*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064431-In-a-small-town
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Sample · Other · #2064431
The surprises of a small town salon
The town of Maple Grove consists of 284 people, mostly all over 50. The town, as you can imagine, has only one beauty salon and that is run by Sharon Goodrich. She is the daughter of Samual Goodrich who was the towm mayor right up until his suspicious death last year. Some say it was Attal Hermit who killed Mr. Goodrich because he wanted to marry Sharon but that's pure spectulation, mostly becaure Attal misterously disappeared himself right after Mr. Goodrich died. So goes the mysteries of Maple Grove but out in the woods just south of town is a spot where the towns people think Mr. Goodrich was murdered.

Anyway, life was trying to get back to some sense of normalacy. Mable Redbar and Jenny Sassertone decided it was a good day to get their hair done at Sharon's salon. Sharon had reopened her business four months after the passing of her father. Never does anyone menition his death. Nor does Sharon.

Mable was seated next to Jenny, who was having blond highlights put back into her graying hair. "Don't you think you might be a bit too old for blond hair, Jenny? Women of your age should not be running around Maple Grove flaunting themselves at every male in town. Just saying."

Jenny smiled a big toothy smile. "Mable, shame on you. You are jealous of my vouloupous body and don't want me to show it off. Well, as long as I can, I will. So there."

The door of the salon opened and a newcomer enter. Sharon, who never missed a chance to grab a new customer, rushed over, almost taking along part of Jenny's hair. "Oops, sorry, Jenny," Sharon untangled Jenny's hair from her hand, removed the plastic glove, and continued her quest.

Hand outstretched, "Why hello. Don't recall seeing you around here before. Are you from Jefferson or Ashtabula?" Sharon asked holding on to the newcomers hand, shaking it hardily. "Can I do something with your beautiful hair for you? Perhaps a wash?"

Sharon reached up to touch the newcomers hair. A hand shot out to stop her. "Sorry," the newcomer said. "I was attacked as a small child. I've been skittish ever since. Yes, I'd like a wash and a set."

"Oh you poor dear. You just come right this way and set down right here." Sharon motioned to the chair Mable was seating in. "Mable, go seat over in the drying room."

"But, Sharon, you're not done with me," Mable was stunned at this unforgivable treatment.

"Yes I am. You'll be fine for a few minutes. Now move," Sharon was a bit to stern and she knew it. Soon as Mable vacated the chair, Sharon motioned for the newcomer to set. Sharon pulled a plastic shawl around the newcomer and began her ritual all the while chatting as though she had known this person all her life. She had asked Dorothy, her assistant, to come help her finish up with Jenny, much to Jenny's disapproval.

Jenny's was finally through her highlighting and sent to set with Mable, in the drying room. Mable was hot under the collar at her conceived mistreatment. "Did you see what she did to me, Jenny?" Mable practically spit the words out. "Land sakes, what is wrong with Sharon? She's acting like Jesus walked in the front door."

"I seen, but did you notice anything about the newcomer?" Jenny said more to herself than to Mable.

"Why? What do you mean? I don't see anything."

"Just look at her. There's something about her and it's got Sharon all frazzled. I've never seen Sharon act like this before. She's as white as a ghost and look how her hands are shaking. Come to think of it, I'm glad she's not doing our hair." Jenny shook her head. "I think something is wrong here."

Mable reached to Jenny and took her hand. "You're scaring me. What do you mean 'something is wrong'? Could you hear what they were talking about?"

"No. They weren't talking...just Sharon was, and she was talking a mile a minute."

"About what?"

"That's just it. About absolutely nothing...nothing at all. Nothing she said made any sense. It was all gibberish."

"What did the other one say?"

"Not a word. Not one single word. I feel sick. I know something is wrong." Jenny fumbled in her purse for a hankie.

"Do you think we should leave?"

"No, no. We need to stay here for Sharon's sake." Both women became silent, which in itself was a miracle, and sat , wringing their hands and twisting around in the chairs waiting for something to happen.

Within the hour Sharon had finished with the newcomer and proceeded to removed the plastic shawl and turn her around to view the reflection of a stunning beauty. Sharon stood back and gasped. "It can't be," she cried and pulled her apron up to her face.

Jenny and Mable both stood up at the same time. "My land sakes," Jenny stepped backwards almost falling back into her chair.

Dorothy, a bit overweight, waddled over to Mable. "What's going on? Why is everyone staring at Lilly?"

"You know her?" Jenny asked.

"Sure do. She lives over in Maysville. Such a sad story."

"Tell us." Mable and Jenny both moved closer to Dorothy.

"I hate gossip, but....it seems years back someone came over to Maysville and had a fling with Lilly's momma. When he was done with her, the mom, he just left. And as you can see, there was Lilly. Her mom had a heck of a time raising her and then some body tried to have his way with Lilly when she was a child. After Esther married Attal things got a lot better for them."

"Wait. Attal who?" Mable asked.

"Why Attal Hermit. Why? Do you know him?" Dorothy was about to continue her story but Jenny interrupted her.

"Mable? I think I know what happened. Sam must have been the one who went to Maysville. Attal met Esther. They married. Esther told Attal about the night Lilly was conceived. Attal killed Sam....not because of Sharon....but because of Lilly."

"Who is Lilly then?" Mable wrinkled up her nose in question.

"Just look at her. Lilly is Sharon's little sister."


© Copyright 2015 Aneishi (aneishi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2064431-In-a-small-town