyone on their toes with his mischievous pranks. Laughing, the little boy stood and grinned, stretching out his hand. Mr. Linden knew what was coming. Still he reached out and- "Hah!" Oscar jerked it out of reach, "You thought!"
"Aargh!" Mr. Linden got to his feet and made as if he were going to pounce. Oscar ran off giggling. Shaking his head, Mr. Linden felt more relieved now. He gave his office one last look, then went to find Tenten.
πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
Whoa. Mr. Linden had locked his door. He NEVER locked his door, except for when he has food for parties or movies to keep little buggers out. Courtney knew that he didn't want her to get that book. But the more he hid, the more she wanted to know.
Luckily, Oscar came by. Courtney laughed at their crash, and then, when Oscar ran back, her hand shot out, dragging him behind the bookshelf with her. "Lemme go!" He growled, trying to bite her hand.
"Oscar! Do me a solid!" Courtney expertly kept the 8-yr old's mouth out of reach. Still wrestling, he cried "What!?"
"SSSH!"
Crap. Tenten. She was one of the few assistants willing to kick people out.
Courtney lowered her voice, "I need Mr. Linden's keys."
Whispering as well, Oscar stopped struggling. "Ooooooooooooooooooooooh! You tryna steal!" He pointed his hand, "Steal, steal, steal!"
"Hush!" Exasperated, Courtney held out her hand. "Jolly Ranchers." Pursing his lip, Oscar crossed his arms. "Bubble gum." Courtney tried again. His eyes furrowed.
"Popsicle." She pleaded. No budge. Aagh! She needed to think of something quick. Reaching into the far recesses of her memory, she grasped one. "Snakes!"
Oscar frowned. Reaching into her pocket, she pulled out a rubber snake no bigger than an inch. "I got ten of these. They're 10 inches."
"So?"
"If you leave them in the tub for 3 days, they'll grow to 600% their length!"
Oscar's eyes widened. She had him. "600%?"
"Yep."
"How big is that?"
"As big as your mom!" Courtney joked, but quickly added "Seriously, these things'll be as long as her!" When Oscar frowned again.
"Hmmm." Oscar put on a thinker's pose, but Courtney knew he'd accept. Halloween was at the end of this week, and Oscar never let a good holiday go by without a good pranking. Especially Halloween.
"Deal?" Courtney asked.
Grabbing her hand Oscar firmly shook it. "Deal." Courtney smiled, then gasped, withdrawing her hand.
Seeing the buzzer in Oscar's palm, she aimed a hit on his head, but he already dashed off.
"Meet me here tomorrow!" She called after him.
πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šNext dayπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
"Got it!" He triumphantly held a key ring with 7 keys on it. All bronze and ancient looking, It's them alright, Courtney confirmed.
"Anyone see you?"
"Nah."
"Not even...?" She pointed up. Cameras were stationed at each corner in the library. Mr. Linden was a big no-no when it came to stealing.
Oscar rolled his eyes. "Give me a break! No camera, nobody saw nothing." For extra emphasis, he crossed his heart. "Nothing!"
Nodding, she reached for them, (crossing your heart is serious when making a promise) but he held out his other hand.
Sighing, she zipped open her backpack, quickly looking around to make sure no one was watching, then pulled out the 10 snakes. "Wicked!" Oscar breathed. He was especially fascinated by her king Cobra, black with fierce eyes of crimson.
They exchanged items, bid each other farewell and walked away. Hands in pockets, the right one clenched right on the keys, Courtney strode toward the office. Here we go.
"Hey! Courtney!" Tenten saw the little girl coming. Waving her over, Tenten asked, "Could you help with the Halloween setup?"
This coming Saturday, Mr. Linden was going to have a mini Halloween festival in the library. There'd be face painting, spooky story hour, followed by a trick-or-treat scavenger hunt. Then, he'd lead the kids in a parade, lighting each of the jack-o-lanterns around the library, where everyone would use bats to hit a giant skull-shaped piΓ±ata. Courtney drooled at the amount of candy there'd be.
"Earth to Courtney!" Tenten snapped her fingers, "Are you going to or not?"
Courtney jerked. "Umm, yeah...yes...Yes Ma'am!" She saw Tenten's disapproving look. For a college senior, Tenten was quite strict at polite manners.
Suddenly, an idea struck Courtney. "Hey can I get 20 flyers?" She asked. Tenten cocked an eyebrow. "To spread around school. You know...the more the merrier!" Courtney flashed a smile. "Ok buttercup, but I'm gonna have to go back here and print some more copies." Tenten turned around to pull up the flyer on her desk computer.
Courtney then began blowing softly on the dancing pumpkin toy on Tenten's desk, for the windier it was, the more it shook, and the more it shook, the more papers would slide, and when a lot of papers start sliding...THUNK! Tenten's coffee, which happened to be on the papers, tipped over, attacking the server with its hot fury. She gasped, and Courtney "helped" her clean it up.
"Fiddlesticks!" She cursed.
Courtney held back her smile. Tenten always swore funny, being from New York and going to college, but that's just her style.
"Can I still have those flyers?" Courtney pleaded, her lower lip pucked out.
"Of course! I'm just going to have to *Sigh* manually print it out." Manual printing took a little while, requiring usage of the old printer in the supply room.
"Wait here." Tenten pulled out some familiar brown-looking keys and went to the supply closet, which was 5 yards away. Touchdown.
Glancing about, Courtney inched toward the door. Swallowing hard, she tried it. Yep, still locked. Glancing around once more, she tried the keys.
The fourth one worked, and she was in. She quickly began searching, for the manual printer didn't take that long. Eyes darted to and fro, as she tried to figure out where Mr. Linden would've hid it. His office was rather simple, with a table piled high with boxes, decorations, most likely. Bookshelves covered the walls. Except...the one behind the filing cabinet.
Of course!
Dashing over, she tried the drawers. Top two held nothing, but the last three forced her to use the keys. She had made it down to the last one when she heard a voice.
"Mr. Linden?" Panicking, she hid under the table. Poking her head through the door, a little girl peered around the dark room. She was holding some large paper.
"Mr. Linden?"
Thinking fast, Courtney grabbed some heavy cloth, and spoke using her best impression of Mr. Linden.
"Yes?"
"Oh! Uh, you sound different."
"Just a slight *cough* cold."
"Oh, then um, do you want to see my drawings? For the decorations?"
Sweat beads poked their heads out of Courtney's skin.
"Just, uh, set them down."
"Where?"
"Over there, on my, er, desk."
The girl walked over, setting the paper down. She once again squinted in the dark. Courtney's heart stopped when she stared at the table.
"Something wrong?" She croaked.
The girl started. "Oh, no...just...let me know what you think about them." Turning on her heels, the girl left.
Courtney waited 10 seconds, then darted to the cabinet, wrenching it open, she saw it. Ha! The book!
She grabbed it, and had no sooner locked the door than when Tenten came out of the closet. Fortunately, Tenten dropped some of the flyers, so she stopped to pick them up, while Courtney composed herself.
"Here ya go." Courtney accepted the flyers graciously, and quickly skedaddled out of there.
"Be sure to come early Saturday morning!"
Tenten called.
Courtney had one foot out the door when she remembered. The key!
Just then, she saw Mr. Linden coming out from the kiddy section. "Hello Courtney!" He waved.
She slid the book into her pants. How am I going to give the keys back?!
Her mind raced for a solution as he approached her. "Coming to the festival?" He asked.
"Yes!" She blurted. He squinted at her.
"Everything all right?"
Suddenly, a sneeze so powerful ripped out her nose, spraying mucus on poor Mr. Linden. "Oh!" He covered his face. In her fright, Courtney dropped the keys out of her pocket. Her face grew frightened from embarrassment and being caught.
He pulled out a handkerchief and wiped his face. When he put it back he saw the keys.
He looked at her. "So that's where they were."
"Mr. Linden I-"
"They were in my front pocket!" Bending over he picked up the keys. Holding them in front of Courtney's baffled face, he chuckled, "I forgot where I had put them. Wasn't looking hard enough."
"Yeah..." Courtney practically sighed in relief. She hadn't been caught.
"Oh and I'm sorry about sneezing in your face!"
"No trouble. Find anything to read?"
"No."
"Oh, well, you keep on looking."
"Yea, I'll see you at the festival. I-I'm helping out."
"Splendid! Can't wait! Be sure to come early Saturday. Ok?" He waved at her as she left. Once the library was out of sight, she sped like a jet home, not stopping for a minute.
πŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š4 hours laterπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“šπŸ“š
She lay in her bed, heart pounding. She had it. She had it. She had it. She had it. She had it. She had it. She had it. SHE HAD IT!
After admiring her little brother and sister's costumes, helping clean up after dinner, and reciting her poem for history class, she closed herself in her room, too excited to even think straight. Finally after everyone'd gone to bed, the clock ticked 11:30. Reaching over, she picked up the book, marveling at its black leather and gold letters. Then, hands trembling, she opened.
And read.
And read.
And read.
Never before had Courtney read such fantastical books such as this one. It was confusing yet beautiful. A messy rainbow with each spectrum of words and phrases and characters and lands. She couldn't put it down, the book commanding her will. She was powerless, helpless, and so addictively drawn, there was no way she could put it down.
Finally, she finished. Eyes bloodshot like she'd been staring at the TV, she rubbed her head from the surge of knowledge she'd just absorbed. Suddenly sleep took her over, and she drifted off, knocking the book to the floor.
Unbeknownst to her, the words of the book began to dance about. They wriggled and jiggled, stretched and yawned, all desperately trying to get out. Suddenly, ZOOP! Out popped one, and another and another and another, and...well you get the point. Once the words were all popped out, they came together in a sticky blob. Words upon words, writhing and worming, creeping and crawling everywhere. The blob rose and taking shape, a slim sleek female. The words slowly morphed into skin, while some became tattoos. The result stood, a naked girl in dark-tinted, heavy tatted skin with hair that looked pure ink black.
She opened her eyes, surveying the room. Stopping on Courtney, she walked over and shook her awake. Courtney slept on 'til the girl lifted her by her collar and began slapping. That got Courtney awake.
"Wha-" she sputtered then saw the girl. "Aah!" She cried. The girl abruptly dropped her. Courtney hid under the covers, while the girl yanked them back. Picking up the now wordless book, she pointed at Courtney.
"You. You read this?"
Courtney stared in a daze, swaying like she really was sick. The girl grabbed her hair, forcing her face into the book. "I asked you a question!"
Courtney squealed with pain, but the girl just yanked harder. Tears pouring out, Courtney cried "Yes! I did read it! Now let me go!"
"So you are one..." Whispered the girl. She released the hair and stared at Courtney who whimpered at the sight of her shadowy eyes.
"How long?" The girl asked.
"Huh?"
"How long have you been awakened?"
"Umm, like one minute ago?"
She took a firm step "Don't play with me!"
"Well you did wake me up, like 1 minute ago!"
She growled, "Lie one more time..."
"I have no idea what you're talking about! What awakening? The one where you slapped me?!" Courtney cried, getting more and more upset. The girl arched her eyebrows, her look of surprise. "If you don't truly know, then you must be a natural."
"A natural what?" Courtney asked.
"InkTeller."
Courtney frowned. "Ink what?" The girl laughed. "What else has he kept from you?"
"Who?"
"Linden."
Her heart stopped. "Mr. Linden? What do you mean?"
"Oh so you know him? Hah! That pathetic tool, I'm not surprised."
"Why? What'd he do?"
The girl gave her a look Courtney hated. When people knew something you didn't, and that made them better than you somehow.
"Well...how about I show you?" The girl snickered. Before Courtney could shrink back, the girl's hand latched onto her arm with a solid steel grip. Courtney shrieked, as the girl dragged her out the bed. She broke the window, then looked out. "No!" Courtney pounded on her arm, "Lemme go!" Ignoring her the girl bunched her legs, then sprang out with the grace of a mountain goat. Courtney screamed all the way down, hoping her parents would wake up if they weren't already and come stop this crazy chic.
When they hit the ground, it was a soft landing. Courtney blinked rapidly in the dark, trying to see. The girl then walked, no, glided toward the street. She glided as if she were surfing on water. When they hit the street, everything became a blur, for the girl had now sped up incredibly. Flying down the street felt exhilarating to her. After all these centuries...she could taste the wind in her mouth, hair and every pore on her skin. "Woooooooooooooooooooooh!" She shrieked. Courtney just clung, petrified, for she saw that they were riding on some black inky blob that swallowed the girl's feet. Her head spinning, she thought back to Mr. Linden. What did he have to do with this?
He did try to prevent me from reading the book. Courtney thought, then felt the stab of guilt. He had warned her about the book, but now it was too late. She disobeyed him. Now she was at the mercy of this...thing. Suddenly they stopped. Had the girl not still been gripping her, Courtney would've flown off the blob. Head spinning, she looked around and realized they were at Mr. Linden's house.
Like before, ink-girl bunched her legs and leaped. They landed on the roof with ease. "So he lives here huh?" She snarled. Courtney glanced at her, suddenly fearful. What's she gonna do? The girl stamped her feet. The roof, to Courtney's shock, buckled. The crash left her ears ringing. Once the dust cleared, she gaped. Where the girl had stomped, now lay a HUMONGOUS hole. In its monstrous maw lay the wreckage. Moonlight filtered in, illuminating dust bits as they floated down. With a start Courtney realized that there was a bed under the tile pieces. "Mr. Linden!" She screamed. The girl laughed. Courtney screamed again, this time something shot out, grabbing her arm. She felt herself being pulled down. The girl stood firm, grip still locked on. Courtney screamed as the mysterious force pulled harder. Her arms protested, muscles howled in agony. She was in a tug-o-war and it was tearing her apart. Suddenly, the girl released her grip. Like a rubber band, Courtney shot through the darkness, colliding with another body. The two tumbled backwards. Struggling to her feet, Courtney turned to run, but a hand clamped on her shoulder. "Let me go!"
"Wait-"
"I said LET. ME. GO!!" She gave a vicious kick. The figure bent over and she tore down the hallway, eager to get away from this madness. She had made it to the stairs when the ceiling behind her collapsed. The girl floated down through the hole, her back facing Courtney. "Come out brother! I want to see your face!" She shrieked.
Down the hallway a figured stepped in the moonlight. Courtney gasped.
Mr. Linden!
He rubbed his knee, wincing. She felt sudden shame for kicking him.
"Orea!" He called. The girl waved her hands in the air. Astonished, Courtney watched as black mass began forming in the air. The mass danced before the girl, growing more and more agitated. Suddenly she shot her hand out. The mass pounced on Mr. Linden like a wild animal with rabies. A huge boom shook the house. Courtney stumbled, catching the railing to steady herself. She winced at her sore arms' protest.
She turned back around. Mr. Linden was...Mr. Linden...
Suddenly the smoke parted, revealing an unscathed Mr. Linden holding his hand up in some kind of ninja sign. A black mass danced in front of him. Or at first it appeared black. As the more moonlight filtered through, the black turned out to be a dark, potent kind of blue.
"Orea!" He called again, "What did you tell her?!" The girl, Courtney guessed Orea, formed another mass ball. "Oh brother! We all know you're a better teller than I! But I'm a much better INKER!" She hurled another one at him. He drew an hourglass in the air and his blue mass rose to meet the ball. The two collided in a brilliant display of sparks, making Courtney's head swim with color.
She barely got a grip before another light pierced her vision. She glanced up to see Orea kissing her arms, chanting really low. Ink slowly rose from her tats and the blob transformed into a feral animal. "Courtney! Run!" With a flick of her hand, Orea sent the feral animal straight toward Courtney.
Courtney remembered hearing stories of how people in life-or-death situations experienced a blackout in which their body's shot full of adrenaline and they do incredible superhuman feats of strength and agility. Well, she felt that blackout as everything blurred. Next thing she knew, her legs carried her straight out the front door, as the blob beast raced after her. She could feel it's hot breath on her neck. They dashed out across the front yard.
Courtney heard a half scream, half-hiss. Whirling around, she saw the beast had been disintegrated by a blue spear. Mr. Linden leaped over the yard in one bound. He gripped her arm and in one second she could see no more. A blackness covered her. A velvety blanket, which quickened her breath and nerves.
Just as quickly as it had come, the darkness peeled away, like the layers of an onion. Courtney felt nauseated and she held Mr. Linden tightly for fear she'd vomit. When the sickening smog cleared she found herself in a forest. Moonlight danced through the trees around them and crickets chirped loudly. "Where-" she began, but Mr. Linden turned her to face him. She had never seen his face so...haggard. She must've mirrored it, because he asked, "Are you alright?"
"Uh, yea?"
"Courtney?"
"Y-yes?"
"What did I tell you about reading that book?"
She sighed, "I couldn't help it! I just, gaah, I just wanted to read it! Besides you acted like it was the plague! If you didn't want me to read it, you should've never put it on display!" The bitter accusation flew out. She'd never known it, but until that point she was angry.
Angry at Orea for taking her away from home, angry at Mr. Linden for displaying the book, and angry at herself for not listening to his warning. She sucked in a shaky breath as Mr. Linden hung his head in shame. "You're right." He said softly, "I should've never, ever put that book out. Not for you to find. I just *Runs hand through his hair* I didn't think there'd be any more of you around."
"Any more of me?"
"Courtney," he gave her that look, that look whenever he was about to tell a story and he was going to need her to be quiet and just listen. "It all happened a long time ago." And this is what happened.
Long time ago in early feudal area, a heavenly light like no other fell upon the earth on the darkness. It's luminescence cascaded over the land. Many thought it to be the Second Coming. So an old bard happened to be nearby and discovered that the light contained some sort of sticky substance. When he touched it with his staff, it stuck. In his hurry to shake it off, bubbles floated up, morphing into butterflies. Astonished, he tried waving it some more, and even more bubbles came out, turning into butterflies! He knew that he must tell someone, so he ran to the nearest kingdom, and with much pleading, he finally got to see the king. After he showed the king the butterfly trick, the ink dried up.
The king wanted to see more, so he got some knights and had the bard lead him back to the place of impact. When everyone saw the stuff, their eyes widened. Its color was now that of darkest ebony, for the sun's light drained all the white out of it. Still, it shimmered with radiance, and everyone could feel the power pulsing from it. So the king had the bard, believing him to be a wizard, watch over the stuff and stationed guards.
The bard, seeing his predicament, decided to explore the stuff. He realized the ink could create just about anything, and he began creating all sorts of animals. Then, as he hummed to himself, music notes floated up over the guards, covering their face. Suddenly, the bard turned in surprise to find the guards humming along with his song. He stared at the notes in wonder. It seemed that since he's spent more time the ink grew more attached. Finally, he harnessed it.
Using its power, he protected the kingdom and enriched it throughout the seasons. Many came near and far to witness the miraculous feats of this new wizard. Everyone was astonished by this, and wanted to learn the magic. The king allowed the wizard disciples but ONLY those he felt pure. So the wizard, using his vast knowledge of the ink, created a stone. Each disciple must dip their own pen onto the stone, then they must write all throughout the night. The next day the wizard and was pleased with the results. This was to be called the awakening.
Soon, the school grew and grew and grew. New disciples tried their hand at mastering the power of the ink. Certain sects began appearing. First there were the inkers, those who, like the wizard, created many marvelous things like animals, buildings, weapons out of ink. Then, there was the inkspellers who, like Mr. Linden, were more wordy, using words to conjure their powers. Last came the InkTellers. They were the most rare for they could not only draw power from the special ink, they could draw it from any kind of ink, even paint. The most marvelous thing was that they were born with it! These were the most elite, specifically trained to counter the other's attacks for the wizard feared, that after he passed, some would turn evil and use ink for bad.
Soon enough the wizard died, and in his place came the highest rank of the InkTellers. But many were upset by this and power struggle came close to war. When Mr. Linden and his sister came on the scene, a timid peace had settled. They learned their ink arts, but Orea agreed with most of her sect that inkers should be bosses, for they knew more about the ink. Mr. Linden remained neutral, and advised his sister to do the same but she didn't. She began to practice harder, train longer with her peers. It wasn't until the night of the blue moon, where Mr. Linden and the other inksters discovered that the Inkers were practicing thinner, a new technique that did not create but destroy. It was forbidden to be taught or even discussed, for the wizard knew such power would corrupt the soul. The Inksters and Inkers fought. The first in many to come. Mr. Linden had to go against his sister again and again. Then, the fateful night he tracked her down, along with her peers. He pleaded for her to turn back but she held her ground. The two fought which quickly escalated into a shockingly balanced match.
Orea and her friends gained the upper hand but Mr. Linden had brought paper. For an InkSpeller, this meant that their ink could be translated, interpreted as wrong and journalized, which is exactly what he did. He journalized them all. That's how they became books. And why he didn't want Courtney to read, for her power draws out life, which is what released Orea.
Courtney's head spun as she did her best to understand, but she couldn't shake the terrible guilt that it was her fault. She made a horrible InkTeller...
Mr. Linden's face straightened, "Courtney!" He whispered. Courtney's puppy dog eyes looked at him. He saw her fear as plainly as he knew her name. Without even thinking, he gave her a big bear hug, which made Courtney start crying, which made him hug harder. After she'd settled, he knelt down.
"Courtney?"
"Yes?" *Sniff*
"Are you ready?"
"For what?"
"I have a plan. And I'm gonna need your help." Courtney leaned forward.
"Here's how..." He took out some paper.

Orea manifested, her tattoos agitated, writhing and hissing like vicious snakes. By her side prowled 3 giant feral beasts. They snarled and spit, ready to pounce. Smoothly, Mr. Linden walked out from among the tree line. "Brother Dearie! Are you ready to die?!" Orea cheerily clapped her hands together.
"No. I'm ready to go home and get chocolate for the day. You know I can't function without chocolate."
From her perch in the tree, Courtney watched, fascinated that the beasts didn't scare Mr. Linden. Well, he's got more experience. She reasoned.
Scooting forward, she kept one hand on the tree branch for balance and another on paper. Her heart beat fast. He wanted her to seal Orea back, but she was very shaky. After all, she could screw up, and they'd all be killed, but Mr. Linden kept shooting that down. He believed in her. The thought brought warmth.
She glanced down again at the ferocious beasts and swallowed.
Well, here goes everything.
Mr. Linden told her that she must recite the words of the book backwards. Now at first, she wasn't buying it, but he promised that it came easily. He would distract Orea while she recited.
Closing her eyes, she concentrated on reaching that final word in the book. Her mind dug and dug and dug, 'til she found it. With a deep breath, she began to recite. At first, she drew them out, fearing that she’d mispronounce something, but it actually came to her crystal clear. The words, the sound, all of it, flashed across her head like football stadium ads.
Hey, I can do this.
Orea gave a yelp and looked down. Her tats were floating upward! Mr. Linden cursed. He forgot that they would do that.
"So you're gonna try and reseal me?" Throwing up her hands in the air she sent two of the hound dogs into the tree and the third toward him. "Not gonna happen!"
Mr. Linden sidestepped, forming another weird hand sign. In an instant, Courtney popped up next to him, face white from seeing the incoming dogs. "Keep going! Don't let her stop you!" He yelled, while holding up the sign of defense. Shaken, Courtney kept going, words gaining momentum. More ink floated off Orea's arm.
The beast charged, hitting the shield full on force. It gave a loud tremendous crack, followed by sparks, but the shield held its ground. It howled in rage and charged again. All the while Mr. Linden pondered, Where are the other two?
The answer came when he heard Courtney cry out. He felt a sharp, pinching pain on his legs. The ground!
Grabbing Courtney, he leaped some 20 yards away from the dark swirling mass. Orea laughed. He gave a quick glance at Courtney, who was nursing one of her hands that was bleeding. Still, she kept reciting. In fact she even raised her voice, increasing the leakage of ink.
Orea knew she had to stop the girl from reciting. Waving her arms in a series of fluid like motions, she turned the dark swirling mass into that of a human, then secretly made a tiny spider.
She sent the blob creature charging toward Mr. Linden, who'd summoned a staff. The two clashed in a wild display of sparks. Each fought valiantly, with sharp precision and expert handling. The beast tried to move Mr. Linden away, but his feet remain planted. He wasn't leaving Courtney.
Meanwhile, Orea sent the little spider scuttling the grass to Courtney. It reached her, but bumped into a shield, Mr. Linden had drawn when he grabbed her. The spider hissed, just like the master, and lifted its leg. It began pounding on the shield, showering sparks every other blow. Mr. Linden heard the blows, but was too busy fighting. Hang in there Courtney.
Courtney knew something was attacking but she couldn't see it so she kept right on reciting. Orea flexed her arms, drew a circle on her stomach then clapped her hands together. Immediately more ink began pouring off of her, but this one it went straight to the spider. The spider grew, hitting the shield harder and harder. Courtney closed her eyes tight shut, for a quick glance whitened her face. She kept reciting, louder and louder, faster and faster. It seemed she would make it.
Then...crack!!
The shield broke. The spider's foot slammed down, splintering the earth and sending poor Courtney flying headlong into a bush. She got up wearily, spitting out leaves and twigs. The spider charged at her and she ran. She had paused in her recital, now the words on the white page where slowly dissolving, reforming on Orea's body.
Orea followed the two, cheering on her wicked spider. "Yes my dearie! Go forth! Eat!"
Courtney never ran so fast, but it seemed the spider ran faster still. Her legs were beginning to tire out, her vision started to blur. Maybe I should give up, she thought. After all, I deserve it don't I?
She suddenly tripped, rolling down a hill, hitting a tree. She turned and saw death in the form of a spider bearing down on her. She closed her eyes, waiting. But she felt the paper pulse and hum, agitated. She looked at it and realized it still wanted ink.
With a large squeal the spider leaped. In a flash, Courtney held up the big paper. What came next shocked her. Instead of feeling the spider's fangs, Courtney felt a vacuum swoosh, as if something sucked up air. She heard a piercing scream as well, so she opened up her eyes. Orea stood, well, hovered, shocked. The spider was nowhere to be found. Turning the page she saw it, in all its fury on paper. Courtney then understood. With a mighty cry she leaped into Orea, taking them both down. Orea kicked, trying to dislodge her, but Courtney had experience wrestling with little kids. With all her strength, she forced the blank paper into Orea. The woman cried obscenities, promising death and destruction. But it worked; the paper gave that same suction cup sound.
Orea was gone.
Turning the page, Courtney frowned at Orea's fierce expression. Rising to her feet, she trudged up the hill.
Mr. Linden ran to her. He had some cuts and bruises, but assured her he was quite alright. The beast had dissolved. When she showed him the paper's new pictures, he laughed.
"I never knew you could do it like that!"
Lowering her head, Courtney apologized sincerely about what she'd done.
"Courtney," Mr. Linden knelt, "I couldn't have been more proud whether you listened or not. You showed exceptional use of your powers, and, you didn't back out. Job well done." He patted her on the back.
"Now come, I'll make you hot chocolate."
Courtney giggled. Hot chocolate on a late fall night, sounded really nice. Mr. Linden's ink arose from the ground and the two dispersed toward home.

Unbeknownst to them, a figure had been watching. Its cloak kept it quite invisible, but it saw Courtney's potential, it laughed quietly to itself. "Finally, another." It whispered in a voice as ancient as time itself. With a simple flick of its cloak, the thing vanished, whispering, "Beware little girl."
TO BE CONTINUED...
© Copyright 2015 Krokk4J (krokk4j at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064296-Mr-Lindens-Library-of-the-Inksters